Upgrading from ATH M50s need help
Jan 23, 2013 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mattk1011

New Head-Fier
            So I recently just decided that I wanted to upgrade to a new pair of headphones. I loved the ATH m50 but after lurking on these forums for a while now I just thirst for something new and Improved. 

When it comes to genre's of music I love everything under the sun. I enjoy House, trance, dubstep, metal, alternative, funk, country, jazz and classical and I'm really just looking for a pair of headphones that is going to get me the best overall sound for all of these genres. I love bass but i dont want it to be overwhelming to the point of where It drowns out everything else. I more or less like everything to sound crisp and clean. Sound Quality and then sound stage are my biggest intrests. My price range tops off at 500 US Dollars

The model I have been looking at the most so far are the Senn HD650s because they seem to be widely loved around here but i am also pondering things just as the denon 5000.

I currently run the ATH M50s out of my Ipod 7th gen and I use the digizoid Zo2. If anybody dislikes this amp or recommends something else that is better suited for my needs I really will not hesitate to buy it.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Comfort isn't really that big of a deal to me but it doesn't hurt.

EDIT 2: Sorry if this post is repetitive.

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi!

Have you ever considered DT880? I heard good stuff about them and I am too looking for a pair of headphone and amp in your price range. 
size]

Billson 

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 6
Might be a popular recommendation but go with the HE-400.

Other alternatives:

Senn HD 650
Beyer DT 990
Beyer DT 880

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
            So I recently just decided that I wanted to upgrade to a new pair of headphones. I loved the ATH m50 but after lurking on these forums for a while now I just thirst for something new and Improved. 

When it comes to genre's of music I love everything under the sun. I enjoy House, trance, dubstep, metal, alternative, funk, country, jazz and classical and I'm really just looking for a pair of headphones that is going to get me the best overall sound for all of these genres. I love bass but i dont want it to be overwhelming to the point of where It drowns out everything else. I more or less like everything to sound crisp and clean. Sound Quality and then sound stage are my biggest intrests. My price range tops off at 500 US Dollars

The model I have been looking at the most so far are the Senn HD650s because they seem to be widely loved around here but i am also pondering things just as the denon 5000.

I currently run the ATH M50s out of my Ipod 7th gen and I use the digizoid Zo2. If anybody dislikes this amp or recommends something else that is better suited for my needs I really will not hesitate to buy it.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Comfort isn't really that big of a deal to me but it doesn't hurt.

EDIT 2: Sorry if this post is repetitive.

Heya,

Hifiman HE-400 with a new amplifier.

Or:

Mr Speaker Mad Dog with a new amplifier.

Keep your Zo2; you can use it as a pre-amp to another amp to continue using it's bass-enhancement ability. For your new amp, consider the Schiit Magni or a JDS Labs O2.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back