UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Oct 30, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #511 of 1,138
Oct 30, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #513 of 1,138

I think he was asking about this cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-TeraLink-X1-X2-DC8-5V-1A-USB-DC5V-port-external-Linear-Power-Supply-/301778627741

Ah, sorry about that. But you can still use the USB to DC Type M 5.5mm/2.1mm cable to power the Regen from an external battery. I'll be using the cable to power my Regen from the USB port of my Geek LPS4's 5V output, so I don't use up one of the 12V ports. Cheers 

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #514 of 1,138
Ah, sorry about that. But you can still use the USB to DC Type M 5.5mm/2.1mm cable to power the Regen from an external battery. I'll be using the cable to power my Regen from the USB port of my Geek LPS4's 5V output, so I don't use up one of the 12V ports. Cheers 

Thank you

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #515 of 1,138
What is the power cable coming from the Anker powering the Regen, please?

That is my missing link, literally.

Can the choice of cable out of the Anker make it 6v or 7v ?

Oct 31, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #516 of 1,138
Have anyone tried something like this(Elijah Audio)
bpm.jpg

AFTER the Regen and before entering the DAC? Using a USB A male to B male dito of course. This would replace the solid adapter.
Trying to think outside the box! :wink:

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #518 of 1,138
The Regen is designed to be mounted as closely as possible to the DAC or USB bridge USB port. Uptone put much care in designing the Regen- for exact impedance matching. So they recommend nothing in between but the supplied adapter, for best results.

Yes, I know! But this would actually be a solid adapter...just battery powered right before it enters the DAC. :) Just imagine the adapter with USB A male to B male instead. Elijah Audio make these by hand I have asked him IF he could make this special one as well. Michael seems very cooprative! :wink:
I have actually asked him for a plain solid adaper (as Regen dito) and a USB A male to A female with blocked 5v pin as well (for use in computer with my Vertere Acoustic USB cable). I will let you know IF he is willing to do them! :wink:

Please note! I am still investigating if adding battery psu on the solid adapter is safe thing to do or not after the Regen. I definately think it could be a good idea but not sure if it will increase sq noticeable or not or if it will cause any other problems at this stage.

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #519 of 1,138
Yes, I know! But this would actually be a solid adapter...just battery powered right before it enters the DAC. :) Just imagine the adapter with USB A male to B male instead. Elijah Audio make these by hand I have asked him IF he could make this special one as well. Michael seems very cooprative! :wink:
I have actually asked him for a plain solid adaper (as Regen dito) and a USB A male to A female with blocked 5v pin as well (for use in computer with my Vertere Acoustic USB cable). I will let you know IF he is willing to do them! :wink:

Please note! I am still investigating if adding battery psu on the solid adapter is safe thing to do or not after the Regen. I definately think it could be a good idea but not sure if it will increase sq noticeable or not or if it will cause any other problems at this stage.

I see, that makes sense. I love the way that the Regen improves the sound, but the way it hangs off the back of my USB bridge on that adapter is kind of sketchy. I'm planning to directly wire the Regen's USB outputs to my DU-U8's USB inputs, using Mundorf solid silver teflon wire. The DU-8 uses AC power so only the datalines are needed. This will bypass any sockets and adapter after the Regen.

Bypassing the Regen USB output power feed will also bypass using it's ultra low noise regulated 5vdc power feed, esp if the Regen is being fed by a decent LPS. I would recommend chucking that SMPS provided, and getting a LPS TeraDak R-Core SB30W. Then the Regen will be providing a very clean power fed to your DDC or DAC.

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #520 of 1,138

I see, that makes sense. I love the way that the Regen improves the sound, but the way it hangs off the back of my USB bridge on that adapter is kind of sketchy. I'm planning to directly wire the Regen's USB outputs to my DU-U8's USB inputs, using Mundorf solid silver teflon wire. The DU-8 uses AC power so only the datalines are needed. This will bypass any sockets and adapter after the Regen.

Bypassing the Regen USB output power feed will also bypass using it's ultra low noise regulated 5vdc power feed, esp if the Regen is being fed by a decent LPS. I would recommend chucking that SMPS provided, and getting a LPS TeraDak R-Core SB30W. Then the Regen will be providing a very clean power fed to your DDC or DAC.

Michael at Elijah Audio responded me that he cannot make a solid adapter but requires minimum 5-6cm Mundorf silver/gold wires with silk sleeving between the USB A male and USB B male due to plug configurations. I have asked him how much that would be (without battery cable attached, ie as a hq adapter cable) and are waiting for a reply. I guess using Mundorf silver wires for + and gold wires on - would be a good idea on your interesting project as well? Several others like for example Entreq uses silver/gold wires for a neutral sound.
The solid USB A male to USB A female with blocked 5v pin was USD95 including freight to Sweden BTW. I will order this since it will be a useful adapter (for any USB cable) with the Regen.
I have a KingRex uPower (battery power) that I will use for my Regen when it arrives in November and have no plans to use the original SMPS. Originally thought I could use both the 7,5v and 5v output at the same time...but this was not as simple as I thought as it could potensially damage any connected device in my USB chain..so I will use it for the Regen only. However, I have asked KingRex about it...but still nothing but silence from them. The 5v USB output on the uPower is linear and not switched so it would be nice to use if possible.

You have a very interesting project indeed...but way to advanced for me personally to execute. I wish you all the luck! Do report back IF and when it is all done. Would be interesting to see how it turns out! :)

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #521 of 1,138
Michael at Elijah Audio responded me that he cannot make a solid adapter but requires minimum 5-6cm Mundorf silver/gold wires with silk sleeving between the USB A male and USB B male due to plug configurations. I have asked him how much that would be (without battery cable attached, ie as a hq adapter cable) and are waiting for a reply. I guess using Mundorf silver wires for + and gold wires on - would be a good idea on your interesting project as well? Several others like for example Entreq uses silver/gold wires for a neutral sound.
The solid USB A male to USB A female with blocked 5v pin was USD95 including freight to Sweden BTW. I will order this since it will be a useful adapter (for any USB cable) with the Regen.
I have a KingRex uPower (battery power) that I will use for my Regen when it arrives in November and have no plans to use the original SMPS. Originally thought I could use both the 7,5v and 5v output at the same time...but this was not as simple as I thought as it could potensially damage any connected device in my USB chain..so I will use it for the Regen only. However, I have asked KingRex about it...but still nothing but silence from them. The 5v USB output on the uPower is linear and not switched so it would be nice to use if possible.

You have a very interesting project indeed...but way to advanced for me personally to execute. I wish you all the luck! Do report back IF and when it is all done. Would be interesting to see how it turns out!
smily_headphones1.gif

I may want to order one as well.  I like the idea of the Mundorf silver/gold - I guess he uses the stranded vs soild.  I tend toward the solid to min surface eddy effects - same for the using teflon as dialectic.  Do you know what gauge he uses?

The RexKing is a good PS - that will improve the sound over the SMPS. Use the 7.5VDC connection the Regen has a step down ultra low noise regulator to 5VDC for the USB power lines, and a separate 3.3vdc for the internal clock and reclocking circuit.

I've had great SQ success using external USB bridges to my DACs. In fact, just finishing a 6 external USB bridge shootout.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip.

Report back on your listening results with the custom connector - at $95 not cheap - but if it improves the SQ worth it.

Cheers!

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #522 of 1,138
OK second Regen arrived brand new.  Installed this morning in my main system. The used one I bought went into a very nice office second system at work.

Not the big change in SQ I heard in the office system.  Maybe because it's new?  Clocks do need some run in time.  Same DDC but different DACs.  Using the better TeraDak LPS R-Core SB30W set to 7.5 VDC in this main system.  The sound is slightly more detailed but an a slight amount of edge appeared.  I'll try tonight without the JB.  Give it a weeks 24/7 run in then swap with the other one.  To see if it's maybe a variation in devices, a system synergy thing, or just a matter of burnin.

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #523 of 1,138

You have a very interesting project indeed...but way to advanced for me personally to execute. I wish you all the luck! Do report back IF and when it is all done. Would be interesting to see how it turns out! :)

I may want to order one as well.  I like the idea of the Mundorf silver/gold - I guess he uses the stranded vs soild.  I tend toward the solid to min surface eddy effects - same for the using teflon as dialectic.  Do you know what gauge he uses?

The RexKing is a good PS - that will improve the sound over the SMPS. Use the 7.5VDC connection the Regen has a step down ultra low noise regulator to 5VDC for the USB power lines, and a separate 3.3vdc for the internal clock and reclocking circuit.

I've had great SQ success using external USB bridges to my DACs. In fact, just finishing a 6 external USB bridge shootout.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip.

Report back on your listening results with the custom connector - at $95 not cheap - but if it improves the SQ worth it.

Cheers!

I have ordered both adapters from Elijah Audio for USD155 including freight. USD75 for the USB A male to A female with 5v block (used at computer) and USD80 for USB A male to B male (no blocks) with Mundorf silver/gold wires and silk sleeves and regular USB plugs. I do not know which gauge he uses...but if you are interested you can e-mail Michael at michael@elijahaudio.com and ask him.

I recently sold my Stello U3. Was pretty happy with it...but wanted to get a different (and more simple) approach when I bought my Pioneer U-05-S, Vertere Acoustic Pulse USB cables, KingRex uPower and Entreq Minimus/Ertha RCA. Just waiting for my new Elijah Adio adapters and the Regen and I am hopefully all done for a while! :wink:

BTW I still have a Aqvox Linear PSU with USB B female to B male plugs. I will try it out after the Regen and before entering the DAC before I descide if I should keep it or not. If it make a good sq improvements I will investigating further if it is possible to safely use the BPM battery PSU from Elijah Audio in the same spot! :wink:

/Micael

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #524 of 1,138
I have ordered both adapters from Elijah Audio for USD155 including freight. USD75 for the USB A male to A female with 5v block (used at computer) and USD80 for USB A male to B male (no blocks) with Mundorf silver/gold wires and silk sleeves and regular USB plugs. I do not know which gauge he uses...but if you are interested you can e-mail Michael at michael@elijahaudio.com and ask him.

I recently sold my Stello U3. Was pretty happy with it...but wanted to get a different (and more simple) approach when I bought my Pioneer U-05-S, Vertere Acoustic Pulse USB cables, KingRex uPower and Entreq Minimus/Ertha RCA. Just waiting for my new Elijah Adio adapters and the Regen and I am hopefully all done for a while!
wink.gif

BTW I still have a Aqvox Linear PSU with USB B female to B male plugs. I will try it out after the Regen and before entering the DAC before I descide if I should keep it or not. If it make a good sq improvements I will investigating further if it is possible to safely use the BPM battery PSU from Elijah Audio in the same spot!
wink.gif

/Micael

Thanks for the email.  Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back