URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Oct 16, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #1,142 of 1,184
I haven't tried taping the vent on the Urbanfun as it is basshead enough for me (assuming beryllium drivers). But I've tried it on other IEMs, I wouldn't recommend it though. It does increase the bass quantity, but not quality (bass gets bloated and boomy). In addition, it may increase the chance of driver flex.

But if there are 2 bass vents like on the 03 & Tin T2 it'll be safe right?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #1,143 of 1,184
But if there are 2 bass vents like on the 03 it'll be safe right?

Not so sure about that. I have IEMs with 2 vents eg iBasso IT00 that still has quite bad driver flex even before blocking a vent. I think my oriveti new primary is likewise having 2 vents (have to check) with mega driver flex.

Driver flex is partially due to a too tight seal and ear anatomy, so different tips do affect driver flex to some extent, some may not even get driver flex due to favourable ear anatomy, so YMMV. Like foams allow the air to be passed out over silicone tips and there's lesser chance of driver flex with foam tips.

What I'm more worried actually, when covering a bass vent, is whether the pressure build up goes back to hit the ear drums, that may be a more serious issue than driver flex. Who knows whether that may affect hearing health, I'm not an expert but just some curious questions I have, hope somebody can help answer!

Oct 16, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #1,144 of 1,184
Not so sure about that. I have IEMs with 2 vents eg iBasso IT00 that still has quite bad driver flex even before blocking a vent. I think my oriveti new primary is likewise having 2 vents (have to check) with mega driver flex.

Driver flex is partially due to a too tight seal and ear anatomy, so different tips do affect driver flex to some extent, some may not even get driver flex due to favourable ear anatomy, so YMMV. Like foams allow the air to be passed out over silicone tips and there's lesser chance of driver flex with foam tips.

What I'm more worried actually, when covering a bass vent, is whether the pressure build up goes back to hit the ear drums, that may be a more serious issue than driver flex. Who knows whether that may affect hearing health, I'm not an expert but just some curious questions I have, hope somebody can help answer!

Hmm maybe the odds are in my ears favor since medium size foam tips fit right on me.

The only time I worry 'bout my hearing is when I forcefully hear at high volume on shouty and sibilant as most Chi-fi gear

You still got me thinking though if I feel pressure at all in my head, that freaking scotch taped vent gave me that subbass I'm craving in the 03's a long time

But should I still be worried in boosted volume since I listen to boosted lower mids and sparkly treble now...

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #1,145 of 1,184
Some buyers commented that using o-rings helped them with better fitting of the eartips - can someone explain how this works and where to get them?
You can use an o-ring (4mm Inner Diameter, 8mm OD, 2mm Width) to give your tips of choice a higher perch, on the neck, of the nozzle
Blon fin1.jpg

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #1,149 of 1,184
Lol on this new gen boy any cable that is not original cable you get not sound sometimes and you have to touch it to get it again. Pretty crappy mmcx solution...

Yes the MMCX on this set may be a lemon for some. Best to leave one cable on and never change it. Or some folks even tape the cable on!

Is yours a new white box Urbanfun? If it is, it is very disappointing they haven't ironed out the MMCX problems.

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #1,151 of 1,184
Has the MMCX issues been fixed completely yet?
No I don't think so. The cable connector seems to be pretty crappy still. I have tried 3 cables now, all of them have issues. When I angle my head into a certain direction, the sound sometimes cuts out.

I have gone back to using the original cable. That one seems to have the best connection with the earpieces so far and I haven't had my sound cut out.

It's a very disappointing state of affairs. I wish I was able to freely use different cables without running into these issues.

Dec 3, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #1,152 of 1,184
No I don't think so. The cable connector seems to be pretty crappy still. I have tried 3 cables now, all of them have issues. When I angle my head into a certain direction, the sound sometimes cuts out.

I have gone back to using the original cable. That one seems to have the best connection with the earpieces so far and I haven't had my sound cut out.

It's a very disappointing state of affairs. I wish I was able to freely use different cables without running into these issues.

Thanks for the reply and I will skip this model indefinitely.

Dec 3, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #1,153 of 1,184
Thanks for the reply and I will skip this model indefinitely.
Sounds like a good choice. We already have stuff like the Fiio FH3 and the newer KBear Believe that isnt that far away from the urbanfun.

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #1,154 of 1,184
Sounds like a good choice. We already have stuff like the Fiio FH3 and the newer KBear Believe that isnt that far away from the urbanfun.
Yeah, and with LEGIT beryllium coated drivers and solid connectors. Too bad that Urbanfun dropped the ball on this set. Sending paying customers a "noble" version (when they paid for and expected beryllium) is bad enough. That they are still sending out versions with bad mmcx connectors, is atrocious after saying that they fixed those issues. Tbth, I won't ever take a chance on them again.

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #1,155 of 1,184
Yeah, and with LEGIT beryllium coated drivers and solid connectors. Too bad that Urbanfun dropped the ball on this set. Sending paying customers a "noble" version (when they paid for and expected beryllium) is bad enough. That they are still sending out versions with bad mmcx connectors, is atrocious after saying that they fixed those issues. Tbth, I won't ever take a chance on them again.
All fair points. It really is a shame, b/c I love the sound of my YBF. There’s something about it, that is unique, similar to how the BL03 has that special something. If Urbanfun was going to have such poor QC, and treat customers this way, the least they could’ve done was come out with a crap product, and not something special! :joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back