Upgrading my Home Theater
May 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

zachary80

1000+ Head-Fier
Here is what I have right now, used for gaming/movies/casual listening:

Onkyo HTS800 system: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-g8dl4fl...=detailed_info
HT-R550 Receiver (basically a TX-SR505)
Front/Center Speakers: 5.00" OMF Diaphragm Cone x 2 Woofers, 1.00" Balanced-Dome Tweeters, 130 Watts Input
Surround Speakers: 3.25" Full-Range Cone, 130 Watts Input

Connections:
Quadcore PC (hdmi for video, coax for audio)
Samsung BDP1500 Blu-ray (hdmi for video, optical for audio)
Xbox 360 (component video, optical for audio)
Wii (component video, rca audio)

Now let's say I want to upgrade it...
Is $300 enough to make significant improvements?

The audio definitely could be more clear, and I'm leaning towards upgrading the front 3 (L/C/R) and moving the current front L/R to the surround L/R. However the biggest setback I see with the sound now is in clarity of the center speaker, but I've heard it should be matched to the L/R.
Specifically I'm looking at upgrading to some cheap polks, but I'm not sure how much better they would be (probably a CS2 and maybe some Monitor 40's or some of the towers that go on sale)

The other main problem is that the receiver does not take audio over HDMI. How much will the sound improve if I'm using the full potential of blu-ray?
This panasonic comes in at $300 on newegg: SA-BX500 - AV Receivers - Shop and Compare at Panasonic

Will I see more improvement with the receiver or speakers?

This is an option I'm not too excited about because of the high long-term cost, and I'm not expecting to have much extra spending money in the next year:
I have a pair of AV123 XLS bookshelves and an Emotiva BPA-1 for my bedroom rig (hooked up to my Sony sacdmodded ns755v). One possibility would be to move those to the fronts of the HT, upgrade the center to an XCS, and get that receiver. Eventually I'd buy better bookshelf speakers for my bedroom

One more question: I'm looking to upgrade the wiring when I move into my new apartment in the fall. I've heard recommendations for gauges 8 through 24.....I'm leaning towards getting cheap OFC 12 because the rear speakers are 25ft.....but I'm just guessing at this point. Any tips?

May 11, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 15
If you have the original XLS version, I believe they have more for sale (and dirt cheap). I had the SLS, and they were awesome.

Not to sound like a fanboy, but you can't go wrong with AV123's speakers. They introduced me to good sound, and I really haven't heard anything else I like close to them. They just sound...good.

EDIT: too bad they've had too many problems with their electronics.

May 11, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 15
Forget about hd hdmi audio. You need mucho $$ for that to really be heard. The best idea is using the XLS and getting a matching center. Decent 12-14 gauge wire is just fine. If you can find some with decent sleeving to protect the wire, great. I do not see a sub. Try the speaker company which has 8" refurbished subs for $80. I think audio advisor has 8" Energy subs cheap too.

I did get a 6.1 speaker setup from the speaker company for $380 btw. Not as good as an av123 6.1 but much less $$. Besides, I have my 550 MKII towers for stereo lol. They slam.

Hmm, you could get this http://www.thespeakercompany.com/LCR...ers-P41C6.aspx

and this

http://www.thespeakercompany.com/ASW...er-P61C17.aspx

And just use your onkyo mains as rears until you can get these

http://www.thespeakercompany.com/P5-...air-P42C6.aspx

The only ding on these speakers is the grill connectors are cheap plastic and tend to snap. The sound is very acceptable though. Think 80% of the X-LS Encore series.

May 11, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by LHS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd honestly save up a bit more and upgrade your speakers. That's where you are going to see the biggest difference in sound quality.

That's what I'd do.

Speakers are, by far, the most important part. I've run great speakers off old receivers and cheap, cheap cable that tenants have thrown out. It still sounds good. using cheap speakers with good equipment (which I've also done) still sounds like cheap speakers.

May 11, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 15
Depends though. If we want surround, well, several nice speakers may be out of range even in the long term.

I have three systems. One nice stereo which is downstairs with the tv, dvd being the main sources. Most of that is stereo and the room is not surround friendly. The 550MKIIs sound excellent and hit hard so all is well. Especially for music b/c my wife does like to jam lol.

Upstairs I am building a 5.2 or 6.2 for gaming. Since this is analogue via my x-fi, well the SQ isn't that great to begin with so I am using the speaker company speakers. This is a balanced approach.

My headphone rig may become the odd man out. However, it is still the best I have for music and detail atm.

So, figure what you really want. Seems that this setup is gaming/movies so a decent 5.1 built around the 506 is going to serve you well. Your little stereo X-LS setup is great for music. No reason to mess with it.

May 14, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dyrmaker83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have the original XLS version, I believe they have more for sale (and dirt cheap). I had the SLS, and they were awesome.

Not to sound like a fanboy, but you can't go wrong with AV123's speakers. They introduced me to good sound, and I really haven't heard anything else I like close to them. They just sound...good.

EDIT: too bad they've had too many problems with their electronics.

I have the original XLS, not the encore. What sorts of electronics problems are they having? Part of the speakers, or their line of electronics?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forget about hd hdmi audio. You need mucho $$ for that to really be heard. The best idea is using the XLS and getting a matching center. Decent 12-14 gauge wire is just fine. If you can find some with decent sleeving to protect the wire, great.
Hmm, you could get this LCR3 - P Series Home Theater Front Speakers - Best Deal

and this

tSc ASW-8 10" Long Excursion 50watt Subwoofer - Best Deal

And just use your onkyo mains as rears until you can get these

P5 5.25-inch 2-way Bookshelf Speaker from The Speaker Company - Best Deal

The only ding on these speakers is the grill connectors are cheap plastic and tend to snap. The sound is very acceptable though. Think 80% of the X-LS Encore series.

For the speaker wire, I'll probably go with the 12ga belden 5000 from bluejeanscable for the front three and whatever 12ga looks good at monoprice for the surrounds

I do have a sub, the 10" down-firing one included with the HTS800 system, which is decent. I've been happy enough with its performance for gaming and movies

You're idea sounds good, basically switching to thespeakercompany for the speakers. And since I already have the sub, I can afford switching the 5 out at once, although their product line-up seems confusing to me

May 14, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 15
If going with TSC, I would get this as a budget 5.1, Your sub sucks man. Trust me it is horrible. My little brother has the same one and I know what he's getting for Christmas.

tSc P Series 6.1 Surround Sound Speaker Package

Easy. Great price for what you get. They are not too bright, not too boomy. Dynamics are a bit limited compared to the X-LS on the bottom and top end. For gaming and movies? A killer deal imo. Better than the parts express HT and light years better than the Onkyo you have.

May 14, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 15
I would wait for Fry's to have one of the tower speaker sales like the Infinity Primus 362, JBL or Polk towers for around 100$. (Infact I think they had some decent Polk towers for like 100$ a pair or something a few weeks back)

These give you decent full range front speakers. Get the matching center online, and then swap out the rears with bookshelfs.With a full range front, the sub will only be doing the really low frequency stuff, so you can save up for a nice sub for later on since you can manage pretty well with full range fronts.

I wouldnt bother with the receiver right now. You really need to go well up the speaker ladder to see any improvements from HD audio. I still use an old sony receiver for my home theater, I'll upgrade the speakers before changing the receiver.

Edit: I shouldve asked if you had a Fry's Electronics where you live first of all :p

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If going with TSC, I would get this as a budget 5.1, Your sub sucks man. Trust me it is horrible. My little brother has the same one and I know what he's getting for Christmas.

tSc P Series 6.1 Surround Sound Speaker Package

Easy. Great price for what you get. They are not too bright, not too boomy. Dynamics are a bit limited compared to the X-LS on the bottom and top end. For gaming and movies? A killer deal imo. Better than the parts express HT and light years better than the Onkyo you have.

The main reason I haven't looked at upgrading the sub is because I will be in an apartment.

I've heard these are useful, Auralex SubDude HD | Sweetwater.com , but does anyone have any experience? Is there a cheaper or better way to have bass without sending it through the floor/walls?

jilgiljongiljing,

Nope, no Fry's or any place with decent deals on speakers near me that I am aware of.

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #11 of 15
A platform for your sub isn't going to do much, the sound waves will penetrate the floor and wall, and there's nothing you can do about that, unless you make your home theatre room floating ontop of foam.

For $300 not much you can do, I'd just buy a BD player or just some movies. Move into a detached house and then buy a new home theatre.

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A platform for your sub isn't going to do much, the sound waves will penetrate the floor and wall, and there's nothing you can do about that, unless you make your home theatre room floating ontop of foam.

For $300 not much you can do, I'd just buy a BD player or just some movies. Move into a detached house and then buy a new home theatre.

Samsung BDP1500 Blu-ray (hdmi for video, optical for audio)

I'm pretty much convinced on upgrading at least the front three with tSc speakers.

I'm also looking at aura bass shakers with one of my old receivers:
Parts-Express.com:*Aura Pro Bass Shaker | bass shaker transducer tactile transducer butt shaker seat shaker
Bass Shakers - AVS Forum

Next 5 years of so a detached house isn't an option. I've got my last year of college (only nice place in the county for students is an apartment) then its to OCS/OTS or probably DC, where either I won't have a choice in housing or I'll be stuck in an apartment.

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 15
Have you considered spending your $300 on wall treatments?

that will probably have the most profound effect on your sound than any other upgrade at this point - by an order of magnitude

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #14 of 15
Bass shaker is pretty much the worst purchase considering you live in an apartment.

If you do want to spend $300 - which isn't a lot - I'd spend all that on just a pair of stereo speakers. A $300 5.1 speaker system is not going to be very good.

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #15 of 15
The best thing to do is purchase the XCS. You can find one pretty cheap on the b stock sales or buy a used one. Then move the XLS to the front LR.This way you will have a balanced front end. This will be a big improvement. Then you can move your current LR to the bedroom to use with the BPA-1. That is a nice little integrated amp you have there from Emotiva. You could also pick up the x-sub used for about $180. I have the subdude under a SVS PC Ultra 12. It won't stop the low bass but it will tighten it up with more control. You should be ok with the blue ray using the current connections. Beldren from bluejeans is good wire. I just set up a 7.1 using Onix Rocket series 450 with master ninja upgrade, rsc 250 master ninja upgrades, elt dpa, 250 MKII and powered by Emotiva with Bluejeans cables. Also have Strata Minis, Onix H34 and XLS Encores. PM me for more info.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back