Upgrading from ATH-MSR7b + FiiO Q1Mk2
Jan 25, 2020 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

iAmRoyDom

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

I've looking through the forums and some other sites but would want some experienced recommendations.

Current setup:

style: Mobile
source: Deezer HiFi (via laptop and iPhone)
dac/amp: FiiO Q1Mk2
Headphones: AudioTechnica MSR7b
(i plug in via the dac's 2.5mm port)

plan: I am saving up for a new pair of headphones that would be considered an upgrade of the MSR-7b

I would appreciate recommendations for either...

1. DAC + headphones
budget total: 1,200~
preferences:
DAC:
--has to be portable (weight doesn't matter as long as it has its own battery)
--i need it to work with my iPhone XS and laptop

Headphones:
--anything that pretty much elevates me from the MSR7b

------
2. I've been looking at the Audeze LCD-2CB (closed back).
I'd love some recommendations on a DAC that...
--is portable (self-powered)
--i can plug my iPhone in
--can play for at least 5hrs

i've seen recommendations but would want a dac that's sure to drive lcd-2cb.

Thanks!

Jan 26, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 16
I've found the Sennheiser to be a nice upgrade from the Msr7b. Overall sound signatures aren't too much different, but the 660s is a better technical and resolving headphone. I was looking for an upgrade from the Msr7b myself, and I feel I found it in the 660s. Couldn't be happier.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 16
I've found the Sennheiser to be a nice upgrade from the Msr7b. Overall sound signatures aren't too much different, but the 660s is a better technical and resolving headphone. I was looking for an upgrade from the Msr7b myself, and I feel I found it in the 660s. Couldn't be happier.

Awesome! Thanks Mhog55! I'll keep these in mind, but would you happen to have a recommendation for Closed back headphones?
I just checked the 660S and sennheiser's webpage says it's Open. X_X

Wait.. scratch the Ultrasone Signature DXP.... I read stuff about it and it's a whole different experience... hehehe.

Any closed back upgrades from the MSR7b would be great.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 16
Awesome! Thanks Mhog55! I'll keep these in mind, but would you happen to have a recommendation for Closed back headphones?
I just checked the 660S and sennheiser's webpage says it's Open. X_X

Wait.. scratch the Ultrasone Signature DXP.... I read stuff about it and it's a whole different experience... hehehe.

Any closed back upgrades from the MSR7b would be great.
Unfortunately, I can't. If you really appreciate the sound from the Msr7b, I personally haven't heard another closed can quite like it. I also haven't purchased many expensive closed back headphones. I kinda save that for the open backs. I can recommend some really good side grades that have a different tonality, but still sound really good. I'm assuming you're after a fairly balanced sound, with a little high end extension? Something with even better instrument separation and detail retrieval than the Msr7b?

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 16
Unfortunately, I can't. If you really appreciate the sound from the Msr7b, I personally haven't heard another closed can quite like it. I also haven't purchased many expensive closed back headphones. I kinda save that for the open backs. I can recommend some really good side grades that have a different tonality, but still sound really good. I'm assuming you're after a fairly balanced sound, with a little high end extension? Something with even better instrument separation and detail retrieval than the Msr7b?

Spot on. I couldn't have said it any better. Yeah, I'm looking for more separation and maybe just a bit more bass than the MSR7b's. (and I need it to be as closed to balanced so my electric guitar/keyboard recordings come out as close as they should)

Still continuing my search and ran into Focal Elegia... how does that one stack against MSR7b? (I'm still comparing reviews though)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 16
If it were me, I'd look into some Beyerdynamic headphones. A couple I've been very curious about are the Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation, and the Beyerdynamic DT177X Go... Sold by Drop. I think these may suit your needs. Maybe do some research on them.

Jan 27, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 16
If it were me, I'd look into some Beyerdynamic headphones. A couple I've been very curious about are the Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation, and the Beyerdynamic DT177X Go... Sold by Drop. I think these may suit your needs. Maybe do some research on them.

This sounds exciting! Alright, I'll see if any of these would do me well. I'll try to see if they are in the local hifi store. Cheers!

(any

Jan 27, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #8 of 16

What do you think about Focal Elegia and how stack up against MSR7b?

I've placed my request at Drop for the DR177X Go anyhow.

Jan 27, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 16
I haven't listened to any Focal cans. This may help - On YouTube, type - Oluv's gadgets focal elex.
He has a binaural listening demo of the Drop Focal Elex. I don't know which headphones you have, but use whichever one that has the most flat and neutral tuning, and listen to the demo. It's not an exact science, but it will definitely give you an idea as to how these sound. From what I hear, I really like them... However, they can be a bit hot and jumpy, depending on the track and recording. This particular headphone could definitely be another option for you.

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #12 of 16
I've been doing some reading and listening and I'd say I'm currently going for Beyerdynamic T5 2nd Gen.
Thanks for all the help Mhog55!
I'm glad you found something to try. You're going to have to let me know what you think about them! Are you buying them from a place with a solid return policy?

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #13 of 16
I'm glad you found something to try. You're going to have to let me know what you think about them! Are you buying them from a place with a solid return policy?

uhh... that's a good point. I haven't thought about it. It's a rare feature where I'm from. I'm planning to get it from Amazon. I see one ships straight from US to PH.

I'll also probably buy around September or so. It took me almost a year to save up for the msr7b. hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back