Upgrading from the Shure 530s
Jun 7, 2010 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dogen

New Head-Fier
Head-Fi,

First post, so I thought it would be best to give a brief self introduction.

My name is Kevin and I am currently working in Japan on the JET Program. I teach English at two middle schools in rural Kyushu, the southern most main island. I'm also currently working towards becoming a novelist. In my free time, I enjoy reading, writing, riding my motorcycle, and of course, listening to music.

Until now, I have lived with a cornucopia of headphones. I've owned almost all major in ear models under $500, and am currently using a pair of Shure 530s with HeadRoom's Total Bithead amplifier. To be completely honest, I can't tell a huge difference between most headphones in the $100-$400 dollar price range. Granted headphones will have their own flavors so to speak, it was hard for me to say with confidence whether or not I was using quality earphones or not until I bought my 530s. Walking towards the train station from the department store, Saosin's uncompressed 'Bury Your Head' came on, and I nearly collapsed. That is to say, it was the first time I felt my headphones didn't simply have great bass, cost a lot of money, or look really cool. More than anything else, they conveyed to the me the beauty of properly balanced music.

Well, I've lived with these headphones for several years, finally have a real job, and think it's time to take a step up. To me, the inspiration that comes with music is invaluable, and if there is a significant gap between the 530s and the models above it, I'd very much like to hear it. That being said, I'm currently considering the JH Audio Pro 16s.

Before saying goodbye to two and a half months rent, I'd like to ask a few questions that hopefully the members of the forum can answer.

1. Does anyone have any experience upgrading from the 530's to the Pro 16s? If so, how was the leap? How is the difference in noise isolation? Soundstage?

2. One of my main concerns is comfort--I often write and read for up to 7-8 hours on end, but my ears get rather tender even after 1-2 hours using the 530s, and I am thus forced to take 10-20 minute breaks (regardless of the sleeves). Assuming a perfect fit, are the 16's comfortable to leave in for considerably long intervals?

3. How do the Pro 16's scale well with a entry level amp, such as the BitHead?

4. With the recent announcement of the JH amplifier, I'm tempted to wait. Will an extra $500 produce a significant difference, or is it likely to be more of an issue of taste?

I'm basically sold on these IEMs, but I'd like to hear a bit more personal experience before decimating my wallet.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 5
The JH3A is not a matter of taste but actual SQ improvement based on the reviews and the concept of the technology being implemented.  The question is if you can live w/ the limitations and conditions of owning and using it compared to its competition.  The issue of JH's being 'fun' versus Westone ES5's being 'analytical' appears to be a question you would need to answer as well.  Earsonic ES3Pros are also favorites of some that have jumped the JH ship.

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 5
If you have chance to go to the mainland Japan, you should audition the earphones there. So many amazing earphones are made in Japan...JH Pro needs a good amp, I have seen a lot of people using RSA Protector, and there are some who use  Pico Slim. There are other amps too. Using a cheap amp on JH16 is not doing justice on it.

Jun 8, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 5
If you like the SE530s and want to take a step up, you should give the FAD FA-BA-SS a try since you will be in Japan. They might not be the best value compared to customs but they are finely made, comfortable, and the sound reminds me a bit of the SE530s with a bigger soundstage and more prevalent highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back