Urban Exploration
Feb 5, 2008 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Marados

100+ Head-Fier
Is anyone else here into it?

I personally love the idea of it, but there's no-where around here I can really explore, so all I can really do is look at galleries of other people's work. I'm always on the lookout for abandoned places around here though, to have a look around.

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 15
I am not big into it, but I did have an explore around an abandoned building on the university campus a few years back. It was a science block, so there were rooms full of outdated equipment, beakers and stuff on benches, lockers with lab coats and old papers (some as far back as 1983 IIRC). Tremendously exciting, but not sure if I'd want to do it again. I wish I'd taken some photos, really.

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 15
I'd like to explore the Paris catacombs myself.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not big into it, but I did have an explore around an abandoned building on the university campus a few years back. It was a science block, so there were rooms full of outdated equipment, beakers and stuff on benches, lockers with lab coats and old papers (some as far back as 1983 IIRC). Tremendously exciting, but not sure if I'd want to do it again. I wish I'd taken some photos, really.

Yeah, that's sort of thing I love. Not only is there the standing building which is proof of recent history, but when there's discarded stuff in it, it just gives it so much of an atmosphere. We've got a few bachs full of old stuff, that I simply adore to be around: who knows what history is behind it! Seeing stuff in abandoned hospitals is pretty moving. Did people die here? And if so, what were they like? Were they a good person, a bad person? You can speculate on the history in the day of today - leave you to speculate about what relic xyz meant to it's owner.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 15
Yeah, I do it a little, I was in an abandoned hospital a few months ago. It was fun, the guy I brought with me was way freaked out. I was able to get a few pics, nothing too pressing. I had to sit and explain to my twenty something partner in crime that there was nothing to fear but the police and a trespass warrant. I've been putting off photos lately. But there is always something you can get. Where are you at? It doesn't always have to be in a city. I live in the "country" (temp displacement) There is abandoned everything all over, houses, railroad property, schools, etc.. I'm a member of some of the other photog forums. They are an excellent resource (much like this) of spots and locations. Plus if you have a car, it's always great to put your camera in the passenger seat and just drive somewhere. There is always something.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 15
If you want to explore then try Venice Italy, we would get lost for hours then get the map out and work our way back to a place to eat or shop or whatever. No cars, just you and your Nike's! Thousands of miles all packed into a place about the size of central park.

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 15
I'm afraid of visiting abandoned places and have a general fear of being away from population centers. I do like exploring big urban cities though. In New York, I just walked around for hours and nearly ended up on the train to Harlem.

Next adventure will probably be in Seattle, San Francisco, or a drive up the PCH.

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 15
There isn't much old or abandoned out here. And police coverage is a little too good.

The old academy used to be empty, back when i was a teenager, and i was too much of a goody two-shoes to explore it like everybody else was. Allegations of stuff that went on there ranged from the cool to the bizarre to the twisted.

And then about 10 years ago they poured a truckload of money into it on the pretense of moving the city library into it, and instead turned the oldest, best building into rental office space, knocked down the others, and put up a new crappy library building next to it.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 15
Yeah, it's funny, I'm more willing to do it now that I'm older, than when I was in my teens. Reason being, I'm not there to break or even disturb anything, get some good photos, acknowledge it being there and move on. It's illegal, but by no means unethical. It's usually illegal due to safety. I always have gloves, resporator, pads and helmet if needed. And motivation to run like heck if needed. My friend was also freaked out about the hospital two months earlier, a young gentleman commited suicide, and there were rumors when the hospital shut down, they left bodies in the morgue. The suicide was true, he shot himself over what was believed financial troubles. I couldn't find anything about forgotten/discarded bodies.

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 15
I did it a couple times with one of my friends back in Columbus. It was rather fun actually. It certainly is interesting to go around and see parts of the city that are usually hidden from our view. I haven't really had time to do it around Atlanta, but I bet there is so much around here that would be cool to go exploring in and around.

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 15
Here in the Kansas City area, there is a twelve-foot [more-or-less] layer of limestone fairly close to the surface, and fairly level. It was mined for gravel and the spaces are commonly used for warehousing. You can drive thru some of them, and others are abandoned and open to exploration. A whole different world! I've been told that KC has as many acres below ground as above.

Laz

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here in the Kansas City area, there is a twelve-foot [more-or-less] layer of limestone fairly close to the surface, and fairly level. It was mined for gravel and the spaces are commonly used for warehousing. You can drive thru some of them, and others are abandoned and open to exploration. A whole different world! I've been told that KC has as many acres below ground as above.

Laz

Most of Kansas City is also pretty much abandoned. I lived downtown all last year and some nights I felt like I was in a movie where I was the last man left on Earth.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....or a drive up the PCH.

DO IT! I've been up and down the left coast a few times and it's wonderful. I especially love the Oregon coast. Except for about 20 miles, you can see the ocean the entire way. There's too much to recommend here, but just get in the car and go. You'll find plenty on your own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brotherlen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PCH is pretty fun, get crazy and take the ALCAN HWY all the way up! Best and most scenic route I've ever driven! ( I drove from Alaska to Florida summer of 00)

I'm doing this later this year, probably early September when it gets a little colder and there are fewer tourists. And for a chance to get a look at the Northern lights, as well. I'm planning to fly into Seattle and make the drive from there to Fairbanks and back.

As for urban exploration, yeah, a number of times. There was an abandoned factory I used to go through with my friends. Went through a lot of abandoned places in the local mountains, and used to creep around downtown LA a lot when I was in undergrad.

More recently, I've taken a few vacations off the beaten path and gone through abandoned places in rural areas. Good fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back