Urban Wildlife De-Diversification Experiment - Update
Sep 9, 2002 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

j-curve

100+ Head-Fier
In perhaps the largest scale experiment of its kind, it has been shown that with sufficient tonnage of concrete and hectarage of tarmac, wildlife is reduced to approximately four species. The successful adaptors consist of two bird types and two mammals, being the crow, pigeon, feral cat and subway rat.
The crow is a smart bird. With the demise of all happily-chirping birds it wisely constrains its singing to a sardonic caw at dawn and dusk. The pigeon knows to gabble only in the safety of numbers from somewhere out of reach, up high in the rafters. The feral cat can be heard "associating" with other feral cats (or your household pet) after midnight but is otherwise silent. The subway rat, also living in fear due to the near-extinction of its bedfellow the cockroach, daren't utter a squeak.
A spokesman praised the four species, pointing out that they had learned to live together and that none of them eats any of the others. "We don't expect any major changes in the survey results until the end of the fossil fuel era", the spokesman was reported as saying.

Sep 9, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 4
Don't really know, but there just don't seem to be any gaps anywhere. Nowhere to run to, nowhere to hide I guess.

Sep 10, 2002 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 4
I suspect that the four emerging successful species have formed an unholy alliance to erridicate the otherwise dominant cockroaches. Additionally, I have reason to suspect that when they have fully succeded in eradication of the now minority cockroaches, they will then turn their shiny little eye towards the other dominant species in these habitats. Beware my friend, Beware!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back