URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Sep 22, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #1,111 of 1,184
I've broken in my set of the YBF and I think they're pretty great. That lower treble peak so common in most IEMs is less biting with the Be driver that with anything carbon-based. I agree it reminds me of the TFZ No.3, but the YBF has a less exaggerated tuning (esp in the treble), much more natural timbre, and better technicalities.

I'm a little terrified to swap the cable out a second time though. I have a SPC 4.4 balanced cable on there now and I like it, but I feel like moving to a single crystal copper 3.5 SE would be a big improvement, even if only because it'll sound less peaky in the treble region. While I'm waiting for it to arrive, I'm worried one more swap will cause that right mmcx connector to fail.

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #1,112 of 1,184
Sep 27, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #1,113 of 1,184
Sep 27, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #1,114 of 1,184
Just FYI, the YBF is on Drop for $55. Drop states that the normal price is usually $59, but it’s currently $69 on Linsoul and Amazon.

https://drop.com/buy/urbanfun-ybf-iss014-iem

I've never purchased from DROP before, but some friends who did told me they have returns and CS issues sometimes. Like if there's any defect, they might tell you to settle it with the supplier directly, and we know Urbanfun doesn't have the best QC reputation, we still see wonky MMCXs in newer batches. So there's a chance one might need a good returns policy, so it might be safer to get it somewhere else eg Amazon for a bit more, but at least there's some solid returns policy backing you up.

Sep 27, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #1,115 of 1,184
A $4 discount?
Yeah, and if you don't live in the US, you still gotta convert to your own currency plus pay extra for shipping and duties. They would easily cost me $150-170. And...I'm still not sure if I'm getting the beryllium version. Sorry, but I'm done with the YBF-ISS014. Been screwed over twice now, so I'm just no longer interested.

Sep 27, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #1,116 of 1,184
I've never purchased from DROP before, but some friends who did told me they have returns and CS issues sometimes. Like if there's any defect, they might tell you to settle it with the supplier directly, and we know Urbanfun doesn't have the best QC reputation, we still see wonky MMCXs in newer batches. So there's a chance one might need a good returns policy, so it might be safer to get it somewhere else eg Amazon for a bit more, but at least there's some solid returns policy backing you up.
Yeah, I would rather get it on Amazon, in case something is wrong with it. I just found it curious that Drop is posting it as a $4 discount, when in reality, it’s a $14 discount. They must being using the former price, before the price hike, unless they are actually selling off old stock of the prior black box units.

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #1,117 of 1,184
My set was a white box. so I'm ordering another pair while I can. Or maybe I'll get a black box version this time. If I do, that'll be interesting. Speaking of the the sense of delay with Drop, I ordered a cable directly from Linsoul almost 3 weeks ago and I have no idea what's going on with it. Even if it shows up in a week, that's not much faster than the way Drop works. At least here in the US (grrr...)

Sep 28, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #1,118 of 1,184
Yeah, and if you don't live in the US, you still gotta convert to your own currency plus pay extra for shipping and duties. They would easily cost me $150-170. And...I'm still not sure if I'm getting the beryllium version. Sorry, but I'm done with the YBF-ISS014. Been screwed over twice now, so I'm just no longer interested.
In the UK duty makes drop a no no. The QC issues with the iss014 are a sad joke. Sounds like 'Del Boy and Rodney' are the distributors.

Sep 28, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #1,119 of 1,184
In the UK duty makes drop a no no. The QC issues with the iss014 are a sad joke. Sounds like 'Del Boy and Rodney' are the distributors.
At this point, Drop only makes sense for those living in the US, unless wanting to get a Drop exclusive, like the FDX1 or DT177X for example. One could get the FD01 instead, but there is no true alternative to the 177X (DT1770 is similar, but still different).

Oct 4, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #1,120 of 1,184
Similar to the BLON BL-03, I belatedly discovered today that the Urbanfun can be worn cable down (instead of the conventional over ears). Just find a cable without ear hooks, and swap the left and right ear pieces, then wear it like a earbud. It gives me a better fit than wearing over the ears, so YMMV.

Oct 4, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,121 of 1,184
Similar to the BLON BL-03, I belatedly discovered today that the Urbanfun can be worn cable down (instead of the conventional over ears). Just find a cable without ear hooks, and swap the left and right ear pieces, then wear it like a earbud. It gives me a better fit than wearing over the ears, so YMMV.
I’d probably do this if I weren‘t terrified of trying to take off the stock cable, even once.

Oct 4, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #1,122 of 1,184
I know this could be considered thread derail but has anyone had a chance to compare the YBF with the Thor Mjolnir? Looking to see what a bassy Be upgrade would get me....

Oct 14, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #1,123 of 1,184
I have received my Urbanfuns today. They came in a white box with grey storage case.
On first listen, I am disappointed - they sound like a typical under-$100 IEM, nothing special. Frankly, I have expected more after all the hype...
Even bass, which is supposed to be fantastic, is quite mediocre.

Could it be I got the non-beryllium version despite the white box? Is there any way to distinguish between the two?

What kind of ear tips work best with YBF-ISS014 ? What kind of sources match best with it (especially Bluetooth adapters)?
Does it benefit from burn-in?

Oct 14, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #1,124 of 1,184
I have received my Urbanfuns today. They came in a white box with grey storage case.
On first listen, I am disappointed - they sound like a typical under-$100 IEM, nothing special. Frankly, I have expected more after all the hype...
Even bass, which is supposed to be fantastic, is quite mediocre.

Could it be I got the non-beryllium version despite the white box? Is there any way to distinguish between the two?

What kind of ear tips work best with YBF-ISS014 ? What kind of sources match best with it (especially Bluetooth adapters)?
Does it benefit from burn-in?

Credit to @Slater , he put a post here of how to compare the different drivers (i think u need to open up the nozzle screen though):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/urbanfun-ybf-iss014-impressions-thread.921709/page-27#post-15535999
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/urbanfun-ybf-iss014-impressions-thread.921709/page-49#post-15679216

Oct 14, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #1,125 of 1,184

Users who are viewing this thread

Back