Upgrading From ATH-M50's
May 8, 2013 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JyeTheGuy

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, i was just thinking "I've had my ATH-M50's for a while, so why dont I upgrade?"

And i wanted to know what would be good to upgrade to!

Looking For:

Nice Punchy Bass
Good Sound Quality
Not too extreme price (200-500)
MUST BE OVER EARS
Good for listening to DnB and similar genres.
Should Have A Decent Weight To Them

I dont mind about soundstage too much.

Or should i just get a headphone amp for my M50's? Like the fiio e5?

May 8, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 17
It depends on you, its a slippery slope and from experience (I have the ATH-M50W white) you may end up just craving more and spend a lot of money. Do you have the funds to go further? If not then getting a fiio E11 for $60 would be a big noticeable upgrade.. or get a DAC/Amp combo like the FiioE17.. though i suggest you find a way to try before you buy.

May 8, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 17
For $500, get a Sennheiser HD600 (can be had for $280 new at some places) and a Fiio E17 (currently $139 at Amazon). It isn't very portable since it is open, but it is very good for the price. 

May 8, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #6 of 17
Hey guys, i was just thinking "I've had my ATH-M50's for a while, so why dont I upgrade?"

And i wanted to know what would be good to upgrade to!

Looking For:

Nice Punchy Bass
Good Sound Quality
Not too extreme price (200-500)
MUST BE OVER EARS
Good for listening to DnB and similar genres.
Should Have A Decent Weight To Them

I dont mind about soundstage too much.

Or should i just get a headphone amp for my M50's? Like the fiio e5?

You are looking for the audio Technica ath ws99. Absolutely superior to dt770, mdr 1r, fidelio l1 all IMO.

Just look up the thread and I'm sure you'll be convinced.

As for source, I'm waiting the the fiio x3 to come out next month. They're supposed to sound as good as a fiio e17, and it's a DAP. Should cost around $180.

May 8, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 17
So the thing is that if you do get better headphones you will need to get an amp/dac for them anyway.  Well not need but I would  highly recommend you get them.  If you have 500 to burn that I would suggest you go for an entry lvl dac/amp.  If you are at all interested there is some very fun DIY stuff out there.  Otherwise the Fiio is an excellent option and so is Schiit magni/modi.  Depending on how much you spend on your dac/amp I would suggest you get Maddogs by Mr. Speakers. Or you could just mod fostex T50RPs yourself if you are into that kind of thing.  

May 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 17
If I were you I'd buy a pair of ATH-AD2000's. Very good PRaT (pace rhythm & timing), tight low end, nicely presented mids. They are a headphone worth listening to. I think they are $599 new, you can get them used for under $500 fairly easily. They are comfortable, fairly lightweight for a full size can. They are one of the best cans for electronic music, will get your toes tapping. I'd highly recommend them. They are one of AT's flagships, not much more needs to be said.

Personally don't like heavy headphones, your neck will get sore after a couple of hours. The lighter the better. You want your headphones to disappear.  

May 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #13 of 17
Looks like the Phiaton Bridge MS 500 may fit your needs - I'm also hoping it will succeed my M50's.

Personally, I can say that while the V-MODA M-100's are great and may be just what you need, wait for the XL pads and impressions on those. The vanilla M-100's tend to have great bass and treble, but little in the way of mid-range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back