Upgrading from the HD 448s
Apr 2, 2012 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HeretixAevum

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys

I've had my Sennheiser HD 448s since December 2010 and I'm ready for an upgrade. I've got two major problems with these headphones.

The first problem is the bass response. It's rather weak. It sounds sufficient for acoustic music, but it still lacks any real kick or power. When I try listening to something like Drum & Bass or Dubstep, though, it's just not there. I'm certainly not a basshead at all, in fact I want a somewhat neutral headphone. I have no interest in drowning out details with obnoxious amounts of bass. I just think the low end in these headphones are lacking big time. There's not much bass, and what's there isn't particularly great quality either.

My second problem with the Senns are that they're not exactly sturdy. The plastic body creaks when you move them, they're extremely light (assists with comfort but doesn't exactly lend itself to giving them a 'quality' feel), they feel very hollow and they don't even really look that strong. I definitely want whatever I upgrade to to have fantastic build quality. While I certainly take great care of my belongings, and my 448s are as good as new, great build quality is something I really, really appreciate.

As for musical use, I am prominently listening to a variety of Technical, Death, Black and Progressive metal, as well as some D&B and Dubstep here and there. However, my musical tastes are certainly still growing and I'm regularly trying new things (Dabbling in a wee bit of jazz as of late) so I'm really after the most all-rounder headphones I can find. I can deal with them not excelling in anything provided they aren't utter crap at anything, either.

These are going to be used exclusively for my PC, so they're going to be plugged in directly to my ASUS Xonar DG. This leads me on to the other use for them outside of music; Gaming. I game quite a bit, so this is somewhat important. Whilst I definitely favour musical quality over game audio quality about 10:1, it does lead me to lean slightly towards getting an open headphone instead of a closed one. If there was a headphone that did absolutely everything I wanted and was closed, I'd definitely snatch it up. Being open would just be a nice bonus. The headphones must also be around-ear design, no exceptions. 

I have, of course, had a look myself for some new headphones, and the ever popular ATH-M50 is definitely on my radar. The build quality looks good (adore the coiled cable and the metal jack), I like the sound of the, well, sound (apart from the slightly recessed mids), I like the aesthetics of it and it fits my budget of $150 to $200 (Though I could be persuaded to spend a wee bit into the 200s if it was really worth it). I do have two concerns about it. 1. It's closed, so the soundstage doesn't exist. 2. The general consensus amongst enthusiasts seems to be that it's somewhat overrated / overpriced because the people who give it rave reviews are all noobs who've never heard good cans before. 

So, I know that's a somewhat specific list of requirements I've got there, but if anyone could suggest some good cans to suit my needs then I'm all ears!

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 8
HD449? 
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 8
You can try the m50 or the hfi 580.  The price is good and the upgrade is a fairly big upgrade.  You should feel the difference.  But all your music will need to be in higher quality like 224kbps or better for clean nice sound.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 8
If you're looking for a pair of cans that are versatile but still have emphasized bass I can recommend the Ultrasone hfi-580. I had the hd 448 also but much preferred the 580's instead. Their soundstage was wider than the hd 448's due to Ultrasone's S-logic and are easier to drive also. Switching between the two showed the hd 448 was quieter than the 580 at all volume settings.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:

lol

Quote:
You can try the m50 or the hfi 580.  The price is good and the upgrade is a fairly big upgrade.  You should feel the difference.  But all your music will need to be in higher quality like 224kbps or better for clean nice sound.

Yeah I listen to 320 and FLAC so I shouldn't have a problem telling the difference. Another thing I forgot to mention is comfort is also fairly important to me. I want to avoid having a sore head with long listening sessions or LAN parties. The 448s comfort is sufficient for me so anything equal or better in that department gets a thumbs up from me. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
If you're looking for a pair of cans that are versatile but still have emphasized bass I can recommend the Ultrasone hfi-580. I had the hd 448 also but much preferred the 580's instead. Their soundstage was wider than the hd 448's due to Ultrasone's S-logic and are easier to drive also. Switching between the two showed the hd 448 was quieter than the 580 at all volume settings.

Would there be a significant difference between the 580 and the M50? I neglected to mention I'm from Australia, so the prices aren't quite the same. Also, I'm having trouble finding many 580s period. I can easily get some M50s for $150 shipped, but the 580s (which are harder to find) shipped will cost me $200. With the difference in price there the Audio Technicas seem like better value. 

From what I've read I think I might like the sound of the HFI 580 a little bit more (especially with S Logic) however the comfort and build quality seems to go to the M50. Also, that cable that the 580 has is a bit of a deal breaker for me, it's just too bloody long. The coiled cable the M50 has is just perfect for my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back