Upgrading from ATH-ES7 to ES10. Is it worth it?
Jul 8, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #17 of 28
if you have your heart set on the 10s i just saw this set for sale:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/560397/audio-technica-ath-esw10jpn-w-box-case-complete

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #21 of 28
I've not used them I'm afraid.

I did notice though that Accessory Jack stock the ES10 and even with shipping from china it works out cheaper than what I paid from a UK-based web retailer.

http://www.accessoryjack.com/Detail.bok?no=1691

I'd understand that people might be a bit suspect of a chinese website selling headphones, but I bought XB1000s from Accessory Jack and they are definitely authentic.

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #22 of 28
I tested the ES10 in a store today... it's really like the ES7's big brother, but I'd have to pay attention to the music to notice the differences (maybe burn-in would change that? My ES7s have more than 500 hours, and after 100 hours I notice a big improvement in the sound).

But anyway, considering a portable rig (I'll be doing other things while listening to music), and the fact that I already have the ES7, I think I'll pass the ES10 (until something happens to my ES7 
biggrin.gif
). And now I'm decided to get the Ultrasone Pro 900 
beerchug.gif

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #23 of 28

Quote:
I thought he meant ES10s not ESW10JPNs.

doh! apparently i wasn't reading carefully. i'm not familiar with the non-W version. what's the difference between them? are they similar? looking on audio cubes the es10s look and sound and are priced a lot like the esw10s, a phone which i thought was not worth the relatively high price of admission.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #24 of 28
I think wind016 has heard both.

I guess they just have slight differences in tonal balance and so suit different genres. Also, the ES10 has titanium cups instead of wood, isn't limited edition and does not have any real leather!
mad.gif

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #25 of 28
hey flavouz,
wondering how you're getting along with ur ultrasone's??
im considering buying my first pair of portable headphones, and was looking into the ES7's and ES10's.....big price gap!!!, is it worth it in your opinion seeing as u were in a similar position once :p.
peacee!!

Quote:
I tested the ES10 in a store today... it's really like the ES7's big brother, but I'd have to pay attention to the music to notice the differences (maybe burn-in would change that? My ES7s have more than 500 hours, and after 100 hours I notice a big improvement in the sound).

But anyway, considering a portable rig (I'll be doing other things while listening to music), and the fact that I already have the ES7, I think I'll pass the ES10 (until something happens to my ES7 
biggrin.gif
). And now I'm decided to get the Ultrasone Pro 900 
beerchug.gif

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #26 of 28
I really like the Pro 900. I listen mainly to drum and bass and other bass-heavy genres, and the Pro 900 is perfect for that. It's also quite clear and the vocals are a bit laidback, but it sounds natural to my ears.

I think they're worth the price tag but they're not really portable (they are quite big... and some people would say they are *too* big to use on the go). And they need an amp to sound great.

But if you don't care about the size, and if you listen to electronic music (the genre that best fits the sound signature of the Pro 900 IMO), I'd say go for it. One of the things I thought when I first started listening to the Pro 900 was "I should have bought these a long time ago"
biggrin.gif

Quote:
hey flavouz,
wondering how you're getting along with ur ultrasone's??
im considering buying my first pair of portable headphones, and was looking into the ES7's and ES10's.....big price gap!!!, is it worth it in your opinion seeing as u were in a similar position once :p.
peacee!!

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #27 of 28
If you like drum and bass, you wouldn't prefer es7 and esw9. I had both of them. Not for best heavy bass, have details but not rich one, definitely triple is not great for electronics, too warm, but still good and conformable to heard, just not worth that money especially for esw9. if you feed proper music, such as female, Hifi music, acoustic, it will bring you a surprise.
 ​
ES10, not worth that dollar if you are not a big fan of it. 
 ​
Recommend: Go other brands 

Dec 19, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #28 of 28

i jus bought a pair of ultrasone 900's :p yayyyy
i wil use them as a portable thou, since i spend waaaay too much time travelling and in the library..
can u suggest a fairly cheap portable amp for these headphones??

and thanks for the reply :D

peacee!!
Quote:
I really like the Pro 900. I listen mainly to drum and bass and other bass-heavy genres, and the Pro 900 is perfect for that. It's also quite clear and the vocals are a bit laidback, but it sounds natural to my ears.

I think they're worth the price tag but they're not really portable (they are quite big... and some people would say they are *too* big to use on the go). And they need an amp to sound great.

But if you don't care about the size, and if you listen to electronic music (the genre that best fits the sound signature of the Pro 900 IMO), I'd say go for it. One of the things I thought when I first started listening to the Pro 900 was "I should have bought these a long time ago"
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back