Upgrading to Etymotic 4P question
Jan 14, 2009 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Young Spade

Headphoneus Supremus
I wanted to upgrade to these IEMs because of all the great reviews about the high clarity and detail they show.

I am using Super.fi 5s (normal) right now and was wondering if this would be a viable upgrade.

Also, isn't there a resistance adapter that works with the 4P to make it sound different? Anyway, thanks for the answers.

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 23
The Ety's are very cold, dry, and analytical, just so you know.

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 23
Coming from SFP there will be a significant reduction in bass but the treble and midrange will be dramatically tightened up. It's a completly different sound. The Etys are much more neutral and accurate but most would consider SFP's more fun sounding.

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 23
Are you sure you want to do this? coming from Super.fi 5s and into the Ety ER-4 realm can be a shock of your life. THERE'S NO BASS!!!
ph34r.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ok seriously, do you like bass on your Super.fi 5s? if you do, you may not like the supertight and lean but deep bass of ER-4P. Even leaner on an ER-4P>S. But of course you will get the much talked about clarity, speed, resolution and details.

It's always a Love-Hate affair with ER-4, never in between.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 23
Haha oh ok. Well... I was thinking about using them with Acoustic songs mostly. Hmm.. I heard they were cold and I guess I can "visualize" how that will sound.

Ok question, what type of music would work best with these IEMs?

Jan 14, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #6 of 23
Yes, there is a resistance adapter on ebay for $20.

Jan 14, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha oh ok. Well... I was thinking about using them with Acoustic songs mostly. Hmm.. I heard they were cold and I guess I can "visualize" how that will sound.

Acoustic music ( using real instruments as opposed to electronically/electricaly produced sounds) is just the kind of music that makes the Ety's shine. Their incredible detail enables them to reproduce instrument timbre in an extremely lifelike way. I am a musician myself and this particular quality of the Ety's is what has me hooked on them. FWIW, consider this example: I often find myself able to distinguish the two guitars in a classical guitar duet not from their position in the soundstage but from the different sound of the instruments ...

Jan 14, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The etymotics will blow you away. I don't think there's a better headphone for classical music. And unlike a lot of other accurate headphones, the etymotics actually sound musical and fun.

Actually, I doubt it will, to me the Superfi 5 is very underrated and holds itself well against the ER4p.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ER-4 will work best with Jazz, Instrumental, Classical, Strings and even Electronica.

But may not be well suited for Lo-Fi Metal, Rock - the treble gets too funky at times. To mitigate this, I use a good amp because I am partially a Metal head.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER-4 will work best with Jazz, Instrumental, Classical, Strings and even Electronica.

But may not be well suited for Lo-Fi Metal, Rock - the treble gets too funky at times. To mitigate this, I use a good amp because I am partially a Metal head.

Totally agree. I use my Etys with Jazz--Miles Davis, Coltrane,etc--female jazz vocalists--Krall, Barber, Cole--and big symphonic pieces. Just got the P to S cable and with an amp tends to smooth things out quite a bit; however, the Ety 4p is still fantastic with unamped sources. All that said, though, I know nothing about metal, rock, hip hop, trance, etc. Therefore, don't know how they'd sound with those genres

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailzs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pttttt.. There's plenty of bass [size=medium]if you're not afraid of using the equalizer [/size].

Bass boost baby!
etysmile.gif
...they seem to love it!

I think it's safe to say that if you feed the ER4 crap, they will sound like crap. Unforgiving. Great source, great amp and they will perform with strict detail...very true to the source.

Can you handle the truth?

biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #14 of 23
The Etys are phenomenal, I'm truly smitten with them. Additionally, they respond VERY well to amplification, so they can accompany you on your continuing audio journey and will scale beautifully the entire way.

x3 for EFN's post about the genres that work best with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back