Upgrading from my Gradio sr80i to a close back headphones with a $300 budget.
Nov 10, 2013 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pressonly1

New Head-Fier
I have a Fiio combo E07K/E09K and I'm looking to upgrade from my Gradio sr80I to a close back headphones with a $300 budget. I was checking out the ATH M50 but I also like the Mad dog. Questions about the Planar Magnetic headphones, are they really that heavy, is there a real big difference in sound and are they easy to drive? I play a lot of R&B, Jazz and some hip hop .I like some bass but I'm not a bass head.

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 6
Can you try the new ATH-700 anywhere? surely better than the m-50
Although a noticeable upgrage from the 80s is hard to find, I really like them.

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 6
I have a Fiio combo E07K/E09K and I'm looking to upgrade from my Gradio sr80I to a close back headphones with a $300 budget. I was checking out the ATH M50 but I also like the Mad dog. Questions about the Planar Magnetic headphones, are they really that heavy, is there a real big difference in sound and are they easy to drive? I play a lot of R&B, Jazz and some hip hop .I like some bass but I'm not a bass head.

Hello,

The FiiO E09K and E07K combo is a very solid choice and should be able to drive majority of high impedance headphones to decent volume. Just a few question though: is there anything that you like and dislike about the Grado? Hope you didn't drive it using the E09K because of it's high output impedance [10Ohm]. Also, the headphone that you are planning to buy will be used outdoor or indoor only?

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 6
Is that USD 300?  There are a lot of great options out there for closed-back HPs.  You can take a look at innfidelity's wall of fame as a reference.  

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame

I'm using the V-Moda M-100's now and I love them but they tend to be bass heavy so they may not be your cup of tea. But the mids and treble are all clear and sound great.   The NAD HP50 seems to be getting a lot of great reviews.  I'd look into that one now if I had $300 to spend on HPs.

I have the M50s but I'm not a big fan.  They have too much of a V shape sound.  The mids go MIA on me and that treble could really destroy somebody's hearing.

The Mad Dogs are interesting because you can upgrade them to the Alpha Dogs later on.

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 6
I use the E07K for my portable amp and the E09K for the desktop. Starting to have some buzzing problem with the left ear cup. I just need isolation I need a close back my headphones. They will be majority outdoors I take them out once in awhile

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #6 of 6
Check the deals thread here.  
http://www.head-fi.org/t/678077/the-deals-thread-iii-read-the-first-post/1230#post_9966418

The Sennheiser Amperior is going for $160 at Newegg.  I just placed my order!

CURSE YOU HEAD-FI!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back