Upgrading from grado sr80i
Sep 29, 2013 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Starset

New Head-Fier
So I have had my sr80's for about one year and I have absolutely loved them. The problem is I need something closed back and at least semi portable (over or on ear I have no preference). My budget is about 200$. I would be driving them off of my iPod touch 5g. I listen to everything from black metal to new age but mainly alternative/indie rock. My favorite bands are the smiths, the shins, the national, tame impala, and the strokes. I don't really care a lot about the size of the soundstage: I just want my music to be as detailed as possible. I am currently taking a sound engineering  and production class so I would be using my headphones for the class as well as for my music. I have looked at the akg k550s but I am worried that they might be a bit to bulky and the cord is pretty long to be taking them anywhere. I have also thought about the ath-esw9 but I am worried that the will be to lite on the treble. My grados have a bit to much treble sometimes but just a little bit not a lot. I also looked at the sony mdr 1r and 10r wich both look really good. I know people have probably asked stuff just like this before, but I did look and had trouble finding what I needed. Thanks

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 17
Soundmagic HP100 have been getting a lot of love lately. Many people are saying that they compare favorably with--if not a bit better--than the AKG K550s.

I use a velcro wire wrap (for computer case wiring) with my K550 cord to keep it more manageable in length.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 17
  So I have had my sr80's for about one year and I have absolutely loved them. The problem is I need something closed back and at least semi portable (over or on ear I have no preference). My budget is about 200$. I would be driving them off of my iPod touch 5g. I listen to everything from black metal to new age but mainly alternative/indie rock. My favorite bands are the smiths, the shins, the national, tame impala, and the strokes. I don't really care a lot about the size of the soundstage: I just want my music to be as detailed as possible. I am currently taking a sound engineering  and production class so I would be using my headphones for the class as well as for my music. I have looked at the akg k550s but I am worried that they might be a bit to bulky and the cord is pretty long to be taking them anywhere. I have also thought about the ath-esw9 but I am worried that the will be to lite on the treble. My grados have a bit to much treble sometimes but just a little bit not a lot. I also looked at the sony mdr 1r and 10r wich both look really good. I know people have probably asked stuff just like this before, but I did look and had trouble finding what I needed. Thanks

Ultrasone PRO 750.

Comfortable.
Velour pads.
Folds.
Built like a tank.
Detachable cable.
Two cables.
Case.

And all the treble you want. It's Ultrasone, after all.

Pretty much the go-to for anyone that likes the lower Grado series sound that want something with a lot of attack, energy, in a closed back form.

Very best,

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #13 of 17
I actually think that I might go for the sony mdr 1r. I don't think that the esw9 will be able some of the faster stuff that I listen to. I tried the hd 25 1 awhile ago and it did not make a good impression on me. It sounded kind of lifeless compared to my sr80is. Maybe they weren't burned in enough. Unfortunately they were taken off display at the apple store so now I have no way have listening to them again. There are not many places that carry hi end headphones around where I live so I probably won't get another chance. The sony mdr 1r has a detachable cable and is supposed to be very comfortable. I have a big head which can make clamping headphones a bit uncomfortable for long use. The 1r is supposed to have a fairly neutral sound which would be good for the wide range of music that I listen to. On top of that they are also supposed to have good detail and clarity. I can get then for about 200$ which is a pretty good deal.

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #14 of 17
Don't discount Focal Spirit One (or the Spirit Pro). It's probably better than the mdr-1r.

The 1r doesn't have good bass extension but on the other hand it has the same upper-mid emphasis as a SR80, with less highs. Maybe you like that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back