Upgrading from E3c...suggestions? (UM2, SE530, Super.fi 5, etc??)
Jun 23, 2008 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mtbiac

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm going on a 2 week vacation to europe and since I'll be on countless trains and planes, I figured this would be an optimal time to upgrade my 4yr old Shure E3c. The thing about the E3c is, I love it. However, there are a few areas which could use some improvement which is where I seek all of your advice...

I want something with a bit more bass. Tight bass. I listen to mostly hip-hop, rock, alt rock, pop, etc. Some classical and jazz here and there. While I consider myself a semi-basshead, I don't want the bass to overpower crystal clear vocals or a nice crisp snare drum. I also think that the high/mid end of the e3c could be clearer. Sometimes I feel that the vocals could be clearer, for example. Other than basically more bass and clearer highs, I really like the sound of my E3c.

Comfort. I want something a bit more comfortable. The E3c don't bother me or anything, but after an hour or 2 my inner ears are certainly sore. I also cannot lie sideways on a pillow as the E3c doesnt lie completely flat against my ear. I also STRONGLY prefer the yellow foamies to the rubber stuff.

From all of my research, I've been leaning heavily toward the Westone UM2. Mostly based on sound quality and comfort. I have considered the Shure SE530, but as the Westone are already at the very tip of my price limit, I think they may be out of my range, and might not even be better than the UM2 to begin with. The Super.fi 5 Pro looked good in the beginning, but once I realized how uncomfortably they looked, I had ruled them out (including the EB) but I may be open to suggestions here (I tried the Metro.fi and found them horribly uncomfy a few years ago). These are basically my main contenders, with a heavy lean toward the UM2. I figure if the IEMs are not comfy enoguh to wear for a couple hours, who cares how good the sound quality is if I'm not comfortable while wearing.

Anyway, any advice is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! (trying to make a purchase online tonight
wink.gif
)

edit: I had owned a pair of ER4P's about 5 years ago, and while the clarity was amazing, I quickly sold them due to the disheartening relative lack of bass (even if this was "accurate"). I wanted something more "musical" to a semi-basshead (more bass yet with the upper clarity) if this makes any sense?

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 13
If you have up to the price range of a UM2 and can't go beyond, the UM2 are what you want. They're much better than the Super.fis and about on par with the ER-4Ps overall (ER-4P are better for some things while UM2 are better for other things).

Price range aside even, from what you describe of your musical tastes, the UM2s seem to be the way to go.

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 13
awesome, thanks for confirming what I had suspected, monolith. Just curious, although this may come back to haunt me, which earphones do you think would suit me best if price were no object, not including custom fit models since I do not have the time...??

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbiac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
awesome, thanks for confirming what I had suspected, monolith. Just curious, although this may come back to haunt me, which earphones do you think would suit me best if price were no object, not including custom fit models since I do not have the time...??

Well, from what I've heard of them (note, not from what I've personally heard), the Triple.fis sound like they're up your alley. The SE530s might be good as well, though they seem to have a lot of muddiness issues, not to mention enormous build quality problems that, alone, make me sure to never buy a pair.

That said, the Triple.fis almost certainly won't be as comfortable, and will definitely be more fragile (unless their build quality is leaps and bounds ahead of the Super.fi 5 Pros).

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 13
3 years ago I went from E3s to E4s; same sound, but far more detailed, more balanced tonally, more musical. Not bas-monsters though, but great for long long travels, engaging and no fatigue.

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 13
monolith;4372799 said:
The SE530s might be good as well, though they seem to have a lot of muddiness issues, not to mention enormous build quality problems that, alone, make me sure to never buy a pair.
Actually, the UM2 has looser and "muddier" bass than the SE530. The main difference between the UM2 and SE530 is the level of detail. The SE530 has more detail across the board. This may make the SE530 more appealing to some, while others will like the musicality of the UM2. Also, the build quality issues of the SE530 have been remedied for quite a while. And finally, Shure customer service is very, very good should there ever be a problem.

Jun 23, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 13
I upgraded from the E3C to the UM2 for pretty much the same reasons you identified, better bass, more comfort, etc. I have bee VERY pleased with them since I got them. There are excellent for sleeping and I can wear them for hours at a time without discomfort. I like the sound very much, so, whatever short commings they may have, it doesn't bother me.

Good luck and have a nice trip.

Brad.

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 13
Very similar to my situation. I'm going on a trip too and I actually just purchased the UM2's last week off eBay. Thanks to this forum, deciding on the UM2's was easy.

I haven't received them yet, but I've got a question for UM2 owners. Are the UM2's comfortable for someone who wears glasses?

I've never had a pair of earphones/IEMs which loop the cable around your ear.

Thanks!

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 13
Given that you already enjoy the Shure sound, I'd suggest getting the E530s. Super comforatable, with all the things you're looking to improve on the E3cs. I've used mine on many trips and they isolate very well.

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SE530s might be good as well, though they seem to have a lot of muddiness issues, not to mention enormous build quality problems that, alone, make me sure to never buy a pair.

I have no idea what you mean by muddiness? The E530s are clean and clear in their sonic reproduction - from bass through midrange to treble. And as far as the QC problems - those seem to be behind the E530s (and on the odd chance they do have a problem, Shure stands behind their product like no one else).

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #13 of 13
i cannot find flaw in the ergonomics of UM2's. I too am using mine for a road trip. What a coincidence!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back