upgrading from an emu 0404 usb..
Jun 10, 2008 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

[L]es

100+ Head-Fier
and looking at the echo audio fire 2. according to one reviewer at dolphinmusic, the audiofire series uses the same dac for all it's models + the oversampling has got me piqued... i'm looking for more resolution over the emu 0404 and just as good tonality.

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 22
well the emu sounded just as good but slightly different from an old evs i just recently disposed of.

will be getting the echo in a couple of weeks so it'll be comparison time between that and the 0404.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by [L]es /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm looking for more resolution over the emu 0404 and just as good tonality.

So you need more than 24bit/192khz resolution do you?

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 22
csmr, no, though i can't use 192khz in mac.. i'm actually looking for 16/44.1 over 24/96.

the resolution i'm referring to is the openness of soundstage and resoution of details.. was able to slightly up this by reterminating my anti-cable ic's with phone plugs but still want a more open sound.

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 22
You need some software effects, not a new sound card. Try the KVR forum for advice on effects; you will have to be more specific as to the sound you want.

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by [L]es /img/forum/go_quote.gif
csmr, wow, you can get that sound thru effects ?

will look it up.. thanks !

You can't get more resolution through effects, unless you count things like ASIO4ALL.

As for soundstage, that doesn't really have to do with the DAC except where it overlaps with resolution. Soundstage is a function of the way something is recorded, along with speaker placement (or in this case headphones). A DAC that more accurately converts the music will increase soundstage if there's soundstage there to uncover, but other than that it can't do anything about it (ie. it can't add soundstage to a flat recording).

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 22
Les is a bit confused, he doesn't want resolution, the 0404usb already has way more than enough, or oversampling, that gets done already with the right software (e.g. foobar, anything in windows vista, etc.).
Les I do not know what sound you are looking for. It may be you need to upgrade speakers, headphones room acoustics, etc.. But you can experiment with dsp: most computer dsp is in the form of directx and vst effects. You need the right software to use the effects - maybe others could advise on good software for the mac.

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #10 of 22
He's not talking about bits or sampling rate, he's referring to the overall sound quality. In this case, 'resolution' is synonymous with 'clarity.' The 0404 USB is great, but it's not the end of most audiophiles' searches for the ultimate DAC.

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #11 of 22
A DAC should be expected to produce an accurate representation of its analog input only, which the 0404USB and several other cards do effectively perfectly. If you want a different sort of sound you should make the changes before the dac.

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's not talking about bits or sampling rate, he's referring to the overall sound quality. In this case, 'resolution' is synonymous with 'clarity.' The 0404 USB is great, but it's not the end of most audiophiles' searches for the ultimate DAC.

I think that's what the op meant to say. As I am in a similar situation, can Asus Xonar D2 be considered an upgrade to 0404USB? Or maybe Audiotrack HD2? I bought a Corda Arietta so I don't need the 0404USB (headphone amp) anymore.

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A DAC should be expected to produce an accurate representation of its analog input only, which the 0404USB and several other cards do effectively perfectly. If you want a different sort of sound you should make the changes before the dac.

That sort of logic doesn't really explain why different equipment, even above the $200 level, sounds different. If all DAC implementations were 'perfect,' then they would all sound the same, but they don't. I own the 0404 USB and while it's good for the money, I would not call it my best source, nor would I call it 100% neutral.

Quote:

Originally Posted by florin
I think that's what the op meant to say. As I am in a similar situation, can Asus Xonar D2 be considered an upgrade to 0404USB? Or maybe Audiotrack HD2? I bought a Corda Arietta so I don't need the 0404USB (headphone amp) anymore.

Those cards are probably more side-grades than upgrades. If you want a warmer or more laidback sound signature, you may want to look at the Xonar. I haven't heard the card myself, but my experience with the Burr-Brown advanced segment chips in other equipment leads me to believe it'll sound that way. Just a guess.
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sort of logic doesn't really explain why different equipment, even above the $200 level, sounds different. If all DAC implementations were 'perfect,' then they would all sound the same, but they don't. I own the 0404 USB and while it's good for the money, I would not call it my best source, nor would I call it 100% neutral.

One possibility is that there is added dsp or poor dacs or analog stages in the other chips.
Another is that is psychological effects resulting from reading opinions on audio forums are responsible for the difference in sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back