US Samsung Galaxy S4
May 30, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #46 of 68
May 30, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #47 of 68
The issue he seems to have with GS4 is 48k vs. 44.1K sampling, and that Samsung is unwilling to address it. DAC quality is a separate issue.

It will be very interesting to compare the two when Golden Ears gets around to them -- and HTC One also.

May 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #48 of 68
I'm still wondering why there is such a massive difference between HTC One and i9505. Technically they have same DAC and HTC One has a discrete amp on it so I don't understand gsmarena's result.

May 30, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #49 of 68
Quote:
I'm still wondering why there is such a massive difference between HTC One and i9505. Technically they have same DAC and HTC One has a discrete amp on it so I don't understand gsmarena's result.

Unless they have updated it lately, the One results shown in the S4 review are incorrect. They did two sets of tests, one with old method and one with new method. The new tests are better, and they were showing new S4 results and old One results in same chart in the S4 review. Look at the One review to see the new results. Apples to apples, they are not very different. Of course, there is no way to compare the new phones to any old ones since they did not retest anything old with the new test.

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #50 of 68
Bumping the thread.

All i can say about the GT-I9500 sound quality is pretty good, i'm currently using my MS2i directly into the S4 and the result is pretty good

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #51 of 68
All I can do is recommend an ES9023 from maybe hifimediy. If you're going to use an amp you will benefit from it. In my opinion it's better than ordering another version of the S4. I'm using the EU version, which I think is i9505. But really, for mobile use, get that wonderful DAC. If you don't have better already. It's also a good and lightweight way of getting the audio to your amp from your cpu untouched and untainted by the internal crap.

Jun 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #52 of 68
I have the Verizon GS4. When used with my Vsonic GR01 I hear zero background noise, I repeat ZERO hiss. I actually heard more hiss out of my old Verizon iPhone 4. The sound here is neutral and detailed just like it should be. There is also plenty of power on board to power these as well. Out of the 16 volume steps I usually listen at between 5 and 7. So the output through the headphone jack is just as powerful as the iPhone 4 it replaced. It may even be just a couple db louder at the halfway mark on the volume dial since I remember having my iPhone usually right at half with the GR01. 

For my full size Fostex T50rp I use the GS4 with my E17 and a USB-OTG cable to get digital audio out to the E17's DAC. So I can confirm that the GS4 can output digital audio over USB with an OTG cable. The GS4 will usually be used with my GR01 just for the portability, but it is nice to have the USB audio out option as well for full sized cans. The GS4 does sound very good with my GR01 though. Android has come a long way, back when I left Android 2 years ago the audio quality of the two Android phones I had used was terrible. I'm glad to see they have stepped up their game here and elsewhere. I'm glad to no longer be stuck with an iPhone.

Also, just as a note, these results are using an Android music player called MixZing (the paid, pro-version) which is available on the Play store. No EQ or DSP is being used at all. MixZing is my music player of choice because of it's simple and well designed, good looking user interface. I've tried PowerAmp, but stuck with MixZing since I have no need for EQ or any other DSP. I like the GR01's just the way they sound, no EQ needed for me.

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #53 of 68
I just completed some A/B testing with the GS4's headphone out versus my E17 as a USB DAC and amp plugged into my laptop. Using my Vsonic GR01, volume matched by ear I played the same 30 second samples of the same songs on each and swapped back and forth a few times and I cannot tell a difference. Both sound the same to these ears.

-The E17's bass and treble were both set to 0, gain at +6, and the volume was at the 20 out of 60 mark. 
-The GS4 was playing the same exact files as the laptop with the E17 which were either 320 mbps mp3, or 256 mbps aac from iTunes. MixZing music player was used, with Android media volume at 7 out of 16.  

I was scared to do this at first for the fear that the E17 would blow the S4 away, but nope, not at all. I can't tell a difference. So to sum up, the US version GS4 with the Qualcomm S600 sounds just fine, at least with sensitive IEM's of greater than 16ohm impedance. The GR01 just for the record are: Rated Impedance: 32Ω, Sensitivtiy: 108dB (at500 Hz). I have read of there being issues with the GS4 and low impedance headphones, luckily mine are of plenty high impedance. 

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #54 of 68
Hi all

My first post at the forum :)

Just wanted to add on with my own experience with the S4 (I9505, european version)
There is definitely a very annoying background hiss with some IEMs.
With my SE535 the hiss is very prominent, but much better with the Sennheiser Momentum (but still very much present)

By using the Fiio E17, the hiss is almost gone so I would guess that this is a amp/impedance problem.

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #55 of 68
Interesting. Mine is the U.S. Verizon Wireless 4G LTE version. No hiss AT ALL with my Vsonic GR01. It has more of a black background than my old iPhone 4 had. There was noticeable hiss with the GR01 on my old iPhone 4, and there is seriously none at all with m S4. It's not me being in denial because it's a new toy either. I've had it a few weeks now and I still think it sounds superb with my GR01, and only requires the volume to be at about 1/3 to get to my desired level. It also sounds great when plugged into my car's aux in, and I also notice no hiss there either, while the old iPhone 4 hissed a little even using the line out dock. I really have no complaints and would say it's the best phone I've had by far.
Quote:
Hi all

My first post at the forum :)

Just wanted to add on with my own experience with the S4 (I9505, european version)
There is definitely a very annoying background hiss with some IEMs.
With my SE535 the hiss is very prominent, but much better with the Sennheiser Momentum (but still very much present)

By using the Fiio E17, the hiss is almost gone so I would guess that this is a amp/impedance problem.

Jul 2, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #56 of 68
Nice to hear you are pleased with the setup. Seems we got almost the same (S4->OTG->E17) Judging by other posts as well, I guess there is a substantial difference between the US and the EU version (9500 vs 9505) when it comes to the noise problem. Strange (I guess it cannot be the DAC as the phone dac is not used when using the E17 with the OTG...)

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #57 of 68
Quote:
Nice to hear you are pleased with the setup. Seems we got almost the same (S4->OTG->E17) Judging by other posts as well, I guess there is a substantial difference between the US and the EU version (9500 vs 9505) when it comes to the noise problem. Strange (I guess it cannot be the DAC as the phone dac is not used when using the E17 with the OTG...)

Hello, just wondering if your E17 works with any music app or do you have to use USB Audio Recorder? A lot of my USB Dacs work with my GS4 but I have to use the USB Audio Recorder App with all of them, Poweramp is a no go.

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #60 of 68
No problem, below are the USB DACs I've tried:

Apex Glacier (Works if I turn off the USB charging feature)
UM PP6 (Same as above)
ALO The International (Works)
Audioquest Dragonfly (Works, but have to manually adjust volume within the mixer of the USB
Audio Recorder App)
CEntrance DB (Does not work)

Unfortunately, even those which work, only work with the USB Audio Recorder App. Does anyone know if the RSA Intruder works with other music apps? I've been eyeing the Intruder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back