Upgrading from AKG HD272 - Looking at AKG K701, Sennheiser 595/598, Beyerdynamic DT 900
Feb 9, 2012 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shodopandan

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. Long time reader, first time poster. I'm looking to upgrade from my AKG HD272's. I've been looking around the forums here, and on a few other sites trying to make a decision. Figured a little help wouldn't hurt. 

So right now my setup is pretty simple. I have the 272's and a Fiio e7 and e9. It was my first foray into audiophile headphoneness, and its definitely been a great starting setup. I've been reading a lot about closed/semi/open headphone setups. I want to try an open design I think for my next pair. 

So, I've been looking at the K701's, the Senn HD595 or 598, and the Beyer DT990's. They all fall in the price range I'm looking at. The 272's I own now are great; closed design, good neutral sound, but they lack life. Even with the e7 and e9, they are a little lackluster (which is what I have read and heard everywhere). 

Any suggestions on the cans I listed? Any other cans I should look into? Grado, Shure, Denon?

Any help would be awesome!

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 5
Well, I recommend the HD 598s. They look amazing, feel amazing and sound amazing.
They do need burn in though. I never believed in the burn in theory, until I got these headphones. After about 50 hours of burn in, they sounded incredible, the soundstage is by far it's best feature, however an amp will be necessary if you want the best of them.
Good luck.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 5
I have the HD598 and the DT990pro these two headphones couldn't be more opposite from one another. The HD598 is not going to excite you. It loves the mid range. Where the DT990 loves the high/low ranges. Together both headphones compliment each other beautifully but neither does everything well.
If you are looking at the K701, take a look at the Q701's as well. Suppose to be the same headphone but warmer.

What are you going to be doing with them? Music, tv, movies? What type of music are you listening too?

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 5
I listen to a lot of different stuff. Lately its a lot of electronically inspired stuff. I listen to everything though, so I'm looking for something that has a good all around sound. The 272's are pretty neutral sounding. The ranges tend to be pretty evenly put out, though treble does seem to be in the forefront...but that could be certain recordings. Treble isn't always intense, but I do notice it sometimes. I would like to have a little more bass. For being a closed system, the 272's have a pretty weak bass feel and sound to them. It gets lost sometimes where I feel it should not. 

I'm just looking for something that is an upgrade to the 272's. Something with a little more life. 272's just sound cold to me. Something with a little more warmth to the sound. And a bit more bass and mid-tone clarity. 

I heard that the Q701's were pretty nice...and that they are a pretty different sounding headphone from the K701. Might be the way to go. Is there anything from Denon or Grado I should look at? Or Audio Technica? 

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 5
Denon in these price ranges would be the D2000.  I can't comment on there sound but the reviews have me sold if I ever have the income for a pair.
Audio Technicas you have the AD900, AD1000. Again I can't comment on them but they interest me.
Grados I have no idea. Everything I have read about them doesn't interest me at all but rock isn't my main musical focus and I like to have a soundstage in my music.
I really hope someone can help you with these headphone ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back