Upgrading from HE-500: LCD2 or SRS-3170 System?
Sep 9, 2013 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bl42ed0

Head-Fier
I'm currently using a pair of HiFiMan HE-500s with a EF-5/Bifrost combo. I mainly listen to electronic with the occasional rock or classical song. Would the LCD-2 with current amp/dac combo or the Stax SRS-3170 (no clue on dac yet) system be a better upgrade? I've had the HE-500 for about a year now and I'm looking for an upgrade..again lol.

I'm hesitant on the LCD2 as a few friends of mine have heard the LCD-2 after using the HE-500s and actually liked the 500s better!

Ideas?

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 10
Doesn't sound like any of those options are upgrades. All of them seem like side-grades.

Is there something about the HE-500 that you don't like? Can you elaborate what you want out of a headphone?

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 10
LCD-2 is a sidegrade. I've owned both for years. I would say get a speaker amp and get the HE-6 or the LCD-3 with a nice amp like the Mjolner if you can swing the money.

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 10
  LCD-2 is a sidegrade. I've owned both for years. I would say get a speaker amp and get the HE-6 or the LCD-3 with a nice amp like the Mjolner if you can swing the money.

Yup! Quality speaker amp + HE-6 is really really up there. Almost matches the SR-009.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 10
  Doesn't sound like any of those options are upgrades. All of them seem like side-grades.

Is there something about the HE-500 that you don't like? Can you elaborate what you want out of a headphone?

+1

LCD-3 would be more of an upgrade, or HE-6, or maybe even HD 800 with a GOOD amp.

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 10
Electronic is a tricky one. What's more important to you: good bass, or good treble? STAX is great for the genre assuming you're not a basshead.

You could also look at some TOTL dynamics. I know Orthos and Stats are all the rage but I really wasn't impressed with the HE-6 when I owned them.

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 10
Electronic is a tricky one. What's more important to you: good bass, or good treble? STAX is great for the genre assuming you're not a basshead.

You could also look at some TOTL dynamics. I know Orthos and Stats are all the rage but I really wasn't impressed with the HE-6 when I owned them.

I'm going to assume you were way underpowering the HE-6.

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 10

Definitely not a basshead although I do love the rich sub-bass the he-500 has. I love everything about the headphones but I want to try something different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back