Urgent: Should I buy the Sony MDR-1A for €99
Mar 13, 2017 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ozyx

Head-Fier
Amazon.fr will have the Sony MDR-1A on a Lightning deal in about 11 hours from now and I expect the price to be €99 (that was the price in the last 4 Lightning deals).

This is the best price I've seen the MDR-1A, and in the US they are much more expensive but still recommended.

However I very recently bought the Fiio EX1 (I haven't even received them yet) and I already have the Creative Aurvana Live (1).

I understand the sound is very different from the EX1 so I don't know if anybody can make a direct comparison with those.

But how would the Sony compare with the CAL!? Are they significantly better? They will be driven directly by my mobile and PC.

Please answer soon as this deal will not last for long (but it will probably happen again in 1-2 months)

PS. I hope that this post will not require moderation again. I am a member here for many years and I made tens of posts, but all the threads I initiated lately required moderation and were published much later.

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 26
I bought these (the MDR-1A) about 18 months ago for $300 USD. I returned them the next day. Mostly it was because of head clamping pressure (I have an enormous head, though). I thought the sound was balanced, if not the slightest bit bass-leaning. But in the end, I knew I couldn't comfortably wear them for a couple hours.

I sometimes come across them online and wonder if I made the right decision. Build quality and general fit and finish seemed really good.

Sorry if this doesn't help you much. If you have the option to return them, I say go for it.

PS: no experience with the CAL!

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 26
Seems like the time of the Lightning deal was changed to 10 hours from now... so we still have some time for suggestions! Especially if there is anybody who can compare the MDR-1A with the CAL!.

The Silver model will also be on a deal along with the black, so if I end up buying them the other question is: Black or Silver? I guess it is mostly a matter of taste, but the price of the silver one seems to be higher usually, so maybe they can have higher resale value.

Talking about resale value, would I be able to sell the MDR-1A slightly used after 3-4 months for say €80? I take really good care of my equipment (I even keep the boxes etc). If I can sell them for €80, then losing just €20 (in case I don't really love them) doesn't seem like a big deal.

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 26
  80 euros sounds reasonable, but, have you priced used MDR1-A's? What are they selling for?

Average seems to be about €110-€130 for used at Amazon EU stores. More in US Amazon store.

Here the asking price is also over €100:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/838676/fs-sony-mdr1adac-b-headphones
http://www.head-fi.org/t/834703/sony-mdr-1a
http://www.head-fi.org/t/822265/sold-fs-sony-mdr-1a-mint

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 26
  Average seems to be about €110-€130 for used at Amazon EU stores. More in US Amazon store.

Here the asking price is also over €100:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/838676/fs-sony-mdr1adac-b-headphones
http://www.head-fi.org/t/834703/sony-mdr-1a
http://www.head-fi.org/t/822265/sold-fs-sony-mdr-1a-mint

Interesting that it is more on average in the US. It looks like you should be in good position to obtain your 80 euros at some point. I would not let this hold me back.   ---)

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 26
I wouldn't worry so much about resale, just be concerned whether or not they are what you actually want. Having said that, at that price you shouldn't lose much if you resell.
I paid 150 for mine, and they are my only over-ears, and will remain so until they die - personally, I love them, can't fault the comfort, or the rich yet detailed sound. And I compared with many sets at higher prices, even at 200 I would have bought these. Obviously you will have read all the reviews - don't be deterred by the negatives, the positive way outweigh any minor less than perfect things. For me, they are as perfect as I will ever need in overs.
So, do you really want them? Have a place for them? At that price I wouldn't think twice.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #11 of 26
It is hard to know if it is what I want without trying them. For example I got the CAL! because they receive very good reviews for their price, but I wasn't blown away. In fact I often prefer the sound of my MEE Runaway Bluetooth headphones ($30), which are also much more comfortable to wear and are wireless (which is a bonus for me). The CAL! feel less comfortable and make me tired faster, but unfortunately I can't explain exactly why this is happening.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #12 of 26
The deal started and it is indeed €99 as I expected.... but I still haven't decided! Here is the link for anybody else interested:
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00N3WWG4U?th=1

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #13 of 26
It is hard to know if it is what I want without trying them. For example I got the CAL! because they receive very good reviews for their price, but I wasn't blown away. In fact I often prefer the sound of my MEE Runaway Bluetooth headphones ($30), which are also much more comfortable to wear and are wireless (which is a bonus for me). The CAL! feel less comfortable and make me tired faster, but unfortunately I can't explain exactly why this is happening.

At the risk of sounding cynical, why are you wanting to buy them? Simply because they are cheap, or do you really want this particular model?
Are you going to replace your Creative because you aren't happy with them? Have you been trying other models to see what suits?
You get what I'm saying - don't rush into buying just because the price is tempting - disappointment often happens that way. :wink:
I can't say if they are better than what you have, although I suspect that they are, because there are not very many better in that price range, but only you can decide if you need them, really want them, or are just looking for a "cheap" fix. :wink:
Best headphones I ever bought, but that's me - YMMV.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #14 of 26
At the risk of sounding cynical, why are you wanting to buy them? Simply because they are cheap, or do you really want this particular model?
Are you going to replace your Creative because you aren't happy with them? Have you been trying other models to see what suits?
You get what I'm saying - don't rush into buying just because the price is tempting - disappointment often happens that way.
wink.gif

I can't say if they are better than what you have, although I suspect that they are, because there are not very many better in that price range, but only you can decide if you need them, really want them, or are just looking for a "cheap" fix.
wink.gif

Best headphones I ever bought, but that's me - YMMV.

I wanted to buy something new and the MDR-1A was in my shortlist so I placed a price tracker on them to notify me when there will be a deal. I did the same for 2-3 other headphones / IEMs which I had on my shortlist. However meanwhile I ordered the Fiio EX1 (which I am going to receive tomorrow) and now it feels a bit weird to buy an IEM and new headphones at about the same time.

I can say that I am not particularly happy with the CAL! but I do have other options so it is not like I must buy something right now. If it wasn't for the good price I would not buy them right now (but maybe I would 6 months from now). Maybe I should pass on the deal now and buy on the next time if I still want to (this €99 seems to happen every 1-2 months) but you can never be certain that this will happen again!

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #15 of 26
OK, understood.
My answer? If you really fancy a very nice, top quality headphone that will last year's, and sound excellent, just get these - the vast majority of people who buy them like them. :)
If you have *any* doubts, don't really need them, don't have to spend the money, or are going to have doubts and question yourself if they are worth it, save yourself the headache and just say "no". Everything comes around again, no deal is ever once and only. They might get cheaper..,:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back