Upgrading from SR-325i to RS-1, what to expect ?
Dec 10, 2008 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DarKu

Reviewer at Soundnews
So here i am. When i joined head-fi i brought my first pair of grados, it was SR-60, i loved it so much that i upgraded to SR-325i. I Also tried different headphone brands but i nefer found that musicality wich Grados are giving me, is it almost a magical/mystical sound in some way.
So i pulled the triger on a pair of RS-1, i am so happy, you just can't imagine that
o2smile.gif

I will have them on 25 december i think, so, what change can i expect ?
Apreciate everyone who can answer to me
beerchug.gif

Happy tunes!

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 19
I think you'll be greatly dissapointed...

[size=xx-small]maybe not
wink.gif
[/size]
but hey, it's too late anyway so just let is come and surprise you and enjoy!

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 19
I've taken the same road you have--from the SR60s to the 325is. But for almost $700, shouldn't you have asked this question before you "pulled the trigger?"

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 19
I think the main differences at this end of the Grado line (I consider the 325is somewhat as a bridge between the Prestige and Reference series) are not in detail but in presentation. As long as that's what you expect you probably won't be disappointed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Me? I'll stick with my heavy, heavy 325is.
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 19
well, first of all, when i first listened to SR-60 i allready knew that some day i will have RS-1 just because i felt in love with Grado sound so much. I'm sure i will be happy with them, just wanted to know what exactly to expect.
I see that you all have SR-325i, but i want someone with RS-1 to comment here. For me, a better confort will be a huge improvement (SR-325i owners know what i am talking about
wink.gif
)
RS-1 surely for me will be a life keepers

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 19
As a happy, happy RS-1 owner I can tell you that you can look forward to listening longer and enjoying things more. The ability of these headphones to tease out fine detail astounds me more and more each day. Expect to be thrilled at first, and for that appreciation to deepen week by week as the phones break in.

No snide comments from me-- I listened to 325s for about a half an hour before "pulling the trigger" on my RS-1s. I didn't want to settle for anything less.

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 19
I would say you'll be thrown for quite a loop, seeing as how the RS-1 is more of a relaxed, dark 'phone.

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say you'll be thrown for quite a loop, seeing as how the RS-1 is more of a relaxed, dark 'phone.

The modern-day RS-1 coupled with bowls is hardly dark. I still prefer flat pads, honestly.

At any rate, it's a huge upgrade over the 325i's, but if you really like the 325i's that much, the upgrade to them is more along the lines of the RS-2's, honestly. They're more refined and have a bit more bass. Really nice phones, IMO. The RS-2's and RS-1's are still both Grados, but they're from two different eras and sound a bit different.

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So here i am. When i joined head-fi i brought my first pair of grados, it was SR-60, i loved it so much that i upgraded to SR-325i. I Also tried different headphone brands but i nefer found that musicality wich Grados are giving me, is it almost a magical/mystical sound in some way.
So i pulled the triger on a pair of RS-1, i am so happy, you just can't imagine that
o2smile.gif

I will have them on 25 december i think, so, what change can i expect ?
Apreciate everyone who can answer to me
beerchug.gif

Happy tunes!

If you are listening to metal, the RS-1 sound great. I'd sell the sr325 and be content with the best.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 19
I thought the 325s were better for metal because of the metal cups. The RS-1s are not as good with bass attack/detail, but when you listen to acoustic instruments or new age, wow.

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #12 of 19
The RS-1's will still rock but they won't present the sound so upfront and in your face. The sound will be drawn away from your head and the highs will be less prominent. The bass will be rounder and the mids will make you crave for nothing else. The soundstage will seem FAR deeper and the headstage will be greater.

Besides this, the biggest difference will be in delicacy and finesse. Throw on rocking music and you will rock out, but throw on something nimble and the RS-1's will relay that sound to you in spades. You will be entranced. They particularly excel with female voices, strings and woodwings and anything well recorded in a grand hall or church. They will not be as fast as the 325i's but they will be fuller, more true to life in my opinion.

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #13 of 19
i don't even like the 325, it sounds like its on pcp with no subtlety. for angry music i suppose that works great but for everything else nothing comes close to rs-1 in terms of enjoyability in my book. it makes electronica sound not synthetic, gives an organic feel to it. for rock they let the emotions out and gears turning.

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #14 of 19
Thank you all very much! escecialy to Zanth, you told everything i wanted to hear
wink.gif

I apreciate everyone's comments
Yes i'm, listening mostly to clasic rock, but also some metal, jazz, blues, acoustic and classic music
Can't wait listen to them, now i need to have an good tube amp and i will be the happyest man on Earth
o2smile.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RS-1's will still rock but they won't present the sound so upfront and in your face. The sound will be drawn away from your head and the highs will be less prominent. The bass will be rounder and the mids will make you crave for nothing else. The soundstage will seem FAR deeper and the headstage will be greater.

Besides this, the biggest difference will be in delicacy and finesse. Throw on rocking music and you will rock out, but throw on something nimble and the RS-1's will relay that sound to you in spades. You will be entranced. They particularly excel with female voices, strings and woodwings and anything well recorded in a grand hall or church. They will not be as fast as the 325i's but they will be fuller, more true to life in my opinion.

Oh, boy... everything I wanted to express and more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back