Upgrading from the Audio-Technica ES7
Dec 9, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon D1001's sound like they'd fit your needs.

Their bass is a bit muddy though. Recabling fixes this.

I disagree. I owned both and still own the ES7s. To me, the Denon's were a step below the ES7s. I like Grados and enjoy switching from the ATs to the SR60s and now SR 225s.

I also tried Beyer 770s and sold them. The bass was too muddy and I wasn't all that pleased with the mids either.

Take a look at some used Grados in your price range.

Mooch

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really wish I could stretch my budget a bit, but I can't.

Also, aren't full-size headphones supposed to have better sound quality than portable headphones at the same price?

Supposed to? Maybe. Do they? Depends. There are some very good sounding portable phones, and that's without considering IEMs. I've tried a lot of headphones at meets and haven't found anything for $100 that makes me smile like ES7s (except Grados).

Mooch

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I also tried Beyer 770s and sold them. The bass was too muddy and I wasn't all that pleased with the mids either.

The 600 ohm version of the 770 fixes that, but its not anything like the sound sig of the ES7, not even close.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #19 of 20
Sorry, I didn't know you're on a such tight budget. ED8 is a no-no then, lol.

Honestly for $100 I don't think any headphone can be an upgrade over ES7 except you happen to fall in love with the sound signature. ES7 is such an energetic headphone. My advice is to save up more, or compromise with a sidestep upgrade. The nearest I can recommend is the SR325i, try them if you had the chance. The MS1000 is awesome as well, I tried them once. They are selling MS1000 mod kit here, so it is quite easy for me if I wanted to upgrade them, but other regions may not have that convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back