Upgrading from ATH-AD700 to Q701 (Creative Titanium HD)
Jun 16, 2012 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

phatal

New Head-Fier
I am running the following setup:
Audiotechnica ATH-AD700 (Headphones) + Creative Titanium HD (Soundcard)

I am considering upgrading my AD700 -- All the reading and researching I have done seems to be pointing me to AKG Q701 as a good upgrade path. However, I am concerned that my card will not be enough to power the Q701.

What do you guys think?
1. Should I consider an external AMP for usage with Q701? If so, what would you recommend?
2. I am quite happy with my Titanium HD, but what about pairing another card sound card with a built in amp with the Q701 instead of buying an external amp? How does the Asus Phoebus stack up to the HD Titanium in terms of positional audio and sound quality?

My primary audio usage on my computer is for gaming and it is mostly FPS, so positional audio is key. I do some electronic music production as well.

Thanks.

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
I am running the following setup:
Audiotechnica ATH-AD700 (Headphones) + Creative Titanium HD (Soundcard)
I am considering upgrading my AD700 -- All the reading and researching I have done seems to be pointing me to AKG Q701 as a good upgrade path. However, I am concerned that my card will not be enough to power the Q701.
What do you guys think?
1. Should I consider an external AMP for usage with Q701? If so, what would you recommend?
2. I am quite happy with my Titanium HD, but what about pairing another card sound card with a built in amp with the Q701 instead of buying an external amp? How does the Asus Phoebus stack up to the HD Titanium in terms of positional audio and sound quality?
My primary audio usage on my computer is for gaming and it is mostly FPS, so positional audio is key. I do some electronic music production as well.

I'm an Xonar (& Phoebus) fan, but you might as well keep the Titanium HD, as your into FPS.
Try the Q701 plugged straight into the Titanium HD'd headphone jack first. Maybe you'll like it.
The Titanium HD can decently drive 250-Ohm headphones, the Q701s are only 55-Ohm.
The Titanium HD's headphone jack has a high impedance, which is a negative for headphones.
Where as external headphone amplifier will come with a low impedance, which is better for driving low Ohm headphone.

There are lots of threads on Head-Fi where all they talk about is amping the Q701.
You would want a solid state or hybrid (tube and solid state) headphone amplifier.
You could spend from $65 to $300 adding a headphone amplifier to the Titanium HD.

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Can you recommend something at around the $100-150 price point?
It seems to me like the Objective 2 and Fiio E9 are top contenders for my setup.

The Fiio E9 seems to be a really good amplifier for the price.
But it does come with an impedance of 10-Ohm, which is just fine for headphones that are 80-Ohms or higher.
The Q701s are 55-Ohm, so you would want an amplifier that has an impedance of 5.5-Ohms or less.
I know the O2 has an impedance of well under 10-Ohms.

Search Head-fi for threads on "amping the Q701", there are several of them.
I've heard the Little Dot 1+ hybrid works well with the Q701.

Check Head-fi thread "Amplifiers for Sale" might find a good bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back