URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Feb 18, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #122 of 1,184
@Slater do you think the Urbanblob has forward mids? it seems like the male vocals are a bit forward and full but avoiding thickness

Yes, I feel like make vocals are forward, which means that there’s a midrange rise or small bump somewhere (where I haven’t determined yet, only because I haven’t done any sweeps or graphs on them yet)

It also seems that most male vocals are more forward vs typical female vocals, but again some sweeps and/or graphs will tell the whole story.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #123 of 1,184
With lots of nice sounding IEMs surrounding me I instinctively pick up the UrbanFun YBF-ISS014. They are my best sounding IEM/Bud. I love the Blon 03 but to my ears these stainless steel beryllium driven beauties sound better than the Blon 03s. How they haven't the cult status of the Blons is hard to understand? Sadly the earphone/IEM community are missing something not picking these up. They are 10/10 IEMs.

Mar 2, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #124 of 1,184
How they haven't the cult status of the Blons is hard to understand? Sadly the earphone/IEM community are missing something not picking these up. They are 10/10 IEMs.

I saw recently that BGGAR changed his mind and ordered a set.

I suspect that once he receives it and does his review, it will either blow up with loads of new owners, or crash and burn if he doesn’t like it.

Mar 2, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #125 of 1,184
With lots of nice sounding IEMs surrounding me I instinctively pick up the UrbanFun YBF-ISS014. They are my best sounding IEM/Bud. I love the Blon 03 but to my ears these stainless steel beryllium driven beauties sound better than the Blon 03s. How they haven't the cult status of the Blons is hard to understand? Sadly the earphone/IEM community are missing something not picking these up. They are 10/10 IEMs.

I think a lot of folks are put off by the QC issues of the first batch. I know the company claims it has been fixed in subsequent batches, but that's the thing with first impressions, once the general consumer's impression is that of an iffy QC, it tends to stick. This QC reputation issue is not only for Urbanfun though, TRN and other CHIFI companies also tend to get labelled as crap QC with the first batch and this label remains even after the QC is purportedly fixed, and the tag follows them like an albatross forever.

Also, there's lots of hype for the BLON BL-03 from prominent reviewers like BGGAR. To a lot of lay consumers, their word is like gospel and it shouldn't be underestimated how many units can be sold with just one favourable review from such prominent reviewers. The $30 - 100 USD CHIFI market is super saturated and competitive, with weekly releases previously before the coronavirus hit China, so to the less informed and those new to the hobby, they'll probably lap up whatever good reviews are given by said prominent reviewers.

FWIW, I do think the BLON BL-03 is a good set for timbre/tonality but IMHO, it is hyped too much on a lot of budget audio sites/blogs, and there are better sets in timbre/tonality out there, though admittedly costing more than the BL-03. Haven't tried the urbanfun but it is on my wishlist, and maybe I'll get it if it is discounted enough at the next sale.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #126 of 1,184
I think a lot of folks are put off by the QC issues of the first batch. I know the company claims it has been fixed in subsequent batches, but that's the thing with first impressions, once the general consumer's impression is that of an iffy QC, it tends to stick. This QC reputation issue is not only for Urbanfun though, TRN and other CHIFI companies also tend to get labelled as crap QC with the first batch and this label remains even after the QC is purportedly fixed, and the tag follows them like an albatross forever.

Also, there's lots of hype for the BLON BL-03 from prominent reviewers like BGGAR. To a lot of lay consumers, their word is like gospel and it shouldn't be underestimated how many units can be sold with just one favourable review from such prominent reviewers. The $30 - 100 USD CHIFI market is super saturated and competitive, with weekly releases previously before the coronavirus hit China, so to the less informed and those new to the hobby, they'll probably lap up whatever good reviews are given by said prominent reviewers.

FWIW, I do think the BLON BL-03 is a good set for timbre/tonality but IMHO, it is hyped too much on a lot of budget audio sites/blogs, and there are better sets in timbre/tonality out there, though admittedly costing more than the BL-03. Haven't tried the urbanfun but it is on my wishlist, and maybe I'll get it if it is discounted enough at the next sale.
I hope you get them. I have many years of life behind me and amongs headphones, buds, and IEMs these are towards the top. Maybe these are just a lucky turnout, but they are Berylliym at its best.

Mar 2, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #127 of 1,184
I hope you get them. I have many years of life behind me and amongs headphones, buds, and IEMs these are towards the top. Maybe these are just a lucky turnout, but they are Berylliym at its best.

How does the Cambridge Audio SE1 compare to it? Since both are beryllium based IEMs?

Mar 2, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #130 of 1,184
I bought it a minute ago. First I hope I'll get it soon, second I hope it worth it.
Any one with blon 03 can tell me how is UrbanFun is better?
No bloating in the bass at all. Good timbre and tone. Clearer and cleaner than the Blon 03. I hope you find them to your taste. Good luck.

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #134 of 1,184
Mar 5, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #135 of 1,184
The "noble metal" is probably a machine google translation LOL. Maybe they are referring to Beryllium but it got lost in translation.

Like its predecessor the BL-03 had similarly iffy translations talking about "OPPOTY", "LET MUSIC BURN" etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back