URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Jul 31, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #1,006 of 1,184
FAA00843-50AA-4C1D-BD71-3100509243E4.jpegFB293F14-E7D6-4028-859F-8F34B5ECE647.jpeg

Urbanfun I ordered in March that I basically given up on suddenly resurfaced in my CanadaPost tracking system.
It shows estimated arrival date of August 7th.

Hope 5 months of sleepless waiting will be rewarded with some of the purest beryllium sound(?).

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #1,007 of 1,184
I've been listening to my recently received black box version, for a week+ now. While they do sound really good, I still prefer my TFZ NO.3 a bit more; as well as my KZ ZS10 PRO; overall. Both these sets, imo, have a more impactful bass; than the YBF-ISS014. Overall tonality is better on these other 2 sets. I prefer the warmer bass of both. That warmth might bleed a bit more into the mids; but it makes it more tonally correct to my ears. Don't get me wrong: I think the ISSO14 is very good...It does live recorded music great, but it's lacking in some areas. I'm happy to have it in my collection though. That's what is so awesome about iems. You can own many; for less than a good pair of speakers. The ISSO14 (as long as you got good set without the mmcx connector issues) is killer.

The base for such priced IEM is phenomenal, yes DD base can be easily tuned to high quality bass, but here it’s even close call to my portable planar hp. I just couldn’t get through their higher mid/low-high frequencies. Sharp with too much attack and a bit dry sounding, there is not enough air and meat to the notes even though they are very detailed for such price. Though I can see V shaped sound fans would love it. Their next release might be a deal breaker if they would choose to mellow their sound signature or if they want to chase High end, instead of more agressive and analytical sound they should get YBF more airy, articulate and with better imaging and soundstage presentation.
It’s been a while for me with listening earsonics em10 and I honestly can say that YBF bass sounds nicer. Yes you heard it right, even detail retrieval and dynamics on my listening experience are in the similar level, but everything else lacks way behind, compared against EM10 soundstage of YBF sounds congested and dry, you can place instruments to some degree, but not at such angles and distances as on EM10.EM10 is way more articulate as well.. I’m not sure if single DD can deliver such qualities though

Aug 3, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #1,008 of 1,184
I hope urbanfun learns from the QC mess. It is such a shame that the UF is so tainted. I got mine from ebay a few months ago. No problems at all. I have cable rolled with no issue. Also I definitely have the beryllium version. They sound amazing. I have iems many times the price that can't compete with them. They have a truly unique sound.. They are extremely tip dependent. More so than most. When you do get the right tips they are something else. Sadly, whether customers will trust them in the future is debatable

Aug 9, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #1,009 of 1,184
Received mine yesterday. Shipping to Brazil took 30 days, this is quick for our standarts. I've Ordered through Linsoul during they Summer sale. Got the white box. My current daily IEM is the FLC8n. First impressions... holy bass, it hits way down. Male vocals took a step back comparing to the FLC, wich represent lower mids with more presence, clarity and control. Female vocals and everything above felt overemphassyzed, on some acoustic songs for example sometimes the guitarrist pluck the strings stronger and I immediatly felt the pain in my head, also horns were quite hot. The foam tips helped in this regard, they reduce a little the shouty trebble. Separation is quite nice, and details in percusion instruments shine, they present a lot of detail. After 10 minutes listening to some tracks the cable on the left side started to cut on and off... smh, any movemment with my head would cause the som to cut. I've changed the cable R to L and L to R, and them the cable stay on an position the prevents the som to cut.

Overall thoughts... packaging and acessories are nice for the price, good case and tips. The shells are well made, the IEM is beatifull, and have some wheight to it, seems better made than other more expensive IEM's. My cable arrived with a problem, It was the only build quality and QC I have to report. Sound wise, lots of sub-bass, well textured, clean hit, sub-bass emphasys. Lower midrange sound a touch recessed, vocals and guitars on this area felt the dip, female vocals have more bit and presence. The treble was piercing most of the time, I couldn't crancked the volume without feeling pain in my head, the foam tips helped, but is still shouty. For the price I think they're worth it. Didn't blew my mind. In comparison with my FLC8n, they are a touch more detailed, but they loss on clarity of the mids and treble control.

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #1,010 of 1,184
Ok I finally received mine after ordering it in March :)
This sounds pretty awesome.
Never heard subbass this clean and defined wow.
Vocals are not as recessed as I imagined and they are rendered with smoothness with a good natural tonality.
Highs are slightly peaky and I might do some modding but non offensive so far.
Damn all those hypes were real.

I got the black box with white dot and so far the mmcx connection seems stable.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #1,011 of 1,184
Ok I finally received mine after ordering it in March :)
This sounds pretty awesome.
Never heard subbass this clean and defined wow.
Vocals are not as recessed as I imagined and they are rendered with smoothness with a good natural tonality.
Highs are slightly peaky and I might do some modding but non offensive so far.
Damn all those hypes were real.

I got the black box with white dot and so far the mmcx connection seems stable.

White dot?

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #1,012 of 1,184
White dot?

Packaging had a white sticker dot. Not sure what it supposed to be representing

Also I spoke too soon about the QC. This mmcx female sockets are pretty bad. I had to fix one on left side already. That is after very first try of swapping cable.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #1,013 of 1,184
Packaging had a white sticker dot. Not sure what it supposed to be representing

Also I spoke too soon about the QC. This mmcx female sockets are pretty bad. I had to fix one on left side already. That is after very first try of swapping cable.

The white dot means they sprinkled it with pixie dust haha

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #1,014 of 1,184
The Urbanfun YBF is going at $55 USD on (Mass)Drop now.

Still cheaper than the usual $60 - 69 USD that Aliexpress touts it for nowadays (I remember it was $39 at launch a few months back though!). I'm quite happy with my set, but I can't universally recommend it due to the doubt of driver type and MMCX problems.

I've never bought from Drop, so not sure how is their CS/returns/refunds, but since Urbanfun has a not insignificant chance of having QC issues, I think this is one area to be considered.

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #1,015 of 1,184

Still cheaper than the usual $60 - 69 USD that Aliexpress touts it for nowadays (I remember it was $39 at launch a few months back though!). I'm quite happy with my set, but I can't universally recommend it due to the doubt of driver type and MMCX problems.

I've never bought from Drop, so not sure how is their CS/returns/refunds, but since Urbanfun has a not insignificant chance of having QC issues, I think this is one area to be considered.
If you live in the US, Drop is a lot sometimes easier to deal with than many retailers in China, but you have to wait quite a while for it to arrive. The easiest and safest is buying it from Amazon (Fulfilled by Amazon), but you have to pay full price, which may well be worth every cent.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #1,016 of 1,184
If you live in the US, Drop is a lot easier to deal with than many retailers in China, but you have to wait quite a while for it to arrive. The easiest and safest is buying it from Amazon (Fulfilled by Amazon), but you have to pay full price.

Ya forget about sending defective stuff back to China if you buy from Aliexpress. Sometimes the return transport fees are almost the same as the budget IEM that one bought.

Amazon looks to be the safest bet for returns/CS, but ya they do jack up the price a bit for this peace of mind.

If say a (Mass)Drop product is defective and you need to return it, does Drop settle the returns? Or u have to go back to the manufacturer to discuss?

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #1,017 of 1,184

If you look at the comments, it looks like classic Linsoul: take an order, then figure out if you can actually fulfill it. Whoever the source vendor is, adding one more negative variable (that the last Drop was questionable) just exemplifies the taint that lingers with this IEM. For U.S. customers, it would appear that paying Amazon’s premium price (for the return policy), is the safe route.

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #1,018 of 1,184
Ya forget about sending defective stuff back to China if you buy from Aliexpress. Sometimes the return transport fees are almost the same as the budget IEM that one bought.

Amazon looks to be the safest bet for returns/CS, but ya they do jack up the price a bit for this peace of mind.

If say a (Mass)Drop product is defective and you need to return it, does Drop settle the returns? Or u have to go back to the manufacturer to discuss?
Depends on what product you buy. Most of the time, Drop bows out from taking any responsibility. If you buy from Drop, be very careful to read all the info provided. Never assume that you're covered by warranty or replacement/repair when you buy from Drop. There are horror stories galore on Drop from people who received defective products and Drop basically said "it's not our problem...here's the manufacturers email so deal with them". You take a big chance when you buy from Drop.

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #1,019 of 1,184
Yeah, it’s true that what you buy from Drop makes a huge difference. It’s safest if you buy an actual Drop product that they keep in stock. Then it is their product, and they can exchange or refund the item easily. With the YBF, though I was fortunate to have everything work out, now that it’s available, I would definitely only buy it from Amazon.

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #1,020 of 1,184

Haha these were being hyped as BLON killers at the beginning of this thread so I went to check them out on AE and... Well they're 2x the cost of the BLONs 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back