Upgrading Triple Fi 10 to Westone 3?
Jun 18, 2010 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tdockweiler

Headphoneus Supremus
How is this for an upgrade?

I've been using my Triple Fi 10's for about three and a half years now without any single problem. They seem to be very comfortable with the Comply foam. I like that foam so much that I now want to make sure to get only IEMs if they come with specific foam!

The Triple Fi 10 has everything just about perfect for me. There is not too much of any one thing. I heard people say that they have recessed mids. I found this ridiculous because I've never experienced such a thing with them, but i've always used them with the Comply Foam.

The bass is very good, but I do not like excessive bass. For example, the bass on the HD-600 is good, but the bass on the Shure 750DJ is a bit too much. Same with the M50, but it doesn't seem to be as "bad". I doubt any IEM could match that amount of bass though!

What I like about the highs is that they never are harsh or hurt my ears. I have big issues with this. One of my favorite headphones is the Shure SRH-840 and the highs are slightly harsh at times and they fatigue my ears. I also can't stand the Beyer DT-880 32ohm because of this. My preference is the HD-600 in this area. I guess what i'm saying is that I want to be able to listen to my IEM for hours without any fatigue at all, just like the HD-600!

I also dislike how some headphones provide almost exessive details. I don't always think this is good. I like the details, but not when it's excessive. The DT-880 had almost too much, but on the AKG 701 it was just about right.

Do you think the Westone 3 is a worthy upgrade to the Triple Fi 10? I really don't need to upgrade them, I just want to try something new and need some variety. I've just gotten tired of the Triple Fi 10, but will keep them forever. For me and my preferences, the Triple Fi 10 doesn't have any weakness. Based on what I've mentioned above, do you think the Westone 3 is something i'd like?

If the Westone 3 is more of a downgrade, maybe you can suggest something else? I'm hoping to stay under $400. I do use an amp. I have two portables and a receiver.

Jun 18, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 13
Westone 3 is not an upgrade over Triple.fi at all in my opinion. I recommend EarSonics SM3 instead - they have a more balanced and detailed sound than Westone 3 and Triple.fi, but the details are very well integrated into the music and sound very natural and musical. Also, the treble is nice and soft on the SM3 and yet still more detailed than any other IEM I've heard - it's really quite amazing. I am sure you will love the SM3.

Jun 18, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
Westone 3 is not an upgrade over Triple.fi at all in my opinion. I recommend EarSonics SM3 instead - they have a more balanced and detailed sound than Westone 3 and Triple.fi, but the details are very well integrated into the music and sound very natural and musical. Also, the treble is nice and soft on the SM3 and yet still more detailed than any other IEM I've heard - it's really quite amazing. I am sure you will love the SM3.

I find myself in complete agreement with pianist and what he says above .,SM3 is the better of the three  and westone 3 is the least natural sounding of the three  to my ears

Jun 18, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 13
I had the W3 and the TF10 at the same time. I personally consider it an upgrade.  Still have the W3 with UM56 tips and they tightened up the bass, and made the highs less bright. Never had a sibilance problem with the W3. Got the TF10 remolded and upgraded with 6 drivers from UM. It's commonly known as the TF18 and it's the best iem I've heard thus far.

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Totally agree. I think the only thing better about the w3 imho is that beautiful westone flush fit and cable. I think the w3 has nothing on the triples sound wise. I have never heard the sm3 but sure want to!!

My two cents...I owned the UE10s and found the fit the absolute worst of any IEM. And when I finally got them in, they would fall out within minutes. Sound wise they seemed a bit on the bright side with muddish mids (that were noticeably recessed). But, sold them off in about 3 months. The Westone 3s have better controlled and defined bass, mids that aren't muddish and sparkling treble that doesn't come off as too bright (like the UE10s).

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 13
I agree about the fit...thus my saying the Westone fit and cable were tops. However, the op doesn't have a problem with the fit and loves the sound. Just don't see the w3 as any kind of worthwhile upgrade to him... but everyone's ears are obviously different, so maybe he like you..would find them a huge upgrade.

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Would the UM56's on my W3 fit on the SM3?

They should fit just fine - the SM3 and W3 have the exact same nozzle diameter. But I am not sure whether the UM56 tips designed for W3 will also sound good with the SM3 though.

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 13
SM3 has received nothing but praise.

Price would be $430 - 345 Euro

The exchange rate is very favourable right now - 10 cents higher (i.e. USD is worth 10 cents more) than what I remember from a few months ago, and even more than a few months ago.

Jun 21, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 13
Completely agree here. For me the W3 were defenitely an upgrade to TF10's. I had TF10 and SE530 and the W3 was exactly was I was looking for when i got tired of the muddiness of the T10 and the too "sharp" sound of the SE530.

Quote:
My two cents...I owned the UE10s and found the fit the absolute worst of any IEM. And when I finally got them in, they would fall out within minutes. Sound wise they seemed a bit on the bright side with muddish mids (that were noticeably recessed). But, sold them off in about 3 months. The Westone 3s have better controlled and defined bass, mids that aren't muddish and sparkling treble that doesn't come off as too bright (like the UE10s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back