URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Jul 26, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #976 of 1,184
I was so lucky to get an early fully functional Beryllium set last December. Everything the iss014 could be. What is so sad is how QC, not knowing what driver one is getting, and general differences and variabilty in sound make the iss014 the most unpredictable IEM on the market. A few of us lucky ones know what a great IEM this is. What a great shame.

Yeah, it was like gambling with a slot machine that cost $60 for each pull of the handle. Not cool.

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #977 of 1,184
I am assuming that the original 2019 YBF iss014 was a Beryllium coated driver and not pure Beryllium. Anybody know?

Are there any inexpensive 'pure' Beryllium driver IEMs that anyone knows of?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #978 of 1,184
I am assuming that the original 2019 YBF iss014 was a Beryllium coated driver and not pure Beryllium. Anybody know?

Are there any inexpensive 'pure' Beryllium driver IEMs that anyone knows of?

Its beryllium coated. All of these budget earphones use beryllium coated drivers.

Dunu Luna is pure beryllium.

Jul 27, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #979 of 1,184
DUNU Luna and Final A8000 are the pure beryllium drivers. I guess the there is some debate about the Periodic Audio Be.

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #981 of 1,184
Jul 27, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #982 of 1,184
Cool, debate over. Forget beryllium coated, he was discussing the exact purity!
My interest in it dropped after I saw it is non-replaceable cable. Hell no for something at that price.

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #983 of 1,184
My interest in it dropped after I saw it is non-replaceable cable. Hell no for something at that price.
To be fair there is a five year warranty that is an actual warranty and not just bs. I had an issue with my original set after some time and it was replaced for free, obviously. Being that you're in Sweden however, those shipping costs might hurt if you ever had to use it.

edit, 2 yrs for other countries outside US:
" This warranty lasts for five (5) years in the United States. This warranty lasts for two (2) years in all other Countries. "

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #984 of 1,184
To be fair there is a five year warranty that is an actual warranty and not just bs. I had an issue with my original set after some time and it was replaced for free, obviously. Being that you're in Sweden however, those shipping costs might hurt if you ever had to use it.

edit (nvm), 2 yrs for other countries:
" This warranty lasts for five (5) years in the United States. This warranty lasts for two (2) years in all other Countries. Batteries are covered for two (2) years regardless of locale. "
It is available on amazon uk so they do refund the shipping costs back. (although after 2 years we are most likely gonna have iems in the sub 50 usd range being better than the Periodic BE :joy: )

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #985 of 1,184
I feel they could update the whole thing to keep up with the competition in 2020 and beyond. Tune it with a stronger magnet and larger voice coil for better control and flatten the frequency response a little while keeping the same dynamics. Change the shell to over ear type for better comfort. Add removable cable etc. Too bad it was bit too V-shaped for my taste, I really thought the diaphragm inside was very capable without any distortion.

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #986 of 1,184
Got the white box version. Loved the sound a lot more than BL03. Also felt plenty fast for a DD iem.

What I didn't like about blon03(the one I got) was it felt like I am losing a lot in overall resolution. Also the bass bled a lot. I didn't use it for any music at all. It was my youtube/audiobook iem

I was listening to Radiohead( not super fast but nicely layered) sounded super sweet. Stage was narrow but imaging was nice and tone was awesome. And most importantly I didn't feel like i was losing any details when I A/B ed it with the other sets I had ( t800 and tape). Pink Floyd also sounded great.

I wanted to check how fast it really is, I tried listening to Opeth. Thats is where the T800 shines. Tape wasn't struggling either. Opeth is a good example because the cleaner parts shows the strength of UF but busy/growl parts not so much.

I was sceptical of this IEM as every one compared it with the Blons and I didn't like the blons at all. Very happy with this as it plays most of my library as good/better than what I have. Pop/Hip hop/Classic Rock are great with this nice bass with lots of sparkle 🙂🙂. Not so great with Metal/Noise Rock etc
IMG_MJL_IMG_20200729_214254.jpgIMG_MJL_IMG_20200729_222024.jpg

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #987 of 1,184
fff92ef3-7864-4696-958d-f6dd4651cc00.jpg

Ok I have become a convert of the Urbanfun cult. Bought a 2nd hand pair today for $29 USD at a local shop, dunno if this is the noble metal or beryllium driver version, but the sound is excellent. Definitely better than some other single DD sets like TFZ No. 3, BLON BL-05, BLON Cardinal, some of which cost way more. The only reason I didn't jump on it earlier was cause of QC fears and not sure what driver it came with. But anyways, for $29 USD I thought it was worth a punt.

The hype is legit. Nice textured bass with gentle highs. MMCX seems a bit risky, but I'll just leave a cable on it permanently. If Urbanfun can fix their QC issues and promise that every set comes with a beryllium driver, I think everyone should at least try this as a benchmark single DD set!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #988 of 1,184
If Urbanfun can fix their QC issues and promise that every set comes with a beryllium driver, I think everyone should at least try this as a benchmark single DD set!
:fingers_crossed: Fingers crossed that the quality of the white box YBF holds up. Meanwhile, the industry doesn‘t slow down, and now we have the FD1/EA1. They are different, but also very good, especially for the price.

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #989 of 1,184
:fingers_crossed: Fingers crossed that the quality of the white box YBF holds up. Meanwhile, the industry doesn‘t slow down, and now we have the FD1/EA1. They are different, but also very good, especially for the price.
Either step up your game or be left behind in the dust of the others. :joy:

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #990 of 1,184
Either step up your game or be left behind in the dust of the others. :joy:

I think that’s basically what they did with the white box. They DID step up their game. The sound improved, the quality control improved, and the accessories improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back