US Samsung Galaxy S4
Apr 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 68
http://www.head-fi.org/t/655546/samsung-galaxy-s-4/15#post_9364068

Seems Qualcomm made some improvements to their DAC.

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 68
The main international version uses the same Qualcomm SoC and DAC this time around too. Only the Exynos Octa version will have a Wolfson, and that is being released to a relatively small number of markets. USB audio works though, so if you don't like the Qualcomm SQ then...

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 68
Stumbled into an S4 on a showroom and this time around i didn't even bother to try my UM3x on it.

So uninspiring design and build quality that i won't get one over an iPhone or HTC One even if it had 1 Tb built in storage and a 50ft screen.

Sorry for the offtopic but i just saw it.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 68
lol I know appearance is important but at this point
blink.gif

I hope for music lover that the Exynos Octa version will use the latest Wolsfon WM5102 ...

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 68
Quote:
don't mean to hijack, but the Note II doesn't have the Wolfson, either, right?

The Note 2 has Wolfson, and as far as I am aware there are no variations of the Note 2 that don't (I think the Exynos one was released to all markets).

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 68
Lots of logistics in parts supply and network operating frequencies and so forth in play here, 99% of end-users don't care AT ALL, so can easily see how it makes sense. Those are less an issue for the Note series since it comes ~6 months after the S, by which time some of the issues in terms of ramping up Exynos supply have sorted themselves (and additionally of course there is nowhere near the same demand for the Notes in comparison to the S models).

Is definitely a pain for those of us who are aware of the differences and want one or the other version for various reasons.

May 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #14 of 68
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/655546/samsung-galaxy-s-4/15#post_9364068

Seems Qualcomm made some improvements to their DAC.

The biggest issue you see there is that GSMarena changed their testing methodology, but only for HTC One and Qualcomm SG4. All the rest are old methodology, and appear worse. Also, they still have not corrected the error in S4 tests which shows "old methodology" for HTC One. I have pretty much lost all respect for them.

May 3, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #15 of 68
Don't have my Shure SE535's anymore as I actually prefer Klipsch X10i with my iPhone 5 so just done some back-to-back testing (earphone out) with my S4 that arrived yesterday (not the octa in UK).

Probably not going to be that useful to you audiophiles as I'm no expert but to my ears the S4 sounds as good as the iP5. I always thought the S3 sounded worse than the iP5.

Not using FLAC but am using Spotify Extreme which is 320ogg as far as I know.

Tried a variety of recent UK list music including:

1. The power of Love - Gabrielle Aplin
  2. Scream & Shout - will,i,am
  3. Just A kiss -Lady Antebellum
  4. My One And Only Thrill - Melody Gardot
  5. Hall Of Fame - The Script

I've always hung onto iPhone after trying a number of Android devices because I preferred the sound but with the S4 that's no longer a concern as it sounds great to my ears.

Sorry for crap photo but had to use an old Blackberry to photo them both together!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back