Upgrading from a Yuin PK-1?
Jul 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wolfen68

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm interested in hearing some opinions on what is the "Cat's Meow" in portable non-IEM headphones nowdays.  I have JH-13's and love them, but sometimes I want to listen to music without all of the isolation of an IEM (such as while walking near the street).  I currently have the Yuin pk-1's which are also excellent and currently serve this purpose for me. 

Any thoughts on newer portable headphones which are reputed to blow the pk-1's away?  I would be looking for something that would not be too large...so for this use Senn HD25's would be out.

Thanks for any feedback...

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
I'm interested in hearing some opinions on what is the "Cat's Meow" in portable non-IEM headphones nowdays.  I have JH-13's and love them, but sometimes I want to listen to music without all of the isolation of an IEM (such as while walking near the street).  I currently have the Yuin pk-1's which are also excellent and currently serve this purpose for me. 

Any thoughts on newer portable headphones which are reputed to blow the pk-1's away?  I would be looking for something that would not be too large...so for this use Senn HD25's would be out.

The HD25's are small compared to almost any non-iem headphone...

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

I have the PK-1's, and think are great as far as bud's go. They are even better amped. Without an amp, PK-2's may be better because of their lower impedance. Is there an area you find the PK-1's lacking? I'm curious since I love mine, and when isolation is bad or dangerous, they are my go to choice.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

I have the PK-1's, and think are great as far as bud's go. They are even better amped. Without an amp, PK-2's may be better because of their lower impedance. Is there an area you find the PK-1's lacking? I'm curious since I love mine, and when isolation is bad or dangerous, they are my go to choice.

I'm actually very happy with the PK-1's.  My main problem is that they have always been too small for my ears, and fall out easily if I'm walking around.  I tried compensating for this originally by putting some Senn ear bud silicone rings under a set of Radio Shack foams which are thicker.  Now I'm trying them with two sets of modded foams on at once (hole punched in middle).  This actually seems to help the sound as they have a deeper center "bowl" with the double foams.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

I'm actually very happy with the PK-1's.  My main problem is that they have always been two small for my ears, and fall out easily if I'm walking around.  I tried compensating for this originally by putting some Senn ear bud silicone rings under a set of Radio Shack foams which are thicker.  Now I'm trying them with two sets of modded foams on at once (hole punched in middle).  This actually seems to help the sound as they have a deeper center "bowl" with the double foams.

Oddly enough, I have that issue with just the left bud. I don't know if it is because my left ear is a little different, or my movements are assymetrical. :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back