URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Jun 18, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #781 of 1,184
More people should be getting these units in the coming days/weeks, we'll see if my observations/experience gets confirmed or not.

I have one of the new batch ones on the way, which I will open up and examine to get to the bottom of things.

I have 3 pairs of the original version to compare with, both beryllium and noble metal (of which I can tell the difference with 100% accuracy), pink and grey cables. In addition to an IEC711 coupler for accurate measurements.

So basically, I’ll be able to find out what the heck is going on!

Jun 18, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #783 of 1,184
sorry guys for bringing that earphone to your attention, i had two pairs and both were fine, had no idea at the beginning that it will be such a inconsistency with that model
You couldn't possibly know that the manufacturer was going display suspicious practices. It's good that people like Slater have the tools and capability figure out what's going on, so that others can make more informed decisions in the future. In hindsight, I should have waited and see how the new batches worked out, before I ordered mine 2 days ago. Luckily, we aren't talking about $150+ IEMs.

Jun 18, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #784 of 1,184
Well I too ordered the new version from DD store and though I don't have any previous version to compare to, I do have blon 03 to put them against.

Although I will be just praying that Slater comes up with some good news.

I though still have some positivity left with BGGAR shilling them on the latest video as being a completely fixed version and if he is being honest they might actually sound like the old ones with the issues fixed. Or he will get some eyes turning 👀

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #785 of 1,184
I have one of the new batch ones on the way, which I will open up and examine to get to the bottom of things.

I have 3 pairs of the original version to compare with, both beryllium and noble metal (of which I can tell the difference with 100% accuracy), pink and grey cables. In addition to an IEC711 coupler for accurate measurements.

So basically, I’ll be able to find out what the heck is going on!

Thank you @Slater for taking the time and using your equipment and knowledge to try and get to the bottom of this.. I had such a horrible experience with DD on the shipping of mine, which I never did recieve, that I have been hesitant to try and reorder them even though I still want a pair.. Glad I waited and I await your findings.. I have a pair sitting in my Amazon cart due in stock on the 23rd..a bit more costly at 69 usd but a lot less stress ordering from Amazon. I guess my question to myself is do I really need them after getting in Tri I3, CCA CA16, and THIE L3 Mystique all in the last month or so... Too many earphones not enough ears.. Sigh.... Lol

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #787 of 1,184
I got both, the Tri i3 are in another category above. Don't get the Urbanfun, imo you'll be disappointed. I did.
Are the UF and the Tri i3 really comparable? They seem like very different IEMs. I have neither, so I’m curious.

Jun 19, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #788 of 1,184
Are the UF and the Tri i3 really comparable? They seem like very different IEMs. I have neither, so I’m curious.

Be aware that there are 3 versions of the ISS014, and at least 2 and possibly all 3 sound different.

Jun 19, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #789 of 1,184
I actually think they're quite similar sounding in terms of presentation/soundstage/imaging and timbre. The UF has slightly better bass, the I3 has better mids and treble. I consider the I3 to be the better all around pair, but they ARE strangely similar in my opinion.....

The urban fun is my baseline pair where diminishing returns kick in, hard. The TRI I3 is more than twice the price and just a hair better IMO. Anything else I've heard better than the I3 is just another hair better than them. The UF is the best bang for buck of anything out there.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #790 of 1,184
I actually think they're quite similar sounding in terms of presentation/soundstage/imaging and timbre. The UF has slightly better bass, the I3 has better mids and treble. I consider the I3 to be the better all around pair, but they ARE strangely similar in my opinion.....

The urban fun is my baseline pair where diminishing returns kick in, hard. The TRI I3 is more than twice the price and just a hair better IMO. Anything else I've heard better than the I3 is just another hair better than them. The UF is the best bang for buck of anything out there.
Thanks. I’ve read that for classical music and other acoustic genres the Tri i3 REALLY shines, with outstanding ambience.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #791 of 1,184
The urban fun is my baseline pair where diminishing returns kick in, hard. The TRI I3 is more than twice the price and just a hair better IMO
Hmmm this just makes me to rethink if I should buy the I3. I have UF but most if the time stays in my drawer because the bass is not good enough to me compare to my ISN D10.
Sorry, out of topic in this thread.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #792 of 1,184
Hmmm this just makes me to rethink if I should buy the I3. I have UF but most if the time stays in my drawer because the bass is not good enough to me compare to my ISN D10.

Sounds like you got the noble metal version. The bass on the original beryllium one is phenomenal!

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #793 of 1,184
Sounds like you got the noble metal version. The bass on the original beryllium one is phenomenal!
Agreed, I was one of the first batch of orders on here so I have the original beryllium with wonky mmcx connectors. Zero complaints on the bass at all. It only loses in quantity to my IMR Rah. Otherwise it can hang with anything else I've ever heard.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #794 of 1,184
I am thinking that possibility too. It is good but just not as good as my D10.
I bought from UF official store on AE by the way in Feb or early March

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #795 of 1,184
Agreed, I was one of the first batch of orders on here so I have the original beryllium with wonky mmcx connectors. Zero complaints on the bass at all. It only loses in quantity to my IMR Rah. Otherwise it can hang with anything else I've ever heard.

Yeah, my only pair of berylliums have super janky mmcx. I handle the sockets with kid gloves.

If the mmcx breaks, it will be very tragic, because the mmcx cannot be repaired due to the way that the shell is sealed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back