Upgrading from UE700?
Feb 26, 2012 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ShadedCyan

New Head-Fier
I love my UE700. But I would like an upgrade.
I'm not a basshead. I prefer detailed and bright sounding earphones, good soundstage would be a plus.
I thought of aquiring a custom IEM but they all seem to be pricey.

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated :)

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 12
A direct upgrade to the UE 700 would be the Hifiman re-272. If you like the sound signature on the 700s, you will love the 272s. Almost all sonic characteristics are the same, just done bigger and better. The best highs I have heard on universals, very solid mids and though the bass is not overwhelming in amount, it is very punchy and has a good quality to it. Soundstage is good, though not the biggest you can find in the price bracket, but you don't need to. The 'phones perform great with rock, electronic, acoustic and other guitar/vocal based music in general. Bad for rap/hip hop. Once you have a good seal, these can deliver excellence paired with a good source/amp. I do recommend having at least a dap with a strong headphone out as these need some good juice to drive. An amp would perhaps be better. The build is solid and though these are pretty plain looking, they deliver bigtime.

Source: Personal experience. These were my upgrades from the UE 700 (which are still one of my favorite phones).

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
A direct upgrade to the UE 700 would be the Hifiman re-272. If you like the sound signature on the 700s, you will love the 272s. Almost all sonic characteristics are the same, just done bigger and better. The best highs I have heard on universals, very solid mids and though the bass is not overwhelming in amount, it is very punchy and has a good quality to it. Soundstage is good, though not the biggest you can find in the price bracket, but you don't need to. The 'phones perform great with rock, electronic, acoustic and other guitar/vocal based music in general. Bad for rap/hip hop. Once you have a good seal, these can deliver excellence paired with a good source/amp. I do recommend having at least a dap with a strong headphone out as these need some good juice to drive. An amp would perhaps be better. The build is solid and though these are pretty plain looking, they deliver bigtime.

Source: Personal experience. These were my upgrades from the UE 700 (which are still one of my favorite phones).

The Hifiman re-272 is a single driver earphone no? Then wouldn't it fare worse as compared to the dual drivers UE700? Just a thought...I'm new to this audiophile business and always assumed more drivers usually meant better separation, detail etc.

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
The Hifiman re-272 is a single driver earphone no? Then wouldn't it fare worse as compared to the dual drivers UE700? Just a thought...I'm new to this audiophile business and always assumed more drivers usually meant better separation, detail etc.

Not at all. An IE8, Re-272 or an EX1000, which are single dynamics, are widely considered top-tiers beside other top-tiers multiple driver IEMs like W4, UM3x etc 

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:

UE700 dual bass armature. RE272 dynamic driver.

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
don't you mean dual balanced armature?

Yes, but I didn't know how to spell balanced correctly.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #11 of 12
Ety ER4P and CK 10 would be a good upgrade to UE 700 IMHO 

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
You could always reshell the UE700s to customs. Maybe add a mid driver if you want to change the sound sig, plus you'll still get a nice fit.

I've heard that adding an extra might wreck the whole signature all together. I don't want to risk it since the reshelling by itself would cost more than the earphone..

Quote:
Ety ER-4? SE535?

Quote:
Ety ER4P and CK 10 would be a good upgrade to UE 700 IMHO 

Anyone knows if the CTM-200 will be a good custom to go for? They seem cheaper as compared to the higher end ones I think I can swing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back