Upgrading from HD650: AD2000 or D7000?
Sep 20, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #46 of 63
I am still trying to get the ring in the AD2000 headband stretched a bit, clamping hurts my earlobes after a few minutes. Stretching made it a whole lot better though, so hope is still there
smily_headphones1.gif

It's a shame, since I like the way they sound. Once my D7000 arrives next week, I will probably end up letting one of them go.

Sep 20, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #47 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still trying to get the ring in the AD2000 headband stretched a bit, clamping hurts my earlobes after a few minutes. Stretching made it a whole lot better though, so hope is still there
smily_headphones1.gif

It's a shame, since I like the way they sound. Once my D7000 arrives next week, I will probably end up letting one of them go.

i guess the AT's are on their way out then?

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #49 of 63
These two phones are pretty different from each other. I think you will prefer one over the other. The question is... which one would it be?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #50 of 63
Keep stretching the headband - it'll get there. Plus try the phatpod mod if you can. I also had major comfort issues with mine and couldn't wear them for more than 30 minutes before the clamping became too intense. After stretching the headband quite a bit (the pads no longer touch together - about 1/2'' gap in between now) and doing the phatpad mod, they are now the comfiest and most enjoyable headphones I own/owned.

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #51 of 63
I have already tried the mod and decided against it (which I posted in one of my previous posts btw
smily_headphones1.gif
). In terms of comfort, it is a definite improvement from bearable to awesome. Sound-wise, the mod pretty much stripped the cans of its special "AT magic" - sweetly colored mids were much attenuated.

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #52 of 63
I've used HD650 ("old" version) with balanced Zu Cable from DAC1. After about one year I tried AD2000 (gave them burn-in of about 200 hours) and quite enjoyed their airiness. After about two days I went back to HD650 and realized AD2000's main weaknesses: everything sounded thin and lifeless against HD650 especially with stuff like drums and piano notes. Keeping HD650 over AD2000 was an easy decision.

Later on, I found modded D5000 to be like HD650 but with no veil and slight emphasis on bass. Also, the "new" HD650 are reported by some to lack the veil of the "old" HD650, so this might be another path for upgrade if you're happy with HD650 and just want to get rid of the veil (if you think it has veil at all).

Overall, IMHO, the Denons are upgrade over HD650, while the AD2000s are sidegrade.

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #53 of 63
sounds more like a lateral move to me as opposed to an upgrade

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by bergman2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds more like a lateral move to me as opposed to an upgrade

I was just thinking the same thing.

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #55 of 63
I wasn't necessarily against a lateral move, as long as I liked the new cans enough to justify their presence. I do not find AD2000s lifeless, K701s are - what AD2000s lack in the bass in comparison to HD650 they compensate with more midhighs. Soundstage is more natural on the HD650, but AD2000 is a bit wicked kind of fun
smily_headphones1.gif
Like I said, I still need to work on my new DAC; it is just about coming close to being burnt-in fully, and I have a set of replacement Mundorf silver oil output caps coming this way. That being said, AD2000s definitely have a pleasing sound that I can appreciate.

One thing I learned was the most number of cans I can keep and switch between in active rotation is probably three. Anything beyond that is just too many. K701s are definitely gone, not sure what to do with the HD580s. AD2000 and D7000 are too rich for my blood to keep them both.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #57 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have already tried the mod and decided against it (which I posted in one of my previous posts btw
smily_headphones1.gif
). In terms of comfort, it is a definite improvement from bearable to awesome. Sound-wise, the mod pretty much stripped the cans of its special "AT magic" - sweetly colored mids were much attenuated.

would be interested to know what way you chose for the mod.
that is, what material, thickness etc?
cheers

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #58 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
imo d7000 > hd650s on any music i have

atm i have HFI-780 HD650 Akg 702 and denon d7000

would love to try the d7000 myself. or the ath-w5000. but cost is too much at the moment. want a new dac first.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would be interested to know what way you chose for the mod.
that is, what material, thickness etc?
cheers

Since I had no diver shops around, I went to home depot to get me a yellow 2' tubing (3/8'' OD i believe). It is a good bit softer than the clear tubing they sell, though still rigid enough. I think it was supposed to be some kind of fuel pipe for lawn mowers.

Sep 24, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #60 of 63
I got a knock on my door a couple hours ago and surely enough it was the UPS driver... lo and behold, D7000s are here!

Gotta love the box, it looks about as good as it does in pictures. The phones were surprisingly lightweight, a very solid fit without excessive clamping. Can't decide which one is comfier between these and the HD650s. D7000s look real classy and smell great to boot
smily_headphones1.gif

Do these need a lot of burn in? Maybe it is my amp again, I will have to try it with my SS amp. Bass is definitely tight and nice, not bloated or overabundant. If fact, call me crazy if you will, I think the bass is a bit lacking at my normal listening levels for highs. In other words, I feel there is too much highs that it becomes a bit painful to listen to if I want to bring the mids and bass at the desired loudness. Soundstage is on par with HD650, meaning much wider than AD2000s. To me though, tonality matters more it seems. Some EQing might be in order.

D7000 is ok, but I kinda prefer AD2000 at this moment even with its poor comfort factor and just a tad light bass. In the end, I liked HD650 with alex's cables the best out of the three. As for D7000 being closer to HD650 than AD2000, I will have to disagree; D7000 sounds quite recessed in the mids, which is the biggest difference I notice. To my ears, AD2000 sounds similar to HD650 with a bit more coloration, whereas D7000 sounds totally diffrent.

I also had a new cable for the HD650: double helix "molecule". At first listen, it sounded a bit smoother and extend on top, but I kept noticing highs were too distant sounding with absence of airiness. Kinda remided me of canare starquad DIY cable I had earlier - refined, smooth, just a bit boring and felt like something was missing.

EDIT: I forgot to mention D7000 sounds very refined, I think I will like them a whole lot more if I could tame the highs. EQing it is then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back