UPS Screwed Up?
Jul 9, 2005 at 8:43 AM Post #16 of 36
He's right, but don't worry. UPS often stops providing updates on packages, for reasons I can't discern. It's been this way for at least 6-8 months. They used to have very reliable tracking information. I've had a package delivered and the tracking info didn't get updated for another three days!

Why did you pick a declared value of $38? If that's $38 US, you're still going to be paying the $19 brokerage fee, plus all the nonsense additional fees (about $10) to collect that fee. Remember to convert the declared value to CAD before looking up the brokerage fees in the official UPS fee table:
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

By the way, I just discovered that there is a way to avoid the UPS brokerage fees completely. You can broker the package yourself. Here's how:
1) You place an order.
2) You ask it specifically be sent UPS Ground and that the tracking number be emailed to you asap.
3) Once you have the tracking # you call UPS and say that you will clear your own goods thru customs. At this point the UPS rep will put a "Clears Own" note on your shipment which freezes the shipment in the UPS warehouse nearest you. VERY IMPORTANT TO CALL WITH THE TRACKING NUMBER AS SOON AS IT WAS CREATED.
4) The day after it arrives in the UPS warehouse closest to you there will be papers ready for you to pick up.
5) Pick up the papers at UPS.
6) Bring the papers to the nearest Customs Canada office and pay the taxes and duty.
7) Go back to the UPS warehouse, give them their stamped papers that prove the goods have been cleared.

As far as I know, only UPS lets you broker a package yourself in this way. (FedEx requires you to fill out paperwork in advance to use a different broker.) However, UPS' brokerage fees are so much larger than any other shipping company that it's only really UPS that anyone would want to do this for anyway.

Jul 9, 2005 at 11:20 AM Post #17 of 36
I've had lack of updates on tracking from UPS before. The package got here before the tracking info was updated. Just a waiting game...

Jul 9, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #18 of 36
Garr.. hopefully it just arrives at my door next week. Still no updates.

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #19 of 36
<tracking system was down >

EDIT : Nevermind. It came back up, but still stuck on July 6th. I think they were doing some upgrading to their systems, hence the lack of updates.. possibly? It says "WORLDWIDE SERVICES" next to Service Type now.. :p.

EDIT : And back down the tracking system goes.. jeez.

EDIT : And up again

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #21 of 36
Well.. it is my biggest $$$ shipment to date.. :frowning2:.

Jul 10, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #23 of 36
The HD650s are in that shipment..

(I usually use USPS but the seller wouldn't budge)

Jul 10, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #24 of 36
like USPS is better about keeping up to date on tracking... they let you know that it arrived after you already know it has
icon10.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #25 of 36
Well.. at least USPS has never left me out for dead like this.
frown.gif

I am so very scared right now.

Jul 10, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I am so very scared right now.

Don't worry UPS only lose big thing
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...606&ID=4870197

Quote:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Citigroup Inc. , the world's largest bank, on Monday said account and payment history data on 3.9 million of its customers were lost in transit by United Parcel Service Inc. .

Also they keep you in the black
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Same article
Quote:

Black said UPS usually does not directly notify customers of lost packages. "Normally that's not the direction (the communication) would go, but that's a level of detail we're not going to discuss," he said.

Jul 10, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #27 of 36
July 10th. Last update was July 6th. ARG

Jul 10, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #28 of 36
I hate UPS. I like USPS better for shipping from the US to Canada.

Canadians should never order stuff from the US by UPS. You will get PWNED by their insane brokerage fees.

Akwok, I ordered something last week from UPS and it stopped updating after the 6th too! But then I was relieved to see they just made a long trip to Seattle without updating!

Jul 6, 2005 HODGKINS, IL, US DEPARTURE SCAN
12:19 P.M.

Jul 9, 2005 SEATTLE, WA, US ARRIVAL SCAN
1:23 A.M.

Your headphones are probably still in the UPS truck driving up to Canada.

Jul 10, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #29 of 36
I hate shipping to Canada via USPS because to be able to get tracking on it it costs about $10-20 more for a total higher then UPS. It does make a difference to me since I shipped a total of about 20 times to Canada via USPS and 2 packages never made it and I had to refund the money and lost a package. I shipped outside of north America via USPS 15 times and no packages were lost. Makes me think that someone is stealing items... Don't worry akwok is will come. As long as you have tracking I doubt it will get lost.

-Alex-

Jul 10, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuse
I hate UPS. I like USPS better for shipping from the US to Canada.

Canadians should never order stuff from the US by UPS. You will get PWNED by their insane brokerage fees.

Akwok, I ordered something last week from UPS and it stopped updating after the 6th too! But then I was relieved to see they just made a long trip to Seattle without updating!

Jul 6, 2005 HODGKINS, IL, US DEPARTURE SCAN
12:19 P.M.

Jul 9, 2005 SEATTLE, WA, US ARRIVAL SCAN
1:23 A.M.

Your headphones are probably still in the UPS truck driving up to Canada.

That makes me feel SO much better. Thanks a lot dude!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back