Upgrading from PS500, need advice!
Oct 13, 2015 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kalivas

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I just sold off my PS500's that I've been using with a fiio e17. Loved the headphones but am now looking to upgrade. I auditioned the hd800 and the lcd-2's (these are in my used price range). I found the hd800 to be very detailed yet neutral/flat and the LCD's to have a big punch to the sound. They were both plugged into an audeze deckard.

For this reason I'm leaning towards the Lcd-2 (fazor) as my preference. Given my limited time auditioning would anybody agree that the audeze would be a sizable upgrade from the ps500's? Would I be better off with the sennheiser a and a proper amp/dac? Or any other recommendations?

If I do go with the Lcd-2, would anybody have a recommendation for a good dac/amp combo? I'm looking at a used Burson soloist SL right now or a DacMini PX.

Thanks for taking the time to read !

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 2
I happen to own both PS500 and LCD2-fazored.

Ironically, I have the longest head-on time with a pair of HD600's then PS500, then LCD2. HD600's are the least fatiguing headphones among all and sound good whatever juice you feed to them, hands down.

1. I have not auditioned LCD-X before, but I assume used LCD-X should be the same price as HD800's. You may want to check that out.
2. Really wish to ask: have you tried PS500+G cush? You may want to check that out! Very very musical and for me, I don't really care with any specs or measurable parameters; PS500 just blow me out of my mind, and I will only be able to focus on the music itself. I personally don't consider any headphone I've heard on earth can state itself as an overall upgrade over PS500 + G cush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back