UpTone Audio ISO Regen Listening Impressions
Apr 26, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #106 of 130
I have another interesting(at least I think it is xD) endorsement. I greatly prefer my Audio-GD NFB-11 with the ISO Regen, Ultracap LPS, star quad cable, and Topaz Ultra Isolator, to my Audio-GD NFB-7 and 1-AMP without the iso regen and topaz. Whereas the nfb7 and 1amp with the regen and topaz is significantly better than the nfb11. These devices let you hear exactly what the dacs and amps are capable of, free of practically all outside influences.

Apr 27, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #107 of 130
So if I have a short .8m usb run between my Aries G1 streamer and Mytek Brooklyn I could benefit from adding this within the chain.? It’s hard for me to believe what’s leaving the Aries is crap and needs fixing.

If someone says different I might try it but it’s difficult to get head around this stuff. Adding another box with a another power source with another usb cable...

Apr 27, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #108 of 130
So if I have a short .8m usb run between my Aries G1 streamer and Mytek Brooklyn I could benefit from adding this within the chain.? It’s hard for me to believe what’s leaving the Aries is crap and needs fixing.

If someone says different I might try it but it’s difficult to get head around this stuff. Adding another box with a another power source with another usb cable...

Might want to try the ca thread for that one.
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...mpressions-kicked-off-with-some-measurements/

Apr 28, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #109 of 130
I am a user of Ultrarendu on my main system with LPS1.2 PS. There is no debate the rendu works wonders IMHO.
My office system is what I thought needed help and I tried several USB decrapifiers going to my Soekris DAC1421. None of the USB cleaners affected sound quality at all. As I studied more into Soekris I found they seem to manage poor power with their own internals. I am not saying the USB cleaners don't work, I am saying they are not needed with a Soekris DAC.
The prices on these devices, even better used, should allow someone to buy and try and if it works it is a keeper. Else pass it along on your favorite audio equipment sales site.

Apr 30, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #110 of 130
I am a user of Ultrarendu on my main system with LPS1.2 PS. There is no debate the rendu works wonders IMHO.
My office system is what I thought needed help and I tried several USB decrapifiers going to my Soekris DAC1421. None of the USB cleaners affected sound quality at all. As I studied more into Soekris I found they seem to manage poor power with their own internals. I am not saying the USB cleaners don't work, I am saying they are not needed with a Soekris DAC.
The prices on these devices, even better used, should allow someone to buy and try and if it works it is a keeper. Else pass it along on your favorite audio equipment sales site.
Did you try an ISORegen ?

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #112 of 130
The Soekris 1421 has high speed usb isolation, so the usb stage is probably self powered by the dacs smps, that could be why you didnt notice a change with the iso regen. That systems source is a regular windows pc? Sometimes one layer of noise or less than perfect performance will mask improvements in other areas.

May 1, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #114 of 130
actually looking at the board it looks like the isolation is after the xmos receiver.

When you tried the iso regen did you only use the included smps?

May 4, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #115 of 130
My dream setup, Chord Hugo 2 with an Uptone ISO Regen/LPS 1.2 and Sonore DC-4 cable + Curious USB cable. Listening to the chain on a set of Empire Ears Legend X and PW Audio 1950's. Extra, super special, custom hand-built Lego stand and a Crane stand for my laptop. Running DSD512 through BitPerfect on iTunes.

It is the best sounding setup that I have owned. Resolving, transparent, and musical, it is everything I ever wanted out of a transportable rig. I don't really have that many words to say as I have been lost in the music since I've assembled everything a few days ago. I have been trying to recreate the feeling of being at (((Stereo))) in Montreal, an after-hours club that has North America's best sound system (as touted by many international artists that have played there), while at the comfort of my own desk. The club itself is the best in Canada by far as it caters to the underground techno and house that the Europeans are known for. It's really an experience that cannot be described with words and one that needs to be experienced for themselves. Anyways, enjoy the pics and music! I threw in a mix by Pan-Pot @ Stereo from 2013, it's a 6 hour mix and I was there for 4 of it, this rig brings me right back to that dance floor and disco ball.

PS. Also biggest disco ball in NA :)

10286131.jpg
10286133.jpg
10286134.jpg

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #116 of 130
I have to admit that ISO Regen is another animal when tried with Sbooster instead of a cheap switching PS. It might be better with LPS1.2 but even with this one provides a big improvement to Qutest.

USB02.jpg

Later Edit: And it seems my problem that ISO Regen needed restart from day to day so the DAC would be seen by the PC was solved with Sbooster. Maybe also it counts that all components are now plugged in the same power strip and have common ground. But for 3 days the DAC is OK and ISO Regen was not restarted.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #117 of 130
By selling some audio equipment I was not using I had the chance to receive an iFi iGalvanic 3.0 and an iFi nano iUSB 3.0 in exchange for a discount. Does it make sense to add them into the chain before ISO Regen? Has anyone tried something like this? If not, I'll sell them.

May 10, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #118 of 130
By selling some audio equipment I was not using I had the chance to receive an iFi iGalvanic 3.0 and an iFi nano iUSB 3.0 in exchange for a discount. Does it make sense to add them into the chain before ISO Regen? Has anyone tried something like this? If not, I'll sell them.

Functionally they are a bit redundant--both with each other and with the ISO REGEN, but of course you can combine them and see if you like it.
Both the ISO REGEN and the iGalvanic utilize the now discontinued Silanna Semiconductor ICE08USB high-speed USB isolation chip at their inputs, followed by a USB3.1 hub chip.

The similarities end there as the ISO REGEN uses a ultra-low-jitter/phase-noise Crystek CCHD-575 oscillator, and we use 5 of the world's lowest noise integrated linear voltage regulators, the wonderful Linear Technology LT3042.
iFi went to a lot of time and expense to develop a transformer and switching regulator circuit to transfer 5VBUS across the isolation "moat," so that the iGalvanic could be completely bus-powered. Only trouble is, the iGalvanic then consumes about 360mA just to run it, leaving not a lot of current for the downstream DAC's VBUS load (unless you run the iGalvanic from a USB3.0 cable which does offer more than the USB2.0 500mA per-port spec). That's why a lot of people use the iGalvanic with their iDefender--which provides a means of injecting 5VBUS power after the iGalvanic (and iFi launched with those as a bundle). But then what was the point of making the whole thing bus-powered? Whatever you use for VBUS power injection downstream of their unit is then introducing another AC-leakage point (and their iPower SMPS warts put our copious amounts of that).

With the ISO REGEN, 20mA of computer 5VBUS current is used to power the upstream (computer) side of the Silanna isolator chip at its input (actually we bypass the Silanna's internal 5V>3.3V regulator and dedicate an LT3042 to that task; probably not necessary on that "dirty side", but we do it anyway). Then the entire isolated downstream side (the downstream side of the isolator, the hub chip, and the clock) is powered by four LT3042s--with carefully done capacitor networks of X7R caps around both the chips and the regs. And a 1-amp TI TPS7A4700 regulator is dedicated to producing plenty of clan 5VBUS current to those DACs that need it. All of that is externally powered by any 6~8 volt supply (even 5V or 9V is okay if you DAC does not draw ANY VBUS current). The current draw of the downstream side of the ISO REGEN (excluding any attached 5VBUS load) is a modest 240mA.

Our products are sold with a 30-day money back guarantee, so we invite anyone to listen and compare. :ksc75smile:

May 10, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #119 of 130
First of all, many thanks for your detailed answer. I am posting only for information, as I've said before I got these iFi devices by chance and I said why not to try them and see what is all about. After all I am a software tester in real file and I was also a hardware tester/developer in the past in Embedded Software area using microcontrollers from several vendors in home appliances and automotive projects. So you realize that I really like to test and compare gadgets like these and also to understand what is happening under the cover. This is why I really appreciate your detailed answer.

Now back on topic. I am quite pleased by the ISO Regen since the Sbooster replaced my cheap switching power supply. I have to say also that I have a feeling of a small loss of dynamics when adding the Regen, but the Regen darkened the background and added some clarity to the overall presentation which is for me more important. A few minutes ago I tried the iGalvanic3.0 placed before ISO Regen and it had not worked at all. So I just try now the ISO Regen + Sbooster vs nano iGalvanic3.0 + nano iUSB3.0. The ISO Regen is superior for my taste, but also a part of this is caused by Sbooster (5-6V) which cannot be used to power the nano iUSB3.0. I cannot say what would be the situation when powering the iUSB3.0 via a linear power supply. Anyway, according to iFi marketing the iUSB products should be "clean" enough without any other additional power filtering or regeneration, since the included iPower is doing the same stuff.

I will continue my tests and in the future add the JCAT Femto in the constellation. We will see what will happen.

As a conclusion:

1) ISO Regen + Sbooster = darker, crisper, somehow condensed
2) iFi nano iGalvanic3.0 + iFi nano iUSB3.0 + iPower 9V (included) = airier, more relaxed, less precise but better than no filtering.

My choice now: ISO Regen.

The cables hell of a testing evening:

USBTests.jpg

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #120 of 130
ISO Regen since the Sbooster replaced my cheap switching power supply. I have to say also that I have a feeling of a small loss of dynamics when adding the Regen,
This could be due to the sbooster power supply, a choke filtered linear power supply, they're good units but the uptone ultracaps destroy them in terms of speed and dynamics. And dont forget the cable between the power supply and the regen either adds a layer of noise or removes it ;]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back