Upgrading from Sugden Headmaster, any suggestions?
Dec 14, 2008 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

chaostheory1980

Head-Fier
Hi i currently have a sugden headmaster amp paired with a pair of sennheiser hd650's, with a Sugden CDMaster as source. Can any one suggest a better amp that properly matches the 650s? I have been looking at woo & little dot, although i think that the little dot could be a step back for me (but i could be wrong) any suggestions are very much welcomed,

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 18
Zana Deux?

By the way, are you using the stock cables on your HD650s? There are quite a few aftermarket ones (Zu, Apuresound, ALO Audio, Moon Audio, etc.) that make a significant difference too.

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 18
You're right, LD at least the III I tried is a huge step back from the Headmaster, which btw is a very fine amp. Don't know about the Woo, but I wouldn't expect improvements, in the best case, just different flavor.

It's all about the direction you want your sound to take, and your budget. Knowing what's what you want to change or improve, the trade offs you could assume, and how much you'd be willing to spend to achieve that, would be good to know to help you better. Just knowing what you dislike in the Sugden would be interesting.

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 18
Cool torpedo -

i have around 500 to £700 budget, which i know is not a great deal when my current amp when bought new is still around £700, but i was hoping that if the amp matches the headphones better, then i would at least see an improvement in the sound.

With the headmaster i get a very laid back & warm sound, which is nice, but i would like it to be a bit more livelier than this

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 18
I found the combo of the Headmaster and 650 too laid back. I purchased my Graham Slee Solo and it is much more lively and more engaging with the 650's.

I would certainly put the Solo on your short list of possibles.

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 18
Chaostheory, making the 650 livelier, specially to do pop-rock enticing, is a tough call indeed. There aren't many amps capable to do that, at least significatively better than the Sugden, unless you go the balanced route and are ready to spend more money.
Being in the UK as you seem to be, I bet you can demo without any expenses the Graham amp. I haven't listened to it, so I can't offer an opinion.
Other option you might wish to try is getting a used MF X-Cans V2 and doing the Rock Grotto mods and using the Russian tubes. This makes the HD6xx much more fun for rock, but you'd have to be ready to accept some trade-offs regarding warmth and resolution.
A third option would be trying a Headamp GS-1. I own one of its bigger brothers and it's a very interesting device which lets the music go through quite well whatever phones I wish to play. Maybe you can find a used one on the "for sale" forums.
Another option would be trying different phones which are livelier and more "punchy". Maybe you wouldn't need to go very far and just trying the HD600.

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the combo of the Headmaster and 650 too laid back. I purchased my Graham Slee Solo and it is much more lively and more engaging with the 650's.

I would certainly put the Solo on your short list of possibles.

Thanks Marco2, just a quick question, what setup that you own do you enjoy the most? I know it depends on the music in question, but could you name your favourite setup per genre?

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 18
the headmaster is at the top tier of amps so there aren't too many that are better than it, more of side steps. it can be modded, but it appears that you just want a different presentation. the hd650 itself is a very vanilla sounding fone, so maybe you ought to look in a different setup all together?

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaostheory1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Marco2, just a quick question, what setup that you own do you enjoy the most? I know it depends on the music in question, but could you name your favourite setup per genre?

Out of all the headphones I own the 650's were the first I purchased and are still overall my favourites. Out of the amps I own I get the best results from the Solo and Earmax Silver Ed. in combination with the 650's.

For me personally the Solo and HD650 is a great all round combo and works well with all genres. Some say the 650's can't rock but I have had much enjoyment from this combo with rock/metal which is what I primarily listen too.

My Grado's get very minimal head time, they gather dust in the cupboard for the vast majority of the time. I find rather than genre determining what I use it is more the source I am using, for example, I use the Headmaster and DR150's for vinyl and with CD I use 650's with Solo or Earmax as the mood takes me.

If the 650's are your weapon of choice then in my experience replacement headphone cables for the 650's have none to subtle affect. I initially upgraded to a Cardas cable and in many respects it was an imporvment over the stock cable but over time I found it a bit lean. The Equinox on the other hand for my tastes was much superior on the 650's.

Replacement cables are quite expensive but for me they are definatley worth it and well worth considering after you have got the rest of your system how you want it.

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 18
I've found the Zu has the same effect on the HD600s (which I prefer over the 650s). Though it results in better detail and separation, the result is a slightly lean sound IMO.

If a re-cable doesn't improve things, then a change of headphones might in order for the OP.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 18
One other route to consider is balanced (look at the Headroom HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears and Rudistor rudistor RUDISTOR;RUDI STOR, HEADPHONE AMPS**** ELECTROSTATICS AMPS*** POWER AMPS sites). Although it is substantially more money and you will need a new headphone cable, I recently moved to balanced with the HD650s and can't believe the improvement in SQ (I used to have an Opera Analog).

There are some good articles here on balanced which include the HD650s review:

6moons audio reviews: Balanced headphones - Part One
6moons audio reviews: Balanced headphones - Part Two
6moons audio reviews: Balanced headphones - Part Three

If you were willing to sell the Sugden and then spend £700 you should be able to pick up a used Headroom Desktop Balanced Amp/PS at a reasonable rate on Head-Fi (there have been a few recently which have the DAC included for sale).

Just another point of view and if too expensive look at the cable upgrade as the other posters suggest - my first upgrade was to a SAA Equinox cable which did make a difference!

Good luck!

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #13 of 18
I had the Headmaster and the 650s. While moving to an upgraded cable will open up the 650s a bit, it will not make the improvements you are looking for IMHO. You may want to try to remove the foam inserts from the 650s to get a more direct sound. If that doesn't do the trick, I would highly recommend trying a pair of 600s before going to a new amp. The Headmaster is a fine piece of equipment and pairs well with the 600s. On the 600s, you could upgrade the cable to the Stefan Art Audio which is a killer upgrade. Both of those moves would be less than a new amp in many cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back