Upgrading Westone UM1s to Senn's IE80....Right choice?
Oct 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

iztis

Head-Fier
Hey guys, planning to upgrade my Westone UM1s which have served me very well for 5 years now (and still continue to!)

Anyway I was out and about planning to upgrade to better sound with more base and was considering multiple drivers like the Westone UM3s until I came across the IE80s mentioned on this boar many times. Also took a look at the thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/569527/sennheiser-ie80s-impressions-thread/660

Now I'm looking for fun sound with more Bass but I also want clarity (though I don't need to be too analytical with the sound just clarity) and hence my switch to dynamic drivers which I have just learnt about!. Are the IE80s the right route to go or should I be looking for something else?

I really like sennheiser now as my HD 558s are serving me very well on my desktop (though I believe the bass could use abit of tweaking :p) so I'm inclined to go with them

All help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks guys!!

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 14
I think the Sennheiser would be a great choice. Also if you want them to be more analytical you can do a simple mod and put a small piece of tap over the bass ports and that will do the trick. You can also upgrade the cable to silver cable to further improve the sound so it's a very versatile IEM.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks lee! I understand you have the IE80s as well from reading the impressions thread. Are they stills erving you well?

Also is £220 considered a good deal at this point in time?

Any other suggestions from anyone is very much welcome!!

Thanks guys!

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 14
I know on Amazon.italy they were on sale for $260.00 so if they are still on sale that would appear to be cheaper. If not you can try contact Razordog deals (American seller) and haggle him down. Maybe he can compare to that recent sale or come close to it.

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 14
wait $260? You gotta be kidding me. That's like 60% off!

Another problem is that I'm in Dublin, so that's Europe and TAX.

What is the current best market price to get it at in US Dollars?

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
wait $260? You gotta be kidding me. That's like 60% off!

Another problem is that I'm in Dublin, so that's Europe and TAX.

What is the current best market price to get it at in US Dollars?

I got my pair for $330.00. But who knows he may be able to compare to that sale or at least lower his price to get closer to it. You'd have to email him though. I'll send you his info via pm.

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 14
THANKS Kaffeemann!!!  I'll get right on it. I used to think that if I was in Dublin I could only buy from amazon UK. My msitake.

Thanks to lee for your help. Much appreciated.

Any last disagreements with my choice of IE80s? Anyy other recommendations you think I should check out? (JVC Fx700 keeps coming to mind as I keep seeing it everywhere where is search for IE80s :p!)

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 14
The FX700 is also an excellent IEM but its got a severe V-shaped signature. If you turn them up much the bass and treble gets overwhelming. They really aren't suited for higher volume listening, which for me is a deal-breaker. The IE80s are more versatile and will work with more genres. I sold my FX700s and kept the IE80s. I did replace my FX700s though with the MDR-7550s :).

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #12 of 14
Well that depends. They Sonys are on the neutral side. So not sure if that is the sound for you or not. The IE80s are on the funner side. Both are really nice but their presentations are completely different.

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 14
Alright that's simple then. I already have my Westone UM1s for neutral sound. I want fun :)

Thanks lee for your help. I Really really appreciate it!

Hope I don't regret the IE80s! Here goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back