Upgrading from DT 770 Pro 80 ohm to T5P
Jan 27, 2013 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cool1wow

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I am almost about to pull the trigger on the T5P, as an upgrade from the DT 770 Pro 80ohm edition.

After several weeks of reseach, there are some criticisms of the T5P that cause concern, and would appreciate if you can compare the 770s 80 withthe t5p on the following:

1) How does bass compare? I've heard t5p is weak on bass. I find the 770s to have adeqaute bass.
2) How does it compare in long term comfort (wearing 4+ hrs) ?
3) how does it compare in keeping outside noise out? (dont care about leakage)

My requirements in my quest:
1. The best possible all-around sound (for all sound genres, but emphasis on classical crossover with vocals such as hayley westenra) that I can get out of my iphone without an amp
2. closed headphones with excellent noise isolation ( at least as good as my current 770 80)
3. comfort for 5+ hours of wear ( i find the 770s to be very comfortable, wouldnt want anymore pressure onmy ears than currently)

I created a shortlist of "portable" closed phones that i could drive for my iphone. if you feel any of the ones below would be better than the t5ps as an improvement over the dt770 80 i am also open to considering these.

one last thing: I just bought a pair of HD800s for home use, and am wondering does the 770+hd800 give me more variety than t5p+hd800. i also own audio technica ADH 700s and find them to be way too airy and i hate that i cannot hear the low growls of violins on them), and i much prefer the 770s over them as an all rounder.

the shortlist (with comparison against t5p - correct if i am wrong):

ultrasone signature pros ( not as comfortable)
d7000 (dont isolate noise as well)
Fostex th900
jvc dx 1000
T70s (not as much bass, too airy)
AKG KS 505
Kenwood KH-K1000
Denon D1100
Mr specter Mad Dog + stax pads (dont wanna mod)
Ultrasone edition 8s (not as easy to drive out of iphone, and not as comfortable, but more bass)
ultrasone pro 750

Thanks for your help!

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 5
I upgraded from DT770 Pro 250ohms to T5p, so hope my experience sounds helpful.

1) How does bass compare? I've heard t5p is weak on bass. I find the 770s to have adeqaute bass.

I would say the T5p's bass is much better than the DT770 at almost every aspect, especially the ultra deep bass. There's absolutely no way for me to understand why T5p's bass is considered weak in mainstream's comments. The DT770 do have a fairly narrow frequency band around 100Hz which is overemphasised and that makes the sound a lot boomy. But when it comes to the subbass (say below 60Hz), the upper-bass (150 - 300Hz ?) and the speed, accuracy, and transparence of the bass, there's just no way for the DT770 to compete with T5p. 

The leather pads are quite soft and just as comfortable as the velour ones when below 25 degrees(C), but in summer you might need to push your aircon a little bit.

Isolation is better than DT770(velour pads).

1. The best possible all-around sound (for all sound genres, but emphasis on classical crossover with vocals such as hayley westenra) that I can get out of my iphone without an amp

T5p's vocals are much better than DT770, since DT770's mids are actually very weak. And IMO the T5p has a more all-around sound signature than DT770. The only exception might be heavy metal or something like that, but even with this kind of music you still get a much better soundstage from the T5p. 

2. closed headphones with excellent noise isolation ( at least as good as my current 770 80)

Excellent as mentioned above.

3. comfort for 5+ hours of wear ( i find the 770s to be very comfortable, wouldnt want anymore pressure onmy ears than currently)

Well I do feel a bigger pressure from T5p but that also gives me better isolation. I'm not sure about this since my DT770 are 10 years old and probably the headband is getting looser. 

I have only listened to a few of the cans in your list. What I can say for sure is only:
1. No AKG or Sennheiser's closed-backs can be mentioned in the same breath with T5p so far. 
2. If you are not satisfied with T5p's bass, you would not like T70's bass either. 

One last thing, since there are so many comments saying T5p's bass is weak, I doubt if individuals are so different and I just fortunately got a much bassy one than average. So it's always important to listen to the cans yourself before purchasing. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Mercuryknight,

Thanks for such a detailed and thorough response, I really appreciate it. This was exactly all the information I was looking for, and I just pulled the trigger on the t5ps (got them on overstock for $1139 shipped, there is 1 left if anyone is still looking)!  I haven't listened to them myself but after reading your comments about the bass being better than 770 and the current deal at overstock, I couldn't pass it up (there were only 2 left in stock at the time of order).

Cheers

May 12, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for this!  Very helpful :)
Quote:
I upgraded from DT770 Pro 250ohms to T5p, so hope my experience sounds helpful.

I would say the T5p's bass is much better than the DT770 at almost every aspect, especially the ultra deep bass. There's absolutely no way for me to understand why T5p's bass is considered weak in mainstream's comments. The DT770 do have a fairly narrow frequency band around 100Hz which is overemphasised and that makes the sound a lot boomy. But when it comes to the subbass (say below 60Hz), the upper-bass (150 - 300Hz ?) and the speed, accuracy, and transparence of the bass, there's just no way for the DT770 to compete with T5p. 

The leather pads are quite soft and just as comfortable as the velour ones when below 25 degrees(C), but in summer you might need to push your aircon a little bit.

Isolation is better than DT770(velour pads).

T5p's vocals are much better than DT770, since DT770's mids are actually very weak. And IMO the T5p has a more all-around sound signature than DT770. The only exception might be heavy metal or something like that, but even with this kind of music you still get a much better soundstage from the T5p. 

Excellent as mentioned above.

Well I do feel a bigger pressure from T5p but that also gives me better isolation. I'm not sure about this since my DT770 are 10 years old and probably the headband is getting looser. 

I have only listened to a few of the cans in your list. What I can say for sure is only:
1. No AKG or Sennheiser's closed-backs can be mentioned in the same breath with T5p so far. 
2. If you are not satisfied with T5p's bass, you would not like T70's bass either. 

One last thing, since there are so many comments saying T5p's bass is weak, I doubt if individuals are so different and I just fortunately got a much bassy one than average. So it's always important to listen to the cans yourself before purchasing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back