URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Jul 19, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #931 of 1,184
Detaching van be thé same problem, that the female ''barrel'' on thé iem just is to big, you can also look at thé small Ring around thé connector on thé cable, this also has a split in it you can seperate a little bit more, that's what i first tried, but that had no impact on thé sound dropping out. But after that the cable snaps in place with a more clicky sound!

This is what i Mean with that ring and what i do

This was the problem with mine

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #932 of 1,184
Ok, I received my “white box” Urbanfuns a few days ago, and have put them through their paces.

I can say with 100% certainty that the white box beryllium version sounds different than the original black box beryllium version.

The white box version sounds better, with more clarity to both the midrange and treble. There is also zero bloat and bleed between the bass and mids, which is there on the black box version (yet its only a minor amount).

As someone else had pointed out, the filters in the shell vents seem to be a different color between the black and white box version. Perhaps this is the reason for the sound difference?

Now, don’t get me wrong, the black box beryllium version is darn good. But somehow they made the new white box even better.

The difference isn’t massive, but it is noticeable when directly A/Bing.

The white box mmcx sockets are perfect, the cable fits perfect, and the new carry case is nicer.

Now that I have seen and heard the white box version, I have NO problem with the $10 price increase. It is well worth it. This is worth every penny of the $69 asking price.

They did switch the colors of the mmcx on my earpieces - red is L and blue is R. But since the earpieces are engraved with R and L, I really don’t care; it’s a minor thing that is not a deal breaker in any way.

I will also say that wide bore tips are necessary to get the most out of them. It improves them across the board. I settled on SednaFit Lights.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #934 of 1,184
I'd add a note saying your black box version is modded, but that's good news.

Nope, for my A/B testing I put the black box version back to 100% stock condition.

So it’s an apples to apples comparison. I wouldn’t want to make a n00b rookie mistake like that for you guys lol

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #935 of 1,184
Nope, for my A/B testing I put the black box version back to 100% stock condition.

So it’s an apples to apples comparison. I’m not that much of a n00b to make a rookie mistake like that lol

Fair enough then. Just saying that because you said on your coating guide that you messed one of the grills and when I asked for a graph for both versions you said it was modded so it wouldn't be reliable. ^^

Jul 19, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #936 of 1,184
Fair enough then. Just saying that because you said on your coating guide that you messed one of the grills and when I asked for a graph for both versions you said it was modded so it wouldn't be reliable. ^^

Yes, you are correct.

However, luckily I have 2 black box sets of noble metal UFs. I was able to carefully remove the grilles from those and put them onto the black box beryllium.

I even ruled out the possibility that the white box cable is influencing the difference. I did my A/B testing with the same cable (balanced Hibiscus cable), same tips, same source, same tracks, and both burned in.

The only thing I haven’t done yet is take FR measurements.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #937 of 1,184
BTW, now that I have something to compare, I am going to try and mod the black box beryllium version to try and sound like the white box version (for those that already own the black box beryllium version).

I don’t know how successful I will be, as the vent filters are different. But I have a few ideas and hopefully I can get close.

I wish I knew how these shells came apart, so I could open it up and examine the internals. I can’t figure it out for the life of me. Urbanfun claims they are “1 piece shells”, but that’s physically impossible. I think when they said that, there was some confusion due to language translation.

I’m not willing to cut them apart to find out though. Too expensive for that. If I can’t get them open, I guess it will remain a big mystery

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #938 of 1,184
Ok, I received my “white box” Urbanfuns a few days ago, and have put them through their paces.

I can say with 100% certainty that the white box beryllium version sounds different than the original black box beryllium version.

The white box version sounds better, with more clarity to both the midrange and treble. There is also zero bloat and bleed between the bass and mids, which is there on the black box version (yet its only a minor amount).

As someone else had pointed out, the filters in the shell vents seem to be a different color between the black and white box version. Perhaps this is the reason for the sound difference?

Now, don’t get me wrong, the black box beryllium version is darn good. But somehow they made the new white box even better.

The difference isn’t massive, but it is noticeable when directly A/Bing.

The white box mmcx sockets are perfect, the cable fits perfect, and the new carry case is nicer.

Now that I have seen and heard the white box version, I have NO problem with the $10 price increase. It is well worth it. This is worth every penny of the $69 asking price.

They did switch the colors of the mmcx on my earpieces - red is L and blue is R. But since the earpieces are engraved with R and L, I really don’t care; it’s a minor thing that is not a deal breaker in any way.

I will also say that wide bore tips are necessary to get the most out of them. It improves them across the board. I settled on SednaFit Lights.
🤔🤔🤔

Jul 20, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #939 of 1,184
So, look what finally showed up in my mailbox today. 4 months late and after I cancelled my order and got my money back from Aliexpress/DD AUDIO STORE. I've got a bunch of pics to show you guys and will be posting them.
First off; I've never been so scared to handle or unbox anything I've ever bought from Aliexpress. Before I even cut into the outer packaging, I wiped it down with a Clorox wipe. Then, I put on disposable gloves.
When I finally got the outer packaging removed, I was greeted with a black cellophane box with a mostly Chinese manual on top. Further unboxing revealed a nice combo of tips, and the iems and supplied cable in a round zipper case. The supplied 3.5mm unbalanced cable is absolute garbage tho, imho; so I immediately attached the Tripowin Zonie 2.5mm balanced cable that I bought to connect to my ES100 and Fiio Q1MK2. Burning them in right now with music from my comp (using Foobar with like 3 days worth of music). Straight outta the box, they sound OK, but don't really do anything better or more special than my top 2 favs...KZ ZS10 PRO and TFZ NO.3. These are just initial impressions tho, so I will post more once they've been burned in and I've had a chance to listen to them longer.

Jul 20, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #940 of 1,184
So, look what finally showed up in my mailbox today. 4 months late and after I cancelled my order and got my money back from Aliexpress/DD AUDIO STORE. I've got a bunch of pics to show you guys and will be posting them.
First off; I've never been so scared to handle or unbox anything I've ever bought from Aliexpress. Before I even cut into the outer packaging, I wiped it down with a Clorox wipe. Then, I put on disposable gloves.
When I finally got the outer packaging removed, I was greeted with a black cellophane box with a mostly Chinese manual on top. Further unboxing revealed a nice combo of tips, and the iems and supplied cable in a round zipper case. The supplied 3.5mm unbalanced cable is absolute garbage tho, imho; so I immediately attached the Tripowin Zonie 2.5mm balanced cable that I bought to connect to my ES100 and Fiio Q1MK2. Burning them in right now with music from my comp (using Foobar with like 3 days worth of music). Straight outta the box, they sound OK, but don't really do anything better or more special than my top 2 favs...KZ ZS10 PRO and TFZ NO.3. These are just initial impressions tho, so I will post more once they've been burned in and I've had a chance to listen to them longer.

So you got the version with the black box? I’m willing to bet you have the noble metal driver. Supposedly, UF ran out of black box beryllium ones a long time ago.

The No 3 is awesome, isn’t it?

Jul 20, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #941 of 1,184
So you got the version with the black box? I’m willing to bet you have the noble metal driver. Supposedly, UF ran out of black box beryllium ones a long time ago.

For some reasons the upper mids and lower treble of the No.3 are harsh to me. I really prefer the BL03 or UF to the No.3, even though technically the No.3 is quite impressive.

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #942 of 1,184
For some reasons the upper mids and lower treble of the No.3 are harsh to me. I really prefer the BL03 or UF to the No.3, even though technically the No.3 is quite impressive.

Yeah, some people are more sensitive to upper mid bump than others.

Also, what tips do you use with the No 3? Wide bore tips can exacerbate the bump.

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #943 of 1,184
Yeah, some people are more sensitive to upper mid bump than others.

Also, what tips do you use with the No 3? Wide bore tips can exacerbate the bump.
I like the included tips, but use the narrow bore ones.

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #944 of 1,184

Yeah, No.3 IS awesome. Took way too long to break in (they're not joking when they rec 200 hours of burn in). I passed that mark long ago, and they are in my top 2 now. Really hope the ISSO14 lives up to their hype. Yeah, I was disappointed with recieving the black box. But unless I tear these things apart, I don't really have any way to know if these are the berry version or the noble ones. Not inclined (not do I have the patience or skills) to do that.
Again, I ordered these during Aliexpress's Birthday sale, way back in March. I dunno. I'll break em in and then make an evaluation. So far tho, they sound good and I haven't had any issues with the MMCX connector. The stock 3.5mm cable is total garbage tho, imho. Too thin, very stiff and easily prone to tangling. I immediately replaced it with the Tripowin Zonie balanced cable that I ordered with this iem at the time.
Much softer, and more comfortable. I'll post more impressions as I get more familiar with this set.
Hope these pics download.
https://s.amsu.ng/RxEQ58zIlnoN

Attachments

• 20200720_162908.jpg
    20200720_162908.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200720_162009.jpg
    20200720_162009.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20200629_101506.jpeg
    Resized_20200629_101506.jpeg
    502.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200720_162908.jpg
    20200720_162908.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200720_162009.jpg
    20200720_162009.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 21, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #945 of 1,184
Do you need to detach the MMCX cable to see the red and blue markings? I haven't detached the cable that came with it just yet, as I was worried about the connector. I don't see any red/blue markings so far, just the L/R imprint on both the earpieces and the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back