UPS Stole my Camera!!!!
Jun 6, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #46 of 74
I live in a big apartment complex which houses mostly students, and UPS has a tendency to leave juicy, inviting packages outside peoples' doors without having them sign for it. Despite making several phone calls to UPS about it, I've had two packages from Amazon stolen this way. Luckily, Amazon took care of it right away and issued a refund...

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #47 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ed sorry to hear about the theft. What made you decide on that particular camera?

Smallest HD quality video cam. And it outputs AVI files. I don't mind the MJPEG codec, since Auto GK can compress it to DIVX and XVID easily.

Editing on a nonlinear program is problematic though. Sony Vegas doesn't read MJPEG without buying a codec. Bleh.

I'm reevaluating my camcorder purchase. I think I may end up getting a Canon HV20, provided I can actually find one for $800 or less. That is really pushing my budget, though.

-Ed

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #48 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by vibin247 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is why buying at a brick and mortar store is more secure, because at least you've got the merchandise in hand, and if there's a problem, it won't take weeks or even months to solve it.

Not always the case. Be aware at all times.

This guy was sold an empty box from CompUSA.
http://www.thepomoblog.com/archive/l...nse-for-theft/

Also, Best Buy tried to sell me a Samsung A900 Phone minus the actual phone. If it wasn't for the fact that it had to be activated in the store, I may not have noticed, since the manual and accessories weigh more than the phone itself. Oh, and the best part, is that when Best Buy reported the phone being stolen to the police, they reported the wrong phone, they reported the new phone that they gave me in place of the one with the missing phone. So I had to go through the hassle of telling the police that the Best Buy employees were morons.

rolleyes.gif

Either way, I buy with a credit card, nearly everything I buy, even though I don't carry a balance or debt. The added protection and convenience is worth it alone.

-Ed

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #49 of 74
Oh man! That really sucks give me a call tomorrow during the day and I'll talk to my boss and see if he's got any tips for how to handle this. We're an ASO for them so he may have some ideas.

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #50 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, Best Buy tried to sell me a Samsung A900 Phone minus the actual phone. If it wasn't for the fact that it had to be activated in the store, I may not have noticed, since the manual and accessories weigh more than the phone itself. Oh, and the best part, is that when Best Buy reported the phone being stolen to the police, they reported the wrong phone, they reported the new phone that they gave me in place of the one with the missing phone. So I had to go through the hassle of telling the police that the Best Buy employees were morons.

rolleyes.gif

Either way, I buy with a credit card, nearly everything I buy, even though I don't carry a balance or debt. The added protection and convenience is worth it alone.

-Ed

Heh, my dad bought a hard drive at Best Buy and called me up saying that for some reason it was a PATA and not SATA. Finally figured out that someone had switched the drives and returned it. I was actually surprised that my dad was able to exchange for a new drive since there was really no proof that he got screwed over.

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #51 of 74
I think UPS stealing the Canon TX1 I ordered may have been a blessing in disguise. (trying to make lemonade from the huge lemon I got) I think I will try to get the Canon HV20 HDV camcorder, but it's pretty much out of stock everywhere locally, and is no longer on sale. I missed a sale where amazon.com had it for just under $800.

I am figuring out how to use Sony Vegas, works very well, very easy to use.

I have an ancient, barely functioning Digital 8 Camcorder I've been playing with to edit in Vegas. Works quite well, but of course the footage looks like crap. Garbage in garbage out.

I guess I'll have to wait for the Canon HV20. Unless I can find a butt cheap (read, under $300) Mini DV cam that has phenominal low light capabilities, of course, any that do, bring it within the price range of the HV20.

-Ed

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #52 of 74
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

-Ed

True, I always check my bag/the boxes before I leave any store, but I've had the most luck with the brick and mortar store. Heck, I even check the bag before I leave a fast food restaurant. That CompUSA story is angering, and I doubt I'll ever buy anything from CompUSA since most of the stores in my area are closed.

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #53 of 74
I have worked for courier companies in the past,and this (theft) goes on a lot more then people think.GL op
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #54 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by vibin247 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, I always check my bag/the boxes before I leave any store, but I've had the most luck with the brick and mortar store. Heck, I even check the bag before I leave a fast food restaurant. That CompUSA story is angering, and I doubt I'll ever buy anything from CompUSA since most of the stores in my area are closed.

CompUSA has been on my s#*t lst for a long time since they screwed me out of an extended warranty repair. But they went out of business in Los Angeles and almost completely in California. LOL, FU, CompUSA, Mwahahahaha!

-Ed

Jun 7, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #56 of 74
Sorry to hear that. I had to file a claim for a damaged Sony SCD-1. After the claim was filed, FedEX came by to pick up the package for inspection. They later lost the SCD-1. Luckily, they were responsible and ended up paying back all the money as well as the shipping charge.

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #57 of 74
I checked the progress on UPS's end, here's what the tracking results say:

Quote:

LONG ISLAND CITY,
NY, US 06/12/2007 1:37 P.M. THE RECEIVER CANCELED THE ORDER AND REFUSED THIS DELIVERY

LONG ISLAND CITY,
NY, US 06/06/2007 11:55 A.M. NOT READY FOR PICKUP ON THE 1ST ATTEMPT. A 2ND PICKUP ATTEMPT WILL BE MADE

LONG ISLAND CITY,
NY, US 06/05/2007 3:27 P.M. DAMAGE INSPECTION SCHEDULED

GARDENA,
CA, US 06/05/2007 12:05 P.M. THE RECEIVER REFUSED, THE PACKAGE APPEARED TO BE DAMAGED. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH THE

DETAILS
06/05/2007 12:03 P.M. DELIVERY

What does that mean? I guess the original sender (Company I ordered from) just plain refused the package? Who cancelled the order? UPS? the Company?
confused.gif

I'm hoping my credit card company will take care of it then.

-Ed

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #58 of 74
I think it means that since the company who sent it to you knew there was nothing in the box they didnt want to be charged by UPS to have it shipped back to them. I think.

I know UPS charges the original shipper to send the package back to them and sometimes it costs less to abandon the package than pay for return shipping.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #59 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UPS is the worst mailing service I have ever used.

FedEx, USPS, et cetera are all much better by miles.

X2

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #60 of 74
Quote:

Ouch.

Guess I'm calling Amex then.

-Ed

So, how well did Amex handle the issue? I know for me, Amex has been extremely easy to deal with when I had any issue at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back