Upgrading M1 what should i get?
Dec 16, 2010 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Majin

500+ Head-Fier
I've bought the Brainwavz M1 and i really like the sound of it but i want something with a bit more bass. So i've come across 

-Xears Turbo Devices II Titan
-Xears Bullet XB120PRO

Are these any good compared to the Brainwavz M1? or are there any other IEM that would provide a bit more bass?

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
I've bought the Brainwavz M1 and i really like the sound of it but i want something with a bit more bass. So i've come across 

-Xears Turbo Devices II Titan
-Xears Bullet XB120PRO

Are these any good compared to the Brainwavz M1? or are there any other IEM that would provide a bit more bass?

The Turbo Devices II has more bass (quite a bit of it), though the bullet is no slouch either.  They are both pretty clear earphones.

But coming from the M1 and its good build quality and accessory pack, you may be a bit disappointed by the Xears cable, especially since the bullet has a J-cord which you may find annoying (Turbo Devices II has a Y-cord, so no issues there).  And especially since the Brainwavz has one of the best cables in the industry.

Have you looked into the Brainwavz ProAlpha?  It's supposed to be a bit bassier than the M1 (it's basically the ViSang R02, which the M1 was based on).  Plus, if you like the sound signature of the M1, it's a less risky proposition.  It's just 4 US$ more than the Xears Turbo Devices II if you factor in shipping (unless you live in Germany).

I personally have both Xears headphones and like them a lot, but I don't have the Brainwavz so I'm a bit wary of recommending an earphone with what might be a totally different signature.  From the descriptions in the mega-review thread (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-125-iems-compared-sony-xb40ex-ex85-added-12-08 ), the Xears have quite a bit more bass, and you may or may not have fit issues (the Xears housing is nothing bizarre, but it is a bit heavy, and if you like the M1, the ProAlpha will definitely fit since it's exactly the same housing).  

If you still decide to go for the Xears, though, you'll probably get them more quickly since they ship from Germany, and Deutchepost seems pretty quick.  And feel free to ask further questions in that case.

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
whats the big difference between the bullet and TD100? beside that the td100 has a bit more bass.

To be honest, sound-wise, I don't hear a lot of difference.  I consider them more or less equal: the TD100 is a bit brighter, but the extra bass thump sometimes annoys me a bit.

There are other differences, of course:

- TD100-II has a y-cord (symmetric), while the bullet has a j-cord;
- TD100-II may sound a tiny bit sharper, less "liquid" (I barely notice this, but others with better ears have commented on this)
- TD100-II has 5.5 mm nozzles, which is pretty common, so most third-party tips will fit.  Bullet has ~4mm I think, so you need tips with smaller holes.  Sony Hybrids (or clones, such as the ones which I think come with the M1) WILL fit well; that's what I use.
- TD100-II's cable seems a bit stiffer, but maybe it's my imagination.
- TD100-II's housing is a bit heavier.
- TD100-II comes with more tips (3 pairs of silicon tips, 1 biflange pair, 2 pairs of foam tips).  In my package, the biflange was pretty useless, but if Xears has replaced it with one similar to the one that come with their newe earphones, it's decent.  
- HOWEVER, the bullet's silicon tips feel somewhat nicer.  I use Sony Hybrid clones, but the ones that come stock are quite usable.

And to me, personally, I found the Bullet much easier to fit in my ear; the smaller nozzle allows deeper insertion, so I can live with a medium single flange and get a good seal.  With the TD100-II, I had to use MEElectronics biflanges and push the all the way to the housing past the nozzle notch to get a good seal and still have them sound "close".  To ME, that's the biggest difference.

To others, it might be the cord, or the accessory pack.  But since you have accessories from the M1, you should probably pick based on cable preference or price, whichever is most important to you.  You probably won't have problems fitting the TD100-II anyhow because it's the same nozzle size as the Brainwavz M1, so you could just use the exact same tip and get a great fit.  You may want to wear the cable over the ear because the housing is heavier (aluminium vs. plastic), but that's it. 
etysmile.gif

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 5
EDIT: Gah, sorry about the double post... don't know what happened :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back