Upgrading from Bose QC15
Aug 12, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #31 of 45
"Hearing hiss" is dependent on a variety of factors including headphone/speaker sensitivity, amplifier noise floor, impedance matching, and user sensitivity/desire to hate cheap products. Price, by itself, doesn't tell us much about a product's performance or whether or not it is a suitable match for a given pair of headphones (and with that there's really no way to give you a good "will this hiss" metric - the Sennheisers are less likely to exhibit it, however, due to their higher impedance and lower-ish sensitivity vs some cans).

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #32 of 45
"Hearing hiss" is dependent on a variety of factors including headphone/speaker sensitivity, amplifier noise floor, impedance matching, and user sensitivity/desire to hate cheap products. Price, by itself, doesn't tell us much about a product's performance or whether or not it is a suitable match for a given pair of headphones (and with that there's really no way to give you a good "will this hiss" metric - the Sennheisers are less likely to exhibit it, however, due to their higher impedance and lower-ish sensitivity vs some cans).
Thanks again for the detailed explanation.

I know I keep adding amps to the already long list but yesterday I found this one, the JDS Labs Objective2. It looks like JDS Labs is one of the dealers but you have more since it's an open source project.

Maybe it would be better to update my amp list and create a new thread to decided which amp I should take. I don't want to keep bothering you with my research, haha :)

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #33 of 45
I highly recommend the DT990 Premiums. I DO NOT recommend the DT990 Pros though. I bought a pair of them to use in a different system and they wore my ears out (BRIGHT) worse than the T1s. Good Luck with your search.

I've done some more research and it seems like there isn't supposed to be a difference in sound quality, only the aesthetics are different (regarding to this website). I'm also having a really hard time finding the Premium version, all I can find is the Pro version.

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #34 of 45
I've done some more research and it seems like there isn't supposed to be a difference in sound quality, only the aesthetics are different (regarding to this website). I'm also having a really hard time finding the Premium version, all I can find is the Pro version.

I just read the article and all I can say is that was not my experience. My only disagreement is with the comment on sound difference, night and day IMO. To be precise though, my DT-990 Premiums are close to 10 years old while the Pros were one year old. Both were well broken in. Makes me wonder if Beyer made some changes in the headphones over the years.

I stand by my comments, but it does make me wonder about current production models.

As I said, the Pros were purchased for use in another room. After the side by side comparison I sold them. I replaced them with a pair of DT-770 Premiums (much harder to find) and am very happy with their sound.

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #35 of 45
I just read the article and all I can say is that was not my experience. My only disagreement is with the comment on sound difference, night and day IMO. To be precise though, my DT-990 Premiums are close to 10 years old while the Pros were one year old. Both were well broken in. Makes me wonder if Beyer made some changes in the headphones over the years.

I stand by my comments, but it does make me wonder about current production models.

As I said, the Pros were purchased for use in another room. After the side by side comparison I sold them. I replaced them with a pair of DT-770 Premiums (much harder to find) and am very happy with their sound.

Now I know why I couldn't find almost nothing about the Premiums, they simply do not exist (source). They're in fact called Edition. Some people say the Edition (or Premium :wink: ) is more comfortable to wear and has a slightly less bass reproduction but still enough.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #36 of 45
Understandable I guess. I looked at the box and it says, "DT-990 Premium Stereo Headphone." The word premium isn't on the headphone itself like the word Pro is on the earcup on the Pro model.

It is true the head clamping on the Pros is tighter. I didn't find it uncomfortable though.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #38 of 45
Hmm, strange then. But it does look the same as the Edition?
get_pimage100.phtml

NEW-Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Pro-Limited-Edition-Black.jpg

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #41 of 45
I joined this forum because I wanted to get some recommendations about headphones.

Based on your original post, you will love the Bose QC35. I have it and it is fantastic.

Since 2013 I’ve been using the Bose QC15 headphones. Personally I think they sound really good but

That is all that matters.

… that’s because I haven’t listened to any other headphones apart from those.

Please do not apologize for your ears' appreciation of the Bose sound.

I’ve read some articles where they explain why they aren’t actually that good sound wise

Trust your ears over those reviews. Those reviewers have probably never owned the product or have not used it long enough for them to know what they are talking about. Bose sounds great.

Now, after four years of use they’re starting to show some wear and tear, especially the ear cups. They do offer replacements parts but instead of repairing I might consider buying a new pair of headphones.

That is fair. You will love the Bose QC35.

Naturally I would look at the QC35 (since I’m used to Bose products) but I wanted to know what else is out there.

There is much else out there.

... the HD 650 has an open back design it isn’t the best choice for me because I’m not always using my headphones strictly at home.

True.

Lastly, if there is a headphone that combines noise cancellation with good audio quality, let me know :) NC is still something I should need so that’s why I keep looking at that kind of headphones.

If you can afford it, yes, keep looking at the noise cancelling feature.

Extra information: I will be using these headphones with my iPhone and desktop pc. What I mean by that is that I’m not using any amplifiers or sound cards. I know that I should be using those to get an even better sound quality but I’m not looking to have that level of quality.

Perfect.

Don't over analyze it. The choice is easy given that you have Bose experience. I have the Sennheiser HD650 and the Bose QC35. The HD650 is primarily for home use. The QC35 goes with me on flights, grocery trips and other errands. Would I ever use the HD650 on a plane trip? Why would I bring that kind of stress to myself? It is open back with very little outside attenuation. Most of the sound will be drowned by the flight noise and my neighbor would hate me because I will have to up the volume so I can hear and that means he or she too can hear. That said, just get the QC35. End your indecision and begin your enjoyment.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #43 of 45
Based on your original post, you will love the Bose QC35. I have it and it is fantastic.
That is all that matters.
Please do not apologize for your ears' appreciation of the Bose sound.
Trust your ears over those reviews. Those reviewers have probably never owned the product or have not used it long enough for them to know what they are talking about. Bose sounds great.
That is fair. You will love the Bose QC35.
There is much else out there.
True.
If you can afford it, yes, keep looking at the noise cancelling feature.
Perfect.
Don't over analyze it. The choice is easy given that you have Bose experience. I have the Sennheiser HD650 and the Bose QC35. The HD650 is primarily for home use. The QC35 goes with me on flights, grocery trips and other errands. Would I ever use the HD650 on a plane trip? Why would I bring that kind of stress to myself? It is open back with very little outside attenuation. Most of the sound will be drowned by the flight noise and my neighbor would hate me because I will have to up the volume so I can hear and that means he or she too can hear. That said, just get the QC35. End your indecision and begin your enjoyment.

Well, thank you for trying to convince me to buy the QC35 but that's not really what I want to do. I'm looking for a good headphone to use at home (with preferable better sound quality then the Bose headphones, though as already explained earlier, they're already very good). So, I'm not looking to buy an upgrade for my QC15's, just a second pair to use at home.

A 600 ohm headphone is best suited for a system using an amplifier.

I was planning to use an amp, so should I go for the 600 then or will 250 be sufficient as well?

Aug 13, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #44 of 45
Well, thank you for trying to convince me to buy the QC35 but that's not really what I want to do. I'm looking for a good headphone to use at home (with preferable better sound quality then the Bose headphones, though as already explained earlier, they're already very good). So, I'm not looking to buy an upgrade for my QC15's, just a second pair to use at home.

I was planning to use an amp, so should I go for the 600 then or will 250 be sufficient as well?
I'm no expert there. From what I read when I was researching my purchase, the higher the impedance the better the bass response. That is a distilled down version from my recollection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back