URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Oct 14, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #1,126 of 1,184
I sure hope that they aren't trying to deceive new buyers by shipping old noble driver sets in a white box.

U never know in this CHIFI hobby! Some CHIFI companies are out to make a quick buck, some don't have robust QC, some are accused of copying designs/patents (cough cough the KZ ZS6 looks very very very familiar. Think I've seen it in a campfire shop before haha).

FWIW, I still see some anecdotal reports of new white box urbanfuns having wonky MMCX connectors, that was supposed to be have been fixed ages ago (and was also their justification for a price hike from $39 USD -> $60ish USD).

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #1,127 of 1,184
U never know in this CHIFI hobby! Some CHIFI companies are out to make a quick buck, some don't have robust QC, some are accused of copying designs/patents (cough cough the KZ ZS6 looks very very very familiar. Think I've seen it in a campfire shop before haha).

FWIW, I still see some anecdotal reports of new white box urbanfuns having wonky MMCX connectors, that was supposed to be have been fixed ages ago (and was also their justification for a price hike from $39 USD -> $60ish USD).
Yeah...that's true with companies all over the world and in all kinds of different categories. It's not just limited to iems. Just sad that a really promising set has had so many QC issues and there still seems to be a question of what your actually getting. I've got 2 sets of the black box versions, one that I haven't even bothered to open. The one I have opened and used, has no problem with the mmcx connector; even after a few cable swaps (I've got a balanced Tripowin Zonie cable on it now for over 3 months and no issues). Still; the SQ isn't as stellar as has been described by many that have the beryllium version. Imho, my ZS10 PRO, TFZ No.3, Moondrop Kanas PRO and even Nicehck NX7; outperform the YBF-ISS014 version that I have. Honestly, for the money and rave reviews, I was expecting a whole lot more. If these even had lived up to their bass accolades, I'd have been happy. But they don't even do that...at least with the set I have. I'm just starting to think that this company started out looking to create a giant killer; but ran into problems sourcing materials; but instead of stopping or discontinuing production, they just continued to produce (or ship out old sub par excess inventory) to satisfy the order demands. Maybe they thought people couldn't tell the difference? Who knows? All I can say is; I will never again buy an Urbanfun product. I think their business practices are shady and they have lost me as a future customer as a result of it.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #1,128 of 1,184
I will say, the bass is big on my pair of YBF, but it isn't that tight. The IT00 easily outperforms it in terms of speed. The treble on the other hand, while tuned louder, is smoother on the YBF than the iBasso. That's been my experience. At least there are other great IEMs to get in this price range.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #1,130 of 1,184
Still; the SQ isn't as stellar as has been described by many that have the beryllium version. Imho, my ZS10 PRO, TFZ No.3, Moondrop Kanas PRO and even Nicehck NX7; outperform the YBF-ISS014 version that I have. Honestly, for the money and rave reviews, I was expecting a whole lot more. If these even had lived up to their bass accolades, I'd have been happy. But they don't even do that...at least with the set I have.

It sounds like you definitely have the noble metal ones. Underwhelming and generic is the best way I can describe them.

Oct 15, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #1,131 of 1,184
Can someone comment on effect of tip-rolling and deep vs shallow insertion on Urbanfuns?

Disclaimer: mine is a beryllium driver set.

I find foam tips lowers the treble on the Urbanfun.
Silicone tips wise - wider bore ones increase treble amounts, whereas narrower bore ones increase the bass. YMMV as we have different ear anatomies and hearing health.

I currently use KZ starlines with my Urbanfun, and only use deep insertion (for better isolation). I think if u insert it too shallow, the bass amounts will be less due to an indequate seal, but perhaps soundstage may be increased a tinge.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #1,132 of 1,184
Disclaimer: mine is a beryllium driver set.

I find foam tips lowers the treble on the Urbanfun.
Silicone tips wise - wider bore ones increase treble amounts, whereas narrower bore ones increase the bass. YMMV as we have different ear anatomies and hearing health.

I currently use KZ starlines with my Urbanfun, and only use deep insertion (for better isolation). I think if u insert it too shallow, the bass amounts will be less due to an indequate seal, but perhaps soundstage may be increased a tinge.
I concur. I’m using Spinfit CP145 ear tips, and insert as deep as the IEMs will allow, which isn’t that deep TBH.

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #1,133 of 1,184
I'm not sure but I have to wonder if the placement of the vent hole is what gives the YBF its massive bass response. When I'm getting a good seal with the tips, I'm most likely also sealing up the vent from alleviating the driver pressure, thereby increasing the bass far beyond just a solid tip seal.

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,134 of 1,184
I'm not sure but I have to wonder if the placement of the vent hole is what gives the YBF its massive bass response. When I'm getting a good seal with the tips, I'm most likely also sealing up the vent from alleviating the driver pressure, thereby increasing the bass far beyond just a solid tip seal.

Yes, absolutely this has an effect.

Oct 15, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #1,135 of 1,184
Has anyone tried taping a vent?

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #1,137 of 1,184
What kind of ear tips work best with YBF-ISS014 ? What kind of sources match best with it (especially Bluetooth adapters)?
Does it benefit from burn-in?
I am now using the inverted KZ Starline tips and they work great .. Lots of bass and ample treble .. the IEMs really shine with this inverted tip. I use it mainly with my Qudelix 5K portable DAC/AMP streaming Tidal from my LG V30+

BTW .. here's a YouTube video showing how to invert the KZ Starline tips

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #1,138 of 1,184
Has anyone tried taping a vent?

I haven't tried taping the vent on the Urbanfun as it is basshead enough for me (assuming beryllium drivers). But I've tried it on other IEMs, I wouldn't recommend it though. It does increase the bass quantity, but not quality (bass gets bloated and boomy). In addition, it may increase the chance of driver flex.

I am now using the inverted KZ Starline tips and they work great .. Lots of bass and ample treble .. the IEMs really shine with this inverted tip. I use it mainly with my Qudelix 5K portable DAC/AMP streaming Tidal from my LG V30+

BTW .. here's a YouTube video showing how to invert the KZ Starline tips

Our very own @Slater the master came up with the KZ reverse tips solution!!!! All credit to him for this excellent idea. Cheap and good innovation. Deserves a noble prize for services to audiophiledom for this!

Oct 15, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #1,140 of 1,184
If you like a shallow fit, I find those wide bore "whirlwind" silicone tips to work extremely well with the YBF. With those, it's also hands down my most comfortable IEM.

TENMARK whirlwind tips

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back