Upsampling?
Mar 8, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Glassman
oh yes you can, remember what nVidia did with GeForce2 MX - pure analog smoothing - enabled all the time
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

aka it sucked!
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
aka it sucked!
tongue.gif

Oh, it was a joke? Damn, I've swallowed it!
biggrin.gif
I had to chew a bit on this...

peacesign.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #18 of 26
Yeah, the 2D display of some of those cards was extremely fuzzy; nice and smoothed.

Video card anti-aliasing is not analogous to oversampling in audio though, because the video card has a lot of extra information it can use to apply the anti-aliasing. The video card issue is more like an ultra high-resolution source that has to be downsampled at some point; of course there'll be big gains when sampling at a higher level there.

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I really liked the upsampling /interpolation in the perpetual technologies p1a/p3a combo. I always found it a worthwhile improvement over non-upsampled redbook; from these same units. I do not like the upsampling options on the philips 963sa at all. Like most things, its not just the method, but the best implementation that gets the superior results.

Hi Earl,
I am thinking of upgrading my ACK DACK to the Perpetual Technologies combo.
Have you heard the DACK DACK?
I am looking for more dynamics but still retaining smoothness.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Bob

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Prediction:this will be the least missed topic of discussion 10 years from now.

I hope, and expect, you are correct. Still, the more times you use a master tape the more music you loose.

Quote:

Like most things, its not just the method, but the best implementation that gets the superior results.

Very true. The whole process of converting an inherently analog signal (i.e. a "real" instrument) to digital is full of bugaboos...

Jan 8, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
For those taking sides on this issue, I'd recommend using your ears first... it's pointless to side with oversampling, upsampling or anything else until you've been able to hear and compare good implementations of these things. There are areas where measurements say something important, but IMO this is not one of them.

Agreed!!

I have here with me right now two different players, one that oversamples.. 1bit 256fs...

The other UPsamples... 24bit/192khz

Both sound very different... its all a matter of taste (and manufacturer... and budget... lol)

Jan 10, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Agreed!!

I have here with me right now two different players, one that oversamples.. 1bit 256fs...

The other UPsamples... 24bit/192khz

Both sound very different... its all a matter of taste (and manufacturer... and budget... lol)

The difference between them is not in the oversampling, since both do it. The difference between them is in the technology of the final D/A stage. It is the amount of quantization and noise shaping used at the actual D/A converter final stage. The 1-bit 256fs quantizes to a single bit and requires higher oversampling to distribute the quantization noise over a wider bandwidth, while the 24-bit/192k probably uses a 4 or 5 bit D/A stage with milder noise shaping. Single-bit 256fs converters cannot achieve 120 dB SNR, while the multi-bit converter is capable of the 120 dB SNR (20-bit performance). There is no monolithic true 24-bit converter in players today.

Sergio

Jan 11, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

I really liked the upsampling /interpolation in the perpetual technologies p1a/p3a combo. I always found it a worthwhile improvement over non-upsampled redbook; from these same units. I do not like the upsampling options on the philips 963sa at all. Like most things, its not just the method, but the best implementation that gets the superior results.

I have to second your thoughts on the 963SA.
I find it to be very non involving, The upsampling smooths out the jaggies but in a "processed" sort of way.
That is why I am using it mainly for DVD's these days and going the Modded CD25 route for Music.
The RAM CD25/MPX3 combo is creamy but Natural (kinda like Haagen-Daaz)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back