Upgrading from SR325 to RS-2...should I do it?
Aug 26, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #16 of 30
I have a lot of phones at this point including the 325 & RS1. What I'm about to say goes for WELL broken in 325's with bowl pads. The RS1's are a little more 3D, warmer, and more refined so given the choice with most vocal recordings (not all) I would go with an RS1. The 325's however reproduce a drum set better than any phone I've ever heard, that includes the RS1's, W100's, W2002's, and HD600's. Tonally the drum sound is closest to the ETY4S with much more impact.

Because of this quality alone I would never give up my 325's.

Aug 26, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #17 of 30
That's pretty much my feelings as well , 88. I've decided that if I were to get the RS-1s, I'd still keep the 325s...

wink.gif

Aug 26, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #18 of 30
Beagle: When I listened to the Grado line-up, I found the RS-2 best, because it seemed to be the most neutral phone - whereas the RS-1 seemed a little too warm. But maybe you should also try an AKG K240S just for the fun of it - to my ears it blends together several desirable qualities of other headphones (including a little Grado forwardness)... And the comfort is years ahead of Grado.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 27, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #19 of 30
Used rs-1's are the way to go.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've seen them new for $999 in toronto hehe.

Biggie.

Aug 27, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #21 of 30
Blighty,

After reading your post, (since you mentioned the W100
tongue.gif
) I think I may just keep the W100 because it does sound so transparent on some recordings (IMO it sounds the very most transparent with all recordings containing string instruments and in some instances with the right recordings very transparent with some jazz and other acoustic music). Also, Blighty, what do yuou have driving your W100's and RS-1's? What amp and source?

Regarding the RS-1, is this a suitable headphone for rock? (If I were to keep the W100 I would need something else for rock). Would the W100 and RS-1 be a good combo for the majority of this music: rock, acoustic music, jazz, orchestral- (no techno or heavy metal) . . .?

BTW,

BACK ON TOPIC!!!!!

Beagle,
About the RS-1's, I still think that is still think that it's the way to go. But RickG is right; keep the 325's if at all possible. They each excel in different things and hence the reason for keeping both is very much justified.

Aug 27, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #22 of 30
I have owned both and actually prefer the SR325 vs RS2, has very nice bass punch/extension and very extended treble, I could hear nothing from the RS2 that justified price increase over SR325 so it was sold. I use the 325 always with RA1 amp, doesn't sound nearly as good when used with MOHR.

Others may be right about RS1 vs 325, but now you are comparing much more expensive cans.

Aug 27, 2002 at 12:50 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Otoh, I didn't think there was much of a difference between the rs-1 and 2s? Isn't it just the material?

No, the main difference is the size of the chamber. The RS-2 and RS-1 use the same material.

I used to be ambivalent about the RS-1, and actually returned a pair I had gotten new for $460. However, I started missing them and when a good deal appeared on audiogon I became an RS-1 owner again. Still, the ultimate Grado remains the HP-1000 series, IMO, if you can find it.

Aug 27, 2002 at 2:47 PM Post #24 of 30
When I was in my late teens, the object of upgrading (turntable, cartridge, speakers, headphones) was to be able to extract or hear more music.

When you replaced your first $20 cartridge with a $50 one, there was a huge improvement. You heard things you were not aware of previously.

Nowadays it seems we are under a spell that makes us shell out more and more money just to hear a "different" presentation, without actually finding any surprises like we used to when we upgraded.

I listened through my SR125's last night and heard everything that was on the recordings I listened to. Clear, focused, musical.

Going up through the SR225 and SR325 revealed the same musical information but with trade-offs, one would focus more on a type of presentation that was different from the other, without providing any more clues or more musical information.

So it's like I am at the same concert, just changing seats. It's still the same show.

What's the point in spending large sums of money for nothing?

Should I keep my money to purchase music instead?

Aug 27, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #25 of 30
Beagle, you have a case of upgradidious. Only you can find the cure. So far I have been able to avoid this disease by just going straight for the rs-1's. Of course, now those hp-1's are calling my name hehe. For now I am definetly satisfied with the rs-1's (I only listen to rock on headphones). :p

Aug 27, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

[size=xx-small]Originally posted by Beagle[/size]
So it's like I am at the same concert, just changing seats. It's still the same show.

What's the point in spending large sums of money for nothing?

Should I keep my money to purchase music instead?

It's not for nothing, it's a different seat!
tongue.gif

But seriously, I used to fool myself into believing that the best, most convincing and enjoyable audio reproduction was the only thing that I was after, hence the never ending search for perfection. Although this is certainly part of it I now know that I like different headphones & amps for more than their sound alone. I'm an engineering junkie, I love looking at and listening to different designs and have found that different designs, headphones & amps tend to compliment different types of music and recordings. In other words I find this hobby fun!

I suppose I could be happy with that one excellent set of phones/amp/source combo, but I'm happier with a lot of options and to top it all off I like receiving packages!
biggrin.gif
If money is tight and/or you can be happy with the equipment you have, you are much better off focusing your money on music.

I'm sure a reasonable person could argue my need for psychiatric attention.
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2002 at 6:38 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by 88Sound
I love looking at and listening to different designs and have found that different designs, headphones & amps tend to compliment different types of music and recordings. In other words I find this hobby fun!

If money is tight and/or you can be happy with the equipment you have, you are much better off focusing your money on music.

I'm sure a reasonable person could argue my need for psychiatric attention.
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I normally find it fun too. But sometimes I swear we revert back to childhood, when a child has too many toys and begins to get frustrated and whiney and throws them all over the place because he has too much to choose from.

I used to own a system. That was my system. When I bought a record, I played it on my system. End of story. When I upgraded I replaced (via trade-in), not adding more to the inventory.

So I still had the one system. I knew the system so I just listened to the music. Having many headphones and amps, by switching back and forth you are in effect listening to the equipment and how it present the music, or what it does to the music rather than focus on the musical message and emotions.

It's like I'm making out report cards for the children rather than basking in the joy of watching them play in the sandbox. I'm missing the point.

I do believe some sort of therapy is in order, some kind of strict discipline, through hypnotism or whatever. Eventually all this ridiculous nonsense has to stop. When I think of all the money I've piddled away on headphones over the last 12 years, I realize I could have bought the Orpheus, and used the rest for a Ferrari.

I should keep the SR125 and the SR325, and use the Cardas/HD600, AKG K501, X-Cans and spare tubes for trade-in against an RS-1.

With just the three Grados on hand, I can have one type of sound and appreciate the increment increases in sound quality (if it exists as such) without jumping to something completely different and foreign.

Help me somebody

Aug 27, 2002 at 7:37 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle

Help me somebody

lol.

Aug 27, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ

lol.

Aug 28, 2002 at 8:54 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
Beagle: When I listened to the Grado line-up, I found the RS-2 best, because it seemed to be the most neutral phone - whereas the RS-1 seemed a little too warm. But maybe you should also try an AKG K240S just for the fun of it - to my ears it blends together several desirable qualities of other headphones (including a little Grado forwardness)... And the comfort is years ahead of Grado.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

For the very neutral approach, don't go for grados
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back