URGENT! Audio Technica CK10 vs CK90pro MKII (To buy or not to buy tis the Question...)
May 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DerekW88

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've had to make a new account since i forgot the pass to my old one, but i need help in deciding which of the two (CK10 or CK90proMKII) is better, if anyone who owns/ has owned the two before could you list the good and bad points of the two and conclude as to which one is better and why please..

The main reason why i want to buy the AT-CK10 is that i listen to music which mainly has female vocal, and I've read in this forum that the CK10 are pretty good for these type of songs, but i just want to make sure that I make the right purchase, i currently own the Beats Studio and i think the bass is a bit overpowering so the issue with the CK10 lacking bass wouldn't really be a problem.... please reply soon as I'm going to make the purchase in a few days time !

Many thanks,

Derek

May 17, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 8
I have listened to both and can give you a bit of advice. Honestly I was curious about more opinions on the CK90pro MKII myself, as I wanted to hear from some people who actually own them!

But based on a couple of short demos I can say that IMHO, the MKII is a worthy and possibly superior IEM to the CK10.

BQ: CK10 definitely better. Compact, sturdy housing, excellent cable with cinch. MKII is basically the same as MKI, no cable cinch, plastic housings. Cable is adequate but feels a bit more rubbery than CK10.

SQ:

CK10: Slight bright, analytical. Excellent detail, treble, Pleasant and engaging mids. Bass is there on some tracks, borderline bass-light, but perhaps a notch
more than comparable Brainwavz B2 or Shure SE425.

MKII: Much darker, excellent bass, mids, less detail and *thicker* sound.

Overall, I like both, as they are quite different. The CK10 is quite a bit more detailed, while the MKII has thicker, bassier sound. The MKII seems to have cleaned up the treble and added a bit of detail over the MKI, but still can't compare to the CK10.

I am strongly considering buying the MKII (and may pick them up very soon and give some impressions) but my feeling is the CK10 is still the overall more standout IEM due to its excellent detail and BQ. However, as I own the SE425, I feel they are similar (as are UE700, B2, and FA DBA02). The MKII is a very different sounding dual-BA prioritizing fun over detail, with a more dynamic-like signature. So I also think it depends what you are looking for!

May 17, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 8
Wow, its been whisper quiet about the ck90pro mkii around here! Guess i should take the plunge:)

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
I have listened to both and can give you a bit of advice. Honestly I was curious about more opinions on the CK90pro MKII myself, as I wanted to hear from some people who actually own them!

But based on a couple of short demos I can say that IMHO, the MKII is a worthy and possibly superior IEM to the CK10.

BQ: CK10 definitely better. Compact, sturdy housing, excellent cable with cinch. MKII is basically the same as MKI, no cable cinch, plastic housings. Cable is adequate but feels a bit more rubbery than CK10.

SQ:

CK10: Slight bright, analytical. Excellent detail, treble, Pleasant and engaging mids. Bass is there on some tracks, borderline bass-light, but perhaps a notch
more than comparable Brainwavz B2 or Shure SE425.

MKII: Much darker, excellent bass, mids, less detail and *thicker* sound.

Overall, I like both, as they are quite different. The CK10 is quite a bit more detailed, while the MKII has thicker, bassier sound. The MKII seems to have cleaned up the treble and added a bit of detail over the MKI, but still can't compare to the CK10.

I am strongly considering buying the MKII (and may pick them up very soon and give some impressions) but my feeling is the CK10 is still the overall more standout IEM due to its excellent detail and BQ. However, as I own the SE425, I feel they are similar (as are UE700, B2, and FA DBA02). The MKII is a very different sounding dual-BA prioritizing fun over detail, with a more dynamic-like signature. So I also think it depends what you are looking for!

If i do more want some crispy treble,should i go for the mk ii whether not ck10?

I mainly listen to classical and jazz and a little pop,thanks

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 8
I demoed both again recently, and I think the ck10 definitely have clearer treble and better balance.

The CK90pro mkII have a much weightier bottom end, very impressive for a BA, comparable to my EQ-5, with excellent impact. 

Overall clarity is good, but not in the range of the CK10. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 8
I think I might give them a try, I do enjoy the CK100pro. I wonder why head-fi is so quiet about this considering how much love the CK10 received. 

May 22, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 8
i had ck10 for 1 year and it broked, (left ear doesnt work) but it is still the best iem i have used up to date, the quality of bass, treble, mids, and the most importantly isolation cannot be matched

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #8 of 8
I am currently looking into a multi BA with low reaching bass, and thanks to this wonderful forum, i am finding some great info! I currently own the rockit r50 and love it! I wish it dug a little deeper into sub bass, so i have found my way to the AT ck100 and its adjacent models.
It seems that i might sacrifice some detail and highs going for the deeper lows in the ck90 pro mk2? Considering the ck100 pro, but it costs a lot more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back