URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Mar 7, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #166 of 1,184
For me I just use the forced High Impedance mod, which changes the parameters in mixer_paths.xml. After doing the mod, it pretty much outputs much higher volume. You have to be rooted to do the mod though.

Honestly still loving my V30. I'm running Havoc OS on it and the DAC works like an absolute charm.
lol
I had two iBasso DX160's. One was the best sounding DAP I'd heard, the other good, but Bluetooth was completely 'donald ducked' on both. Both a little better sounding than the LG V30....but the V30 did hold it's own in many ways. The LG V30 is better than the Hiby R6. The V30 was thought out and was ahead of it's time. I got it 'cheap as chips' on ebay, brand new. For streaming music it is perfect, and Bluetooth LDAC after updating with Android 9....is great with the Radsone ES100. I'm a happy chappy. If anyone can get the V30 very cheaply on Ebay, it's a good DAP.
If you want a real upgrade try a dedicated DAC/AMP, for example I have a Schiit Asgard 3 with a 4490 module built in and it is wayyyyyy better than my LG V50 in any mode it can produce.

Mar 7, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #167 of 1,184
Yes I use it. Using a higher impedance adaptor sometimes tricks IEMs into 50 ohm mode, sometimes Aux mode and sometimes HiFi mode. The V30 has a mind of it's own. It does sound great though and has saved me spending on a mid range DAP as I just use it for Amazon HD Music (youtube and films too).
higher impedance adaptor should work well with single DD iem like urbanfun, but if you use it with iem that have uneven impendance curve like iem with ba driver, frequency response may change drastically.Also the resistor in impedance adaptor will suck out a chunk of output power during the process.
I use 3.5mm TRRS to TRS Cable Adaptor instead of high impedance adapter for my LG G7 so that it can trick my phone into high gain mode without the penalty of the extra impedance.
If your iem can switch cable, you can also use 2.5mm bal cable with 2.5 bal to 3.5 single end adapter can also do the job.

Mar 7, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #168 of 1,184
higher impedance adaptor should work well with single DD iem like urbanfun, but if you use it with iem that have uneven impendance curve like iem with ba driver, frequency response may change drastically.Also the resistor in impedance adaptor will suck out a chunk of output power during the process.
I use 3.5mm TRRS to TRS Cable Adaptor instead of high impedance adapter for my LG G7 so that it can trick my phone into high gain mode without the penalty of the extra impedance.
If your iem can switch cable, you can also use 2.5mm bal cable with 2.5 bal to 3.5 single end adapter can also do the job.
NEWS at 11! Your high impedance adapter also uses a resistor, there is no other way to control voltage drop, current remains the same.

edit: I'm an Electrical Engineer, you can look up anything I say. Don't care.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #169 of 1,184
Owning the LG V30 is like having a dog. I have different adaptors, including plain bog-standard, 10 cm, cables. I find the V30 inconsistent how it "interprets" IEM's, cables and adapters, not always in the expected way that it 'should' react to the impedences stated for given IEMs. Still as long as I play around with it I get the sound I want. The V30 should make a good phone too, it's still fairly competitive with my S9 plus in most aspects.

Mar 7, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #170 of 1,184
Owning the LG V30 is like having a dog. I have different adaptors, including plain bog-standard, 10 cm, cables. I find the V30 inconsistent how it "interprets" IEM's, cables and adapters, not always in the expected way that it 'should' react to the impedences stated for given IEMs. Still as long as I play around with it I get the sound I want. The V30 should make a good phone too, it's still fairly competitive with my S9 plus in most aspects.
I agree, I have a Note 8 and LG V50 and they sound very comparable when using "bit perfect" mode in UAPP w/ TIDAL. They suck compared to my desktop setup though.

Mar 7, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #171 of 1,184
NEWS at 11! Your high impedance adapter also uses a resistor, there is no other way to control voltage drop, current remains the same.

edit: I'm an Electrical Engineer, you can look up anything I say. Don't care.
but your science teacher wont tell you it is still worth it to put a high impedance adapter on a LG phone since it produce more output power at higher gain aux mode than their poor low power output low impedance mode even with the voltage drop of resistor :beyersmile:
index.php

Mar 7, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #172 of 1,184
but your science teacher wont tell you it is still worth it to put a high impedance adapter on a LG phone since it produce more output power at higher gain aux mode than their poor low power output low impedance mode even with the voltage drop of resistor :beyersmile:
index.php
You don't even know what "gain" means, it's very important in electronics but doesn't have too much to do with what you're talking about. Gain is basically Voltage out over Voltage in, a ratio. It's a unitless number to describe output. I'm not doubting that it's worth to connect an adapter to get more power, I actually said that in my post above. :) Just remember that resistors consume power, no bueno for good sound.

Mar 7, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #173 of 1,184
I agree, I have a Note 8 and LG V50 and they sound very comparable when using "bit perfect" mode in UAPP w/ TIDAL. They suck compared to my desktop setup though.
I have to be careful with my home setup not to make my neighbor's life a misery. For the sake of convenience I use the iFi Zen Blue, in LDAC, connected to the Amptastic Mini 1 T-Amp and an old pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers. For my size room it sounds good enough for me. I'm getting old and my dysfunctional ticker appreciates the V30 as a remote transmitter for the Zen Blue. It does sound nice enough though to keep me contented.

Mar 7, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #174 of 1,184
You don't even know what "gain" means, it's very important in electronics but doesn't have too much to do with what you're talking about. Gain is basically Voltage out over Voltage in, a ratio. It's a unitless number to describe output. I'm not doubting that it's worth to connect an adapter to get more power, I actually said that in my post above. :) Just remember that resistors consume power, no bueno for good sound.
gain is a electrical term but not limits to explaining electrical stuff, I don't think the software ReplayGain can actually change you gain setting of your amplifier, its fair to say it is at higher gain since max voltage output indeed increase when it is at aux mode or high impedance mode.
I prefer adapter that doesn't have extra impedance on it as I explained before, but I don't think extra resistor must be bad for the sound.It may serve no noticeable change on sound, or some may argue that it improves the sound.
You can find resistors anywhere on dac, amp and earphone design, how much power it cost of a component does not have a direct relationship of how good its sound.
Some super inefficient planar like HE-6 is basically a resistive component that turns a lot of energy into heat instead of sound energy, but many people will prefer this over some super efficient but bad sounding earphones.

Mar 7, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #175 of 1,184
I had two iBasso DX160's. One was the best sounding DAP I'd heard, the other good, but Bluetooth was completely 'donald ducked' on both. Both a little better sounding than the LG V30....but the V30 did hold it's own in many ways. The LG V30 is better than the Hiby R6. The V30 was thought out and was ahead of it's time. I got it 'cheap as chips' on ebay, brand new. For streaming music it is perfect, and Bluetooth LDAC after updating with Android 9....is great with the Radsone ES100. I'm a happy chappy. If anyone can get the V30 very cheaply on Ebay, it's a good DAP.

Same, I got it off of ebay too. You can now buy a new V30 on eBay for around $200, or a used one in excellent condition for around $150. Audio aside, the V30 is still one of the best smartphones you can get for value. You still get a reasonably fast chip, a great camera, waterproofing, and of course the quad DAC. It's also a great device for modding and flashing custom ROMs. No need to spend $1400 on the latest S20 when two year old phones still work great.

Mar 8, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #180 of 1,184
Yeah cat is out of the bag. Had one of his fans ask why I said the Urbanfun had a bit more sub bass than the Blon when BGGAR's graph said otherwise. Where is my graph? And your music sucks. Apparently no room for other opinions, just hit buy now on the Linsoul link sir.
My ears also hear more sub bass on the Urbanfun and the bass is way more defined on the Urbanfun too. I really appreciate the Blon 03 but the URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 is special by any standards. Graphs are good.....but listening is way better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back