Upgrading from HD-580, Suggestions please.
Jan 4, 2012 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

n19htmare

New Head-Fier
I've been using my Sennheiser HD-580 for about 5 years now. I've replaced the pads recently and just want to try something new plus one of the drivers is going out, it's starting to buzz (I've tried multiple sources). I love the sound of the senns, just would like something with a little tighter midbass. 

Would like to keep the wide soundstage and the comfort. I wear these things for hours and forget I'm wearing them. I mean I've often just gotten up and walked off tugging the cable. 

Budget is around $300.

I built myself a mini^3 so that's what I'm currently using, I know it's not a lot of power but it's not bad. Even my modded XtremeMusic x-fi runs the 580s well.

I mostly listen to Alternative Rock and lately been listen to bit a house music. 

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 16
I'm also interested in what happens to this thread. I have 580s (got them used) love the sound they produce and wonder if I can really improve on them without spending a considerable amount of money. From what I've read the 600s are just a small step up and the 650s have rather different sound.

I suppose it all depends on budget from this point

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 16
580 + open back drivers ( i removed the grills ) + pad and cable upgrade won on me over 600 and 650 , and ended to be my sennh. can of preference ..

580 and 600 are not really hat different out of casual rig , difference is  subtle
 600 scales better then 580  on good chains
not that much ... but the difference can be heard .

next step if you really like the sennheiser signature ( very lightweight , disappearing , open stage etc. ) would be again sennheiser ... imo

Quote:
I mostly listen to Alternative Rock and lately been listen to bit a house music.

well  in this case , stepping to the 800 could be too much
biggrin.gif
but i hardly would suggest other cans ( 300$ budget ) over senn 580/600 for your use and likings..

may be change amp / source

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #5 of 16
I loved the senn HD-600 and did not like the Beyer DT-990.

DT-990 reminds me of when I was younger and got into a car - the first thing I would do would be to turn the car stereo treble and bass up all the way..  More bass, More treble - Awesome!

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 16
I think orthodynamics are in your future, namely Hifiman's HE-400.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
I think orthodynamics are in your future, namely Hifiman's HE-400.
smily_headphones1.gif

Care to elaborate?  I  too am a long-time fan of the HD580 but more recently have focused on portables (westone 3, HD25, among others), but I'm intrigued by the orthos. 

Why do you think thats the next step?  And why the hifiman?

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 16
My HD580s have been tweaked but are getting quite long in the tooth having been originally acquired in 1993 :)   The newly announced Senn HD700, Hifiman HE-400, and several others have piqued my interest as possibilities as new main cans.  But like the OP, my HD580s have carved out a very deep level of affection that will be very difficult to replace.

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 16

Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-F1 or AKG K701. All will have somewhat less bass than the HD 580 overall. I would consider all of them "tighter" though. I would pick the K701 or SA5000 if you can only buy/try one (I found the SA5000 too cold and narrow, but it's somewhere between the F1 (warm/happy - bass light) and the K701 (analytical/flat)). 
Quote:
I've been using my Sennheiser HD-580 for about 5 years now. I've replaced the pads recently and just want to try something new plus one of the drivers is going out, it's starting to buzz (I've tried multiple sources). I love the sound of the senns, just would like something with a little tighter midbass. 

Would like to keep the wide soundstage and the comfort. I wear these things for hours and forget I'm wearing them. I mean I've often just gotten up and walked off tugging the cable. 

Budget is around $300.

I built myself a mini^3 so that's what I'm currently using, I know it's not a lot of power but it's not bad. Even my modded XtremeMusic x-fi runs the 580s well.

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:

Care to elaborate?  I  too am a long-time fan of the HD580 but more recently have focused on portables (westone 3, HD25, among others), but I'm intrigued by the orthos. 

Why do you think thats the next step?  And why the hifiman?

The Hifiman is around your price range and is a true upgrade from the HD580, while at the same time sharing sonic similarities(from what I've read).  I suggest the orthodynamic as it has certain advantages over the more common voice coil dynamic headphone.  Other than that, you'll have to spend much more for a true dynamic upgrade over the HD580.

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-F1 or AKG K701. All will have somewhat less bass than the HD 580 overall. I would consider all of them "tighter" though. I would pick the K701 or SA5000 if you can only buy/try one (I found the SA5000 too cold and narrow, but it's somewhere between the F1 (warm/happy - bass light) and the K701 (analytical/flat)). 

I find the k70X is too light and airy for rock, which is the OP's main genre. .....just my $.02 FWIW, but they're better with acoustic genres. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #12 of 16
the k601 will have good impact for rock. works well straight off my ipod as well when i use them on the go and walk around town outside.

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #13 of 16
Jan 8, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #14 of 16
Thanks everyone for suggestions. The HE400 is not out of my price range...I'm really intrigued, reading that thread over right now.. 

Wondering if I should Pre-Order now or wait (and if the price is really gonna jump to 399 after the 13th). From what I've read so far, I wouldn't be doing wrong ordering them.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #15 of 16
I also have a set of 580's that I've had for countless years now and I'm looking for an upgrade. However...my primary listening environment is now at work so I have no choice but to move to closed drivers as its very quiet in my office and the open drivers force everyone else to hear my music.  From searching for awhile now it seems like options are really limited in closed cup cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back