USB AMP/DAC for k701
Oct 16, 2009 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

djchaz

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good USB AMP/DAC combination for my k701s to really bring the bass out in them and to properly power them. I listen to music from my computer a lot (everything ranging from classical to jazz hip-hop) so I've been looking at some options like the KECES DA-152. If you have any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

-djchaz

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 7
The Musical Fidelity X-CANV8P. It has the power to drive any headphone and the USB DAC is similar to the well rated MF V-DAC.

When you say you want to bring out the bass, with MF kit you get a ton of detail. You will not get floor thudding lumpen bass. So at first you may find the X-CAN a bit bass light and lacking in dynamics. Once run in, and I would say mine is now along with AKG 702s, both taking hundreds of hours, the bass detail is incredible. I can hear the kick drum and pick out times when it was not hit as hard as at other times. The bass guitar has a level of resonance I have not heard before.

The bass integrates beautifully with the lower midrange and it does not overwhelm it. The emphasis of MF kit is on the midrange, the aim being to reproduce music as accurately as possible.

I listen to a lot of prog rock of all styles and the MF approach means I get to enjoy listening to the details in the music and the musicianship.

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 7
I noticed you're currently using them with the Bithead. I currently have the Bithead, and will probably get the k701/2 soon. Just wondering, how does the combo sound?

Thanks

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiisus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed you're currently using them with the Bithead. I currently have the Bithead, and will probably get the k701/2 soon. Just wondering, how does the combo sound?

Thanks

I've found that the Bithead with the k70x combo sounds quite good together despite what many people say about the the AKGs needing adequate power to sound good. While I think having a more dedicated amp or source would make the AKGs really shine, I still think the Bithead does a really good job, especially for a portable amp.

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 7
Honestly, if you don't feel you have enough bass with your headphones, you need different headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back